Let's talk about the BIG KAHUNAS

Dragoncat

Island kahunas poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite?

• The laid back old man kahuna of Melemele, master of fighting types, Hala
    • The glamorous jewelry enthusiast kahuna of Akala, lady of rock types, Olivia
    • The tough old cop kahuna of UlaUla, dark type lover, Nanu
    • The young adventurous kahuna of Poni, ground type expert, Hapu
  2. 2. Who puts up the best fight? Who did you have the most trouble with? Only count the first battle please.

• Hala
    • Olivia
    • Nanu
    • Hapu
    • None of them/don't remember

So these people were the closest thing to gym leaders in Sun/Moon. Discuss them!

My thoughts:

Hala: Don't remember much about his personality. I remember some bits and pieces though, he's a calm, laid back, grandfatherly sort. Seems to really care about his grandson Hau. I bet off screen, he's strict with him and makes him train hard so he can maybe succeed him someday, that is if Tapu Koko is okay with it. I've seen fanart of Kahuna!Hau and it's awesome so I bet it will happen. An NPC in Iki Town says that when Hau was a toddler, someone made Hala mad and his angry face scared Hau half to death, and Hala felt super guilty. I can see that...

Olivia: She's cool, but I remember even less about her. I'll do my best. Confident and glamorous are the best words to describe her. I don't know if it's just because her speciality has a lot of weaknesses or not, but I never seemed to have any trouble with her. I think in her kahuna battle (as in, not E4) I completely mopped the floor with her. Her E4 battle was slightly harder, but still didn't give me too much trouble.

Nanu: Omg, this guy is awesome. At first glance he just looked like a guy in his middle age crisis, tired and just done with the world. "If you don't survive, I'll make sure your remains get home" Like okay, that's depressing. Then we learn he was or still is a cop, and he reveals himself as the kahuna and he becomes badass. His ace is one of my favorite pokemon (persian) but I do have him one upped because I have a shiny one. I'm not kidding, her name is Bluestar and I love her. I was lucky enough to find her as a meowth within the first day of having the game.

Hapu: I underestimated her. Big time...she was surprisingly hard to beat. She's interesting enough, travels around with her mudsdale, and wasn't even the kahuna at first. The scene where she's chosen worked well even with all the other plot stuff going on.

Nanu is my favorite mostly because he's just so aloof and has that attitude like he's just so done with everything and everyone.  But seeing him during the end game stuff was really nice and heartwarming.  Plus, his Z-Move dance/pose doesn't look right on him and he probably knows that.

But I did have a problem with Olivia because I started with Litten and didn't have any strong water or grass-type Pokemon when I faced her.

Honorable Mention to Hala though.  He's so strangely funny and any time there is a scene with him, he says something incredibly cheesy or corny that I can't help, but to smile a bit.

Edited by SHSL Ninja

9 minutes ago, SHSL Ninja said:

But seeing him during the end game stuff was really nice and heartwarming.  Plus, his Z-Move dance/pose doesn't look right on him and he probably knows that.

YES. That was awesome. Him doing the Z move thing at the ending festival made me laugh, he looked so funny.

I started with rowlet, so....yeah, Olivia was easy.

Hapu. She's cute and she has a horse. :3

The others are eh to me, with Nanu being my least favorite (sorry, Dcat...). He's just a weirdo to me. None of them really put up a fight though, I found the totem Pokemon to be harder to beat.

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele Hey, no offense taken! No apology needed. You're not offended that Hapu was meh to me, so why would I be? Nanu gets enough love from the fandom anyway. But I don't think the dude cares either way lol.

It still surprises me how much trouble Hapu gave me when I started with rowlet. And yeah, the totem pokemon were pains in the butt sometimes. The mimikyu and the vikavolt, and that nasty lurantis, ugh.

Edited by Dragoncat

Man, it's been a while since this game came out huh...

My favorite goes to Nanu as well. He has a lot more character depth than what you'd think at first glance, and is overall pretty enjoyable to see.

Fight-wise, Hala is probably the toughest imo.

Hala has some veeeery strong stuff for early on, and his team is ready for Psychic types, with 2/3 having Pursuit. Even with a bunch of flying types, his raw damage output, plus most birds being half Normal or Dark and therefore taking neutral damage makes him pretty tough to deal with. And don't forget the Z-Move, which can sometimes push the battle in his favor right at the end.

Olivia and Nanu suffer from what I'd call Brock Syndrome (BS lol), where everything is very weak to a common type or two. Nanu being Fairy and Olivia being Fighting, Grass AND Water. It makes them pretty easy if you have a user of those types.

I'd also say that if you don't have an Ice user, a Grass user, AND something good on Dugtrio, Hapu is also a pain. However, unlike Hala, you actually have a range of option in which to prepare for her. Hala, on the other hand, is very limited in the things you can fight him with.