Which Prepromotes are better? FE6 or FE7

Harvey

So which prepromotes are better? FE6 or FE7?

Personally I prefer FE7. If only because not only do they look great but they are just more fun to play with compared to the ones in FE6 where most of them are weak and not fun at all. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of FE6's prepromotes are at least decent filler units when they join; most of them are even pretty darn good. I'm pretty sure you've been told before that the earlygame on hard mode is a goddamn pain if you don't use Marcus. Prepromotes just are not meant to be endgame material, with a few exceptions (Perceval, Niime, Yoder) of course.

I don't have a problem with FE7, except that Marcus and maybe Pent are too powerful for my taste, but despite all of FE6's balancing issues between player units, their prepromotes (with the exception of HM!Perceval) are very well-balanced for the role they're supposed to fulfill. So yeah, my vote's for Binding Blade.

FE6 and FE7 have an abundance of good prepromotes, thats not exactly an easy call, but I think with just how ridiculous Marcus. Pent and HM Harken are alone solidifies 7, despite the fact that FE6 has overall more prepromotes and they are all good to fairly decent for the most part. None of them break 6 to the extent that Marcus breaks 7

Although 2 late game FE6 prepromotes can instant warp and do all tons of good things.

Edited by Jedi

3 hours ago, ping said:

All of FE6's prepromotes are at least decent filler units when they join

They may be decent but I just couldn't put up with Celicia, Dayan and Echinda, Jerrot and Juno as well as Garret but I digress. To me, the prepromotes in FE7 are fun to play with compared to FE6.

Another personal note is that I never saw that much goodness of Percival on my first playthrough so I instead opted for Allen and Lance.

Cecilia does quite good as a secondary healer until Niime shows up. Dayan is a mounted bow user with decent base stats in a game with a rather wyvern-heavy endgame. Echidna really good when she joins and actually still ok-ish at the end of the game. Zealot is one of your better combat units until the end of the isles or so. Juno and Garret are rather bad, true, although the former can be somewhat useful as a 8-move flyer that doesn't require a Whip.

Still, I stand by the claim that all prepromotes in FE6 can be useful for at least a few chapters. In some cases, they could use a little boost (i.e. Juno, Garret, Douglas and to a lesser extent Bartre), but even those units are perfectly fine as filler if you have some spots open on your team.

30 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Another personal note is that I never saw that much goodness of Percival on my first playthrough so I instead opted for Allen and Lance.

HM!Perceval. Although he is by no means a bad endgame pick on normal mode, either.

--

fake-€: Although I might have misinterpreted the question. I think that FE7's prepromotes are stronger, but FE6 does a better job at balancing them, if only because FE7!Marcus is so ridiculous.

I hate how in FE6 prepromotes are either very weak or very good (mostly Percival). In FE7 everyone is endgame material and I like it that way, so my vote is for FE7.

I'd say it in this way: FE6's prepromotes are more important than FE7's.

I could get through FE7's hard modes without prepromotes. I ignored Marcus and it was still not hard to beat HHM.

However FE6's earlygame is almost impossible to beat without him, especially chapter 4 and 7. If you can recruit Zealot / Jerrot quickly he can also make chapter 7, the hardest chapter, a lot easier. Another important factor are their base weapon ranks which make them very handy. Niime and Yodel are fantastic stave user and Percival has superb weapon level in all three melee weapon types.

Are you thinking about 7?  Chapter 8 is long, but nothing in comparison to Chapter 7.

Oh yeah, meant chapter 7 of course.

Edited by Magillanica Lou Mayvin

34 minutes ago, Magillanica Lou Mayvin said:

I'd say it in this way: FE6's prepromotes are more important than FE7's.

I could get through FE7's hard modes without prepromotes. I ignored Marcus and it was still not hard to beat HHM.

However FE6's earlygame is almost impossible to beat without him, especially chapter 4 and 8. If you can recruit Zealot / Jerrot quickly he can also make chapter 8, the hardest chapter, a lot easier. Another important factor are their base weapon ranks which make them very handy. Niime and Yodel are fantastic stave user and Percival has superb weapon level in all three melee weapon types.

Are you thinking about 7?  Chapter 8 is long, but nothing in comparison to Chapter 7.

As for my opinion: I rarely use prepromotes in either game unless absolutely necessary (read: FE6 Chapter 7), but they are significantly more useful in 6, since the enemies are tougher.  In 7, the enemies are so weak that I find myself not needing them since my growth units can do just fine.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

FE6 and FE7 have an abundance of good prepromotes, thats not exactly an easy call, but I think with just how ridiculous Marcus. Pent and HM Harken are alone solidifies 7, despite the fact that FE6 has overall more prepromotes and they are all good to fairly decent for the most part. None of them break 6 to the extent that Marcus breaks 7

Although 2 late game FE6 prepromotes can instant warp and do all tons of good things.

Yeah this is my vote as well.

FE6 Percival does trivializes combat, and FE6 late game is basically the Niime Show, until it become the Niime and Yodel show, but Marcus is just that ridiculous. FE7 prepromote also had a weird place where they are balanced around being used as a pick and play since the game is clearly based around ranked, so they become ridiculously powerful at most points of the game. 

