New Echoes Trailer - Two Armies

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I found the "modern Fire Emblem mechanics" have no use in the battlefield of Echoes line amusing, I feel like it started a boulder of elitist FE fans attacking the 3DS FE games for no reason. Yes, the 3DS FE games weren't perfect by any means, but in all honesty, neither were any other FE game.

Also, pretty sure the Two Armies part of the trailer was just meant to show that you'll be playing as both Alm and Celica at the same time for most of the game, hence two armies. Would've been nice if they had elaborated on the characters of the armies, though.

14 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

I love the fact that there are no pair ups! Dont get me wrong pair up was a cool mechanic but IMO most of the times it felt like u have to pair up, thus turning lots of characters to Pair up bots...

That was true for Awakening. In Fates it was a lot more balanced IMO, also because enemies could benefit from the pair up system too. I don't know how supports will be like in Echoes, but i think it will be something similar to the GBA titles.

I know these are small details, but I really enjoyed:

• The scaling of the maps compared with the characters.  Everything seems to be scaled nicely - even the scaling of the horses against the people as well.
  • The click you can hear when Celica summons the flame to guide her through the dungeon.
  • The arch of the arrow when an archer unit fires.
  • The cat when you get the dried shieldfish item.
    • Also speaking of that ... did Alm (presumably) just pick up something that the cat was eating???
  • Saber's post battle animation.
  • The waves beneath the overworld boat.

It's all these little details that I cherish.  It makes me feel like so much care and attention has gone into the game.

Edited by Mox

I just thought I'd touch on a few things no one else is mentioning. This could've been like the original Gaiden but it has been so long since I played it I don't remember it that well.

When Boey is selected to move on the desert map his range is reduced. I'm pretty sure this was like this in Gaiden but in modern games mages, like Boey, have been able to move freely on 'desert' tiles.

Also when Valbar is killed by the sorcerer his item returns to the convoy. Is this new? 

39 minutes ago, Mox said:

I know these are small details, but I really enjoyed:

• The scaling of the maps compared with the characters.  Everything seems to be scaled nicely - even the scaling of the horses against the people as well.
  • The click you can hear when Celica summons the flame to guide her through the dungeon.
  • The arch of the arrow when an archer units fire.
  • The cat when you get the dried shieldfish item.
    • Also speaking of that ... did Alm (presumably) just pick up something that the cat was eating???
  • Saber's post battle animation.
  • The waves beneath the overworld boat.

It's all these little details that I cherish.  It makes me feel like so much care and attention has gone into the game.

Yeah, presentation-wise, this game looks amazing. Lots of little intricate details that really add to the experience in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, FigurativelyDeadBooty said:

I just thought I'd touch on a few things no one else is mentioning. This could've been like the original Gaiden but it has been so long since I played it I don't remember it that well.

When Boey is selected to move on the desert map his range is reduced. I'm pretty sure this was like this in Gaiden but in modern games mages, like Boey, have been able to move freely on 'desert' tiles.

Also when Valbar is killed by the sorcerer his item returns to the convoy. Is this new? 

That Boey part is true. Mages/Sages only moved 2 spaces in desert, but that's better than almost every other class. Only fliers and Dread Fighters could move more than them in the desert.

As for the convoy bit, IDK. I don't think dead characters' items returned to convoy though.

Edited by Konnor97

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah, presentation-wise, this game looks amazing. Lots of little intricate details that really add to the experience in my opinion.

Yeah, when I watch a little bit of the Japanese livestream I'll be looking out for all the little things.

Well, I'd personally like to call the expansion of dungeon exploration, the added characters, the added prologue, the added cutscenes, the added story and worldbuilding elements, the added depth of equippable items (all food/weapon/accessory), the tweaking of minor stats and unit positions and even some additional enemy units here and there all other changes made since Gaiden, but sure, why not.

Edited by MattOfValentia

4 minutes ago, MattOfValentia said:

Well, I'd personally like to call the expansion of dungeon exploration, the added characters, the added prologue, the added cutscenes, the added story and worldbuilding elements, the added depth of equippable items (all food/weapon/accessory), the tweaking of minor stats and unit positions and even some additional enemy units here and there all other changes made since Gaiden, but sure, why not.

Should have clarified as 'game mechanics-wise'

5 minutes ago, s07195 said:

Should have clarified as 'game mechanics-wise'

Nosferatu is now 60% accurate rather than 50%, and the way RNG is divvied out might be changed to the way Fates calculated it, but we won't know that for sure until the game actually comes out.

I feel like I should just ask this while I'm here, but anyone have a link to the JP trailer?

Trying to find japanese fire emblem stuff gets old real quick.

On a side note, Alm gets a support with Faye which is neat, though it does raise a question regarding endings...

