Bow Knight OP?

poptdp

So hear me out. I have a Bow Knight Build for my avatar as it has always been my favourite class (bow is my favourite weapon and get to ride a horse). In my main Lunatic Revelations file I've managed to make a near indestructible build for it and I will tell you why. 

+Speed/-Luck

Weapon:

Steel Bow +7

Skills:

Aether

Galeforce

Point Blank

Hoshidan Unity

Quixotic

All I do is leave him in the middle of a field and he kills everyone no matter how strong they are. They will hurt him or at least get him down to a quarter health. With HU and Quixotic, he almost always procs Aether to heal+kill. Also with Point Blank, the bow becomes the strongest 1-2 range weapon as Shurikens are weak and Magic isn't as strong either. Also, other magic weapons such as Levin Sword do not allow skill procs. Galeforce is there so on player phase I can kill an enemy AND put myself in a favourable position after. The mobility is why I choose Bow Knight over Sniper or Adventurer.

What do do you think? Can you think of a stronger build than this? Either for a Bow Knight or other classes for soloing maps?

Edited by poptdp

I don't know about stronger, but I like a similar build for a Ballistician, but without Galeforce, instead opting for one of two Class-exclusive Skills - one that allows me to Cannon someone at the start of the turn, one that changes my Cannon's range/Hitbox, switching between them depending on what the Chapter requires. I beat up Garon in Birthright on the level in the entertainment city long before I got Aether just because Cannon+Great Lord Mozu. I'd say give your character a try as Ballistician and see if Cannon makes a difference(I mean, if you're just letting them crash against you, then using Cannon isn't wasting your turn, right?).

That is a lotta pointless DLC skills.

Not gonna go into why damage stack and incomparable's are the only things that matter or why overgrinding that hard in the easiest path is thilly, but I will say that you've successfully used 4 skills to replicate Nhorian Trust.

Edited by joshcja

The Bow Knight setup I had in mind was something like Mag+/?- (luck or skill or something IDK) and Trample, Bowfaire, and some combination of Quick Draw, Strong Riposte, Shurikenbreaker, and Tomebreaker. Elbow Room is probably a good consolidation to replace QD and SR and Malefic Aura might be good since it's made for the Shining Bow. Trample is esp good for a bow class since you get bonus damage on things that aren't already weak to your bows (both regular and Hunting Bow for beast units), and Shining Bow basically destroys Knights anyway so

7 hours ago, joshcja said:

That is a lotta pointless DLC skills.

Not gonna go into why damage stack and incomparable's are the only things that matter or why overgrinding that hard in the easiest path is thilly, but I will say that you've successfully used 4 skills to replicate Nhorian Trust.

Wouldn't Aether be the only thing affected by Nohrian Trust? Also that skill requires you to be paired up. This set uses Galeforce as part of its strategy which you can't be paired up for

7 hours ago, BANRYU said:

The Bow Knight setup I had in mind was something like Mag+/?- (luck or skill or something IDK) and Trample, Bowfaire, and some combination of Quick Draw, Strong Riposte, Shurikenbreaker, and Tomebreaker. Elbow Room is probably a good consolidation to replace QD and SR and Malefic Aura might be good since it's made for the Shining Bow. Trample is esp good for a bow class since you get bonus damage on things that aren't already weak to your bows (both regular and Hunting Bow for beast units), and Shining Bow basically destroys Knights anyway so

Definitely an interesting set. But Shining Bow wouldn't allow the use of Aether or other skills

I'm sure you could achieve the exact same thing with a Dark Knight Corrin or Mechanist Corrin really

Putting a +7 and procstack on anything is guaranteed to break it... Nothing to do with Bow Knight.

Bow Knight isn't OP. +7 forges are OP. You can even do a self-healing build without tons of DLC skills simply by using Vantage/Vengeance Nosferatu. Edit: Nope, as pointed out. I need to not say silly things.

Also, it's Revelation. Still amazes me that there are people who insist on getting that wrong.

Edited by Seafarer

5 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Bow Knight isn't OP. +7 forges are OP. You can even do a self-healing build without tons of DLC skills simply by using Vantage/Vengeance Nosferatu.

Also, it's Revelation. Still amazes me that there are people who insist on getting that wrong.

Bold: Erm, no. You can't activate skills with Nosferatu.

Anyways, I wouldn't say Bow Knight is OP so much as it is the scale of the prep you did that is, and even that's debatable - three level 15 skills, one of which is iffy at best (Quixotic), and another that got nerfed (Galeforce). Also, as to Point Blank... Meh. It's nice and all, but personally, I feel that I could put the skill slot it takes up to better use.

On 20.3.2017 at 5:19 PM, SoulWeaver said:

I don't know about stronger, but I like a similar build for a Ballistician, but without Galeforce, instead opting for one of two Class-exclusive Skills - one that allows me to Cannon someone at the start of the turn, one that changes my Cannon's range/Hitbox, switching between them depending on what the Chapter requires. I beat up Garon in Birthright on the level in the entertainment city long before I got Aether just because Cannon+Great Lord Mozu. I'd say give your character a try as Ballistician and see if Cannon makes a difference(I mean, if you're just letting them crash against you, then using Cannon isn't wasting your turn, right?).