Heck the cheese strats for HHM Ranked probably would use Marcus a lot as well, since he's the go-to guy to LTC Genesis, and this is supposed to be the mode that "balances" him

I do agree that FE7 Prepromote is more needed than 6 though. Playing FE6 HM without Marcus is painful

Edited by JSND

Most of the FE6 prepromotes are decent filler, but I don't really find them fun to play around with considering I drop them either when I get them or use after 2 or 3 chapters. 

Cecilia was the most used though. I guess I just like her using Aircaliber and being a staffbot, but she wasn't too great either. I wanted to use Percival but he wasn't used much either, nor was he as strong as Alance. But he still has good base stats, so he's nice filler. 

Niime works as a staffbot and backup dark mage. Yodel's the same, in fact, it feels like he was added just so people could have a unit who could use Aureola.

As for the FE7 prepromotes, I've only used Pent because of his high stats and looking cool, and Louise just because she is Pent's wife, and gorgeous. I sometimes use Geitz, and I've pretty much unintentionally benched Hawkeye.

Harken looks promising, but I already have Raven promoted and all, and Isadora is just meh. Marcus I never use, don't ask why.

so yeah I guess I prefer FE7 prepromotes, but admittedly I liked using Cecilia in FE6. 

I agree with most people here that the FE6 prepromotes are more valuable because the game is harder. This especially applies to FE6 Marcus, who seems stronger in FE6 despite being significantly weaker than his FE7 counterpart. 

Depends on how you define "better"...

If you mean more valuable, then FE6, considering how hard it can get (mainly the early chapters).

If you mean more powerful in terms of raw power, FE7 without a doubt.

From the standpoint of balance, FE6 wins.

With FE7, they're all useable, but some are far more so, like some of the previously mentioned (much as Marcus can actually fall pretty far if he doesn't proc speed in HHM, and Pent's great bases have pretty eh growths behind him, especially for FE7. But he doesn't care with A staves). On the other hand, it has units like Karla and Isadora, both of whom are pretty underwhelming in FE7.

FE6 has only one who can really tear through the game, and that's Percival in HM. Most of them can enter your party fine, and some are pretty important (Marcus, aka try playing FE6HM legit without him). It's not like there are units who are poor in some manner, but most of them can be useful for something (e.g. Niime's poor growths don't matter as she's supposed to use staves mostly, Garret can be a decent option for Armads (much as I'd pick more than a few units ahead of him), even Juno has flight utility)

I like FE7's premmies more, but I think 6's are better from a game design/balance perspective.

Due to the scarcity of certain promotion items, units who are already promoted are valuable. Units who are pre-promoted AND good are just icing on the cake.

FE7 doesn't have the same promotion scarcity that 6 does, and you can easily promote every amazing unpromoted unit and have a nearly unstoppable end-game party.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Really? Geitz is that good?

OK, maybe not. But Geitz is a good bow option, and the one Warrior in GBA FE that's pretty decent across the board without some crippling issue (And has HM bonuses), especially with instant access to Brave Bows.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:59 PM, Weeping__Dalek said:

FE7, FE6's Prepromotes are pretty crap and FE7's are good

Marcus, Zelot, Echidna, Cecilia, Percival, Niime, and Yoder all say "hi". Because they're not " crap" in the slightest.

4 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Marcus, Zelot, Echidna, Cecilia, Percival, Niime, and Yoder all say "hi". Because they're not " crap" in the slightest.

Ok seriously....explain to me how useful she is. She doesn't even compare to that of Clarine and worst of all, she joins in a desert chapter which further worsens her usability.

Cecilia has the same magic as a level 20 promoted Clarine. She's a bit tankier but slower than her.
Tbf I don't find her that great unlike most others and somewhat overrated because base stave level C is bleh, but she's far away of being crap.
Mounted units, especially healers rule in FE6.

Cecilia is basically Horse + Mount just being good in general

What FE6 somewhat lack to my memory is actually powerful growth unit. Because you literally have Allance, Shin, and Rutger for a full list

The fact that Cecilia can do more than transport is ok enough but doing that while being able to considerably chips down stuff is great. Her staff rank didnt become a huge problem since she already have Barrier Acess and Mend heals enough, and when you need the powerhouse staves, Niime is overpowered as fuck anyway 

Edited by JSND

Also, while all three of the early healers are viable, it's not really a good idea to actively train more than one of them. So while Cecilia will probably never be your best healer, she will certainly be Nr. 2 until Niime arrives, without the player having to put any effort into staff-grinding her. Access to Physic staves would have been nice, but isn't Niime's Physic the second one you can get anyway? Her combat is kinda bad, but Anima is a really good weapon class: targets Res, has very good accuracy, 1-2 range and Aircalibur to smack wyverns, so she can deal some decent chip damage when there's nothing else for her to do. All in all, she's a great example that base stats aren't everything.

And 2 movement in the desert is the same as an unpromoted foot unit, so really not as big a deal as your're suggesting. Not to mention that Cecila has low con (so she can be rescued quite easily), high aid (so she can help other units progressing) and Canto (so she can help other units progressing even better).

I just use Cecilia for staffbot work and occasionally killing some enemies with Aircalibur. I kind of find it fun to use her.

So, yeah, she's not really much of a bad unit.