The way the english narrator talks is charming in its own way and I would be A-OK if this was Mycen, and judging from past trailers that seems to be the case. The lack of whitewings and whether there are going to be a small or large number of additional characters and chapters is starting to really get suspicious. We've still got a month to go though, so I guess there's still time to build up hype. Maybe.

3 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

I feel like I should just ask this while I'm here, but anyone have a link to the JP trailer?

Trying to find japanese fire emblem stuff gets old real quick.

On a side note, Alm gets a support with Faye which is neat, though it does raise a question regarding endings...

The way the english narrator talks is charming in its own way and I would be A-OK if this was Mycen, and judging from past trailers that seems to be the case. The lack of whitewings and whether there are going to be a small or large number of additional characters and chapters is starting to really get suspicious. We've still got a month to go though, so I guess there's still time to build up hype. Maybe.

I'm not overly concerned with them not showing the Whitewings or revealing all of the characters so far. We still have a few weeks before the Japanese release and in that time we'll probably get more information.

That being said, I don't really want too much to be revealed before the game's release since that would somewhat spoil the excitement even if it's just a remake.

Clair is the first blonde peg knight in the series if memory serves me right, so good for her.

I wonder if the tan, gray/white/lavender haired guy is Atlas or a new guy. I have a feeling it's Atlas.

Atlas seems like the only excuse to have yet another unpromoted unit that late in the game, especially when we already have Atlas, Jesse, Lv5 Sonya, and, well, Lv3 Est. Not that it wouldn't be par for the course, I guess, but it would be kinda dumb. Alm gets Mathilda by then! A paladin!

I have to say, I have not been more disappointed in this than I was when I saw that village exploration. That was the thing I was most excited for and to have it 'downgraded' to point-and-click...

Don't get me wrong. I'm still super-excited (it's not like I ran over to the mall straight after work during rush hour to reserve the special edition or anything...

.../sarcasm). Hopefully those 'stills' look intricate and immersive. Maybe they can turn one of the castles into a free roaming dungeon (I doubt it though, considering we saw castle maps and they don't look like random battles, like the ones found in dungeons)

I kinda agree. I was sort of disappointed and would vastly prefer overhead, isometric or third person viewpoints for villages instead of the sort of SMT IV style they have. Then again, there is a total of like five villages in the original. Ram Village, Novis Port, the Village that Atlas is in, the Village that Luthier is in, and the Lost Woods village. That's all I remember, all the other places with recruitable characters could easily be converted to dungeons (and the Deliverance/Liberation HQ has already been, as we've seen).

The point-and-click village exploration reminded me of investigations in Ace Attorney. I definitely didn't expect them to go this route, but I don't mind as long as dungeons are more fleshed out. 

The strangest thing to me is that the old towns would've been at least vaguely familiar to players who had experienced the My Castle system of Fates. But instead they replaced it with something new and even more foreign, in a game that's already struggling to get over its identity as the black sheep. It doesn't make very much sense to me.

In any case, it reminded me of Layton. With a hint of SMT4. Which is not a combination I ever expected to apply, especially with respect to Fire Emblem.

i like the new village style since the ones in gaiden were boring as shit

you walked into a village, talked to people, and then left

it just felt like you were playing a really lame version of final fantasy

it looks like they'll be much more interesting here

i do wonder how they'll handle the village in the lost woods though, since that goes directly from a dungeon to a village type setting

although the village music doesn't even play there so I guess it's not really a village

Edited by unique

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

A bit later than usual, but here's my analysis of the trailer.

I don't think there's much that hasn't already been discussed though.

Still, it's useful to have everything in one place ^^

One minor thing I noticed in Mathilda's map is that Desaix has not moved. In the original Gaiden he moved once someone got into his range. In the screenshot we can see Alm's army is scattered a bit in the base, and yet Desaix hasn't moved. It's possible he's damaged and is now returning to a heal tile, but with how Alm's army is placed, that seems unlikely.

8 hours ago, unique said:

i like the new village style since the ones in gaiden were boring as shit

you walked into a village, talked to people, and then left

it just felt like you were playing a really lame version of final fantasy

it looks like they'll be much more interesting here

i do wonder how they'll handle the village in the lost woods though, since that goes directly from a dungeon to a village type setting

although the village music doesn't even play there so I guess it's not really a village

I get what you're saying but at the same time you're assuming if they used the other style that they wouldn't update it to have more than say, two people and a chest like we've already seen this other style to have been.

It's good for interiors but I would've preferred to walk around villages (assuming that third option does not allow us to, of course)

Edited by Tryhard

I personally don't have an issue with the village exploration. Like someone previously said, it reminds me of the investigation part of the Ace Attorney series and even the Professor Layton series.