Project X Zone 2 Rant

Lethakitty

So I have been playing Project X Zone 2 for about the last week and I really enjoy the game, however with my progress being only halfway (Chapter 26 out of 40) there could be things that will make my opinion on the game lessen, as of right now I do have one major problem that I think the game does poorly, forced deployment. Unlike Fire Emblem the main characters are not always forced, for X zones case it would probably be Xiaomu and Reiji, Instead forced deployment varies depending on chapter. Deployment spots per chapter are typically 10 with never having more. at the point of the story I am at there are 19 Paired Units who work like one main unit from FE. The main problem started for me in chapter 24 and 25 Beautiful Dangerous Wood Sprites, and Christmas respectively. The two chapters are from a party split in the story. 9 of your units are in the team for 24 and the other 10 are in 25. When Playing FE I tend to make a main team that I use throughout the game and having other units be benched for the playthrough. The problem comes from having the party predetermined to split up. In 24 I had to do 8 attempts just because of half of the team being under leveled. 25 also potentially has the same problem, but I didn't have any problems with the chapter myself. The chapter I am at now 26 still has the problem even though it is not affected by a party split with Kite and Haseo being forced who are units I have benched, the battle is also a defense chapter and I feel like I am just carrying dead weight throughout the Chapter because they will do very little damage to the enemies. What really makes me mad is the fact that some certain characters are naturally going to be decent for the maps, but most of those are in 25's group which is the easier chapter, Example being Yuri and Flynn. They join in Ch 21 You Must Play the Sega Saturn. The beginning of the chapter they are the only unit on the map and the only enemy is Segata who they need to defeat. Following the defeat Segata throws them across the map to a section nobody else can reach soon with 2 boss characters there so no matter what they will be getting good Experience, also they are forced in 22 and the objective says they have to defeat Estelle so once again they are forced experience. 23 they are optional and they are in 25's group. The game encourages shuffling your units per chapter but you don't really find that out till its too late and your already focusing your efforts on one team. and Forced deployment still exists in other chapters so they could force units you aren't focusing on, for instance forcing Kite and Haseo in 26.

. . .so you're complaining that you have to use everything the game gives to you.

While it could be explained a bit better, I don't have a problem with this.  Previous games made it pretty clear that you want to distribute your experience somewhat evenly.

That's always been a thing in the crossover style games like Namco x Capcom. Like Eclipse said. I honestly like games that have you use all of your characters and find this is the biggest flaw of quite a few SRPGs that they don't encourage using most of your units.

I don't have a problem with spreading characters around, its just that its hard to know the game encourages it till its too late and you have half your party underleveled with it being hard to bring them back up since you cant grind and Chapters will be more difficult than a team of your benched can handle

I'm working on beating the game now (roughly ch 36). I don't think it's very good. However, I think exp was handled well. I'm able to use mostly any character at any time as long as I give em enough kills to stay up to par.

No offense but I think it's worth you trying not to create such a big wall of text, and break your ideas down into paragaphs, even though they may all fit together as a consolidated paragraph in terms of content.

I have to admit it was hard to share the experience simply because several teams had certain adavantages like more movement or hitting 4 instead of 2 enemies with their multi enemy attack.
Anyways it wasn't an issue at all to have everyone in your party since you need all the attackpower you can get to defeat the enemies.
And Project X Zone 2 is still not equal to Fire Emblem as for gameplay.