Without meaning to hijack the topic, I simply had to ask:

What about switching Mozu to Great Lord makes her able to kill Garon on Birthright's Chapter 12 after shooting him with Cannon? I'm currently playing through Birthright again (Chapter 9 right now) and haven't used the seal for Great Lord yet, so knowing that would greatly help.

As for the topic, I personally feel unsafe with using magic weapons (Levin Sword, Bolt Axe, Bolt Naginata, Shining Bow, Flame Shuriken) on a solo run (which the OP appears to be doing, which is awesome in its own right), since they bog down your Avoid by quite a bit.

23 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Without meaning to hijack the topic, I simply had to ask:

What about switching Mozu to Great Lord makes her able to kill Garon on Birthright's Chapter 12 after shooting him with Cannon? I'm currently playing through Birthright again (Chapter 9 right now) and haven't used the seal for Great Lord yet, so knowing that would greatly help.

As for the topic, I personally feel unsafe with using magic weapons (Levin Sword, Bolt Axe, Bolt Naginata, Shining Bow, Flame Shuriken) on a solo run (which the OP appears to be doing, which is awesome in its own right), since they bog down your Avoid by quite a bit.

Eh, not much, it just seems to be most people's go-to for the Great Lord since a lot of us don't want to train her up through Villager enough to just go straight to Master of Arms, and she's not an excellent Archer, especially if you're playing Birthright where you already have Takumi and even Setsuna. Basically, she can hit harder as a Great Lord than as a Villager, plus she has Swords as an option and can therefore deal a little more damage to Garon thanks to the majesties of the Weapon Triangle whereas as Villager she's locked to Lances. Basically you're mainly doing it so you can say Mozu made Garon pay for her village getting wrecked personally - by all means use anyone else in your party if you feel so inclined. To suggest for Great Lord, I've usually used it on Sakura or Azura, but Hinoka may be a better option as she isn't so focused on Magic Weaponry. The difficulty is finding a female character who isn't Magic-based who wants to use Swords or Lances who doesn't already have a really good Class to either fit that or do better for what they should be doing as a character.

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Eh, not much, it just seems to be most people's go-to for the Great Lord since a lot of us don't want to train her up through Villager enough to just go straight to Master of Arms, and she's not an excellent Archer, especially if you're playing Birthright where you already have Takumi and even Setsuna. Basically, she can hit harder as a Great Lord than as a Villager, plus she has Swords as an option and can therefore deal a little more damage to Garon thanks to the majesties of the Weapon Triangle whereas as Villager she's locked to Lances. Basically you're mainly doing it so you can say Mozu made Garon pay for her village getting wrecked personally - by all means use anyone else in your party if you feel so inclined. To suggest for Great Lord, I've usually used it on Sakura or Azura, but Hinoka may be a better option as she isn't so focused on Magic Weaponry. The difficulty is finding a female character who isn't Magic-based who wants to use Swords or Lances who doesn't already have a really good Class to either fit that or do better for what they should be doing as a character.

That just begs the question as to how people manage to get Mozu strong enough to be able to even scratch Garon, WTA aside. The dude has sky high Defence for that point in the game and Dragon Skin to top it all off. I think I'll have to look into that some more. Thank you for your reply!

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Bold: I reallly must ask, whatever is so special about Azura that people think she's good as a Great Lord? Because I don't see the appeal, not when she drops faster than a Shedinja that got hit with (insert Dark, Ghost, Fire, Rock, or Flying attack here) or enters into Stealth Rock or Spikes.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: I reallly must ask, whatever is so special about Azura that people think she's good as a Great Lord? Because I don't see the appeal, not when she drops faster than a Shedinja that got hit with (insert Dark, Ghost, Fire, Rock, or Flying attack here) or enters into Stealth Rock or Spikes.

Agree with you, she  have paper defense to be a great lord, i belive the players reclass her since she have similar apparence to Lucina.

• 3 years later...

Ok so bow knight is a decent class but I feel like adventurer and sniper does it better but here’s my build for a bow knight

+strength -magic 

steel bow

spys yumi

brave bow

killer bow

Yato (just the weapons I used I did forge them somewhat but I don’t have the file anymore and I don’t remember to what extent)

skills:

death blow

Heart seeker

Life taker

Point blank

nohrian trust (if your pair up doesn’t have good skills to proc replace this with either vantage or trample)

This was my first play through with dlc of fates I did conquest which was decently difficult the only reason I used the Yato was because it was a decent weapon to start with and whatever the other swords could do the bows could do better the only difference being the weapon triangle which I ignored since I grinded on boo camp for a bit (wanted to test my builds I didn’t mean to get overleveled) and by chapter 22 I had a full team of level 15 promoted units (Highest was level 20) and you could argue that it was because I was overleveled but I didn’t use any eternal seals so by chapter 27 and endgame I did struggle. 

my opinion on your build it’s ify, haven’t played fates in a while so I forgot if aether can be proced via nohrian trust (I’m aware gale force can’t be proced with your unit having support) I feel like you could’ve used that skill slot for something better like death blow or lifetaker (I apologize for my lack of periods).