Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology announced for 3DS

The DanMan

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/21/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-announced-nintendo-3ds/
It's a remake with a new scenario added on, a la Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker it seems. Not much else is known.
I've heard the praises of the original, so call me interested.

Totally new artwork (looks fine), what appears to be at least one new, possibly playable character. 

I played through the original, and it is possibly the best of the original DS RPGs. The gameplay is simple turn-based, but good enough (though some character rebalances and new additions would always be welcomed). The game looked nice, sticking to 2D was better than going to DS 3D graphics. The soundtrack, though I'll agree with the common criticism it was small, but is of fine Yoko Shimomura quality. Forever Proud (the Granorg theme) is particularly worth noting because it suits the city equally well upon first visit when Protea's misrule is underway, and upon your last visit, when Eruca after much bloodshed has finally taken her throne.

The time-dimensional aspect was handled well, though a few more sidequests that cleverly use the mechanic would be nice. I did like the contrast between the two storylines. The characters could be a little flat- Dias and his partner (I forget his name) could have used a little more development; Raynie and Marco were also weak. The Ernst backstory made a bit too much of this prince as well. The bad endings, though predictable which choices would lead to them most of the time, were nonetheless sort of entertaining (some of them I wish were playable).

Will I get the new version (remake or enhanced port- not sure what to call it)? Let's see how much they add first.

PLEASE tell me this'll be in Europe this time!

I would love to pick this up legit, and I had a blast with it. Can't really comment on the redesigns with the image quality to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

PLEASE tell me this'll be in Europe this time!

I would love to pick this up legit, and I had a blast with it. Can't really comment on the redesigns with the image quality to be honest.

We don't even know a Japanese release date-- it was JUST revealed in Famitsu.

I was trying to think if I had played this game, cause the name sounded so familiar, and after a quick google it at game back to me. It was a good game, I remember thinking the story and voices weren't that great, but if they remake it, they could fix some of that stuff lol. I'm down.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/22/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-details-else-new-remake/
Some more details about it. Will post scans when I find them.

When starting the game you’ll have the option to select between two modes. “Perfect Mode” which features the Standard and Alternate History from the original game with the addition of a new “Sub-History” to go with them. “Append Mode” is basically the same thing except the Sub-History becomes available only after beating Standard and Alternate Histories. You’ll also get to change difficulties for either mode.

The process that started the development on the remake

Mitsuru Hirata: “The opportunity simply grew within Atlus all thanks to the longtime support from fans. Offering a world experience is essential for RPGs, so we made sure to keep that in mind. We also reviewed its playability and we’re giving it an overall improvement.”

What kind of story will the Sub-History tell?

Hirata: “The third story that is the Sub-History is different from the Standard History and Alternate History. The Sub-History isn’t part of a parallel world, but character treatment and timeline interpretation, as well as how the Sub-History was created, will make it different from the Standard and Alternate Histories.”

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology releases in Japan on June 29, 2017 for Nintendo 3DS. The game’s development is currently 95% complete.

Difficulty settings? Not bad, felt the original was too easy (though I've heard others say it was brutal- I think it all depends on how much you use that invisibility thing).

Character treatment (interactions and development I assume) is nice, but what the heck does "timeline interpretation" mean?

Also, if you can pick Sub-History either at the start of the game or the end, fighting might take a backseat in that mode. How could it be balanced for both your level 1 characters and your level 50 ones? I mean there is an Disgaea 1 Etna Mode thing wherein depending on how you access the mode determines enemy stats, so they'll be suitable either for a fresh team or jacked up for an endgame one. Or, they could copy SMT: DS2 RB and just make character stats in this mode separate from those in the normal one.

High quality scans are out there now:

http://personacentral.com/first-radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-high-res-famitsu-scans/

http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Radiant-Historia-PC-1.jpg
http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Radiant-Historia-PC-2.jpg
http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Radiant-Historia-PC-3.jpg

Bunch of details are confirmed, such as DLC... which includes DLC that allows you to switch the character's art styles to chibi or the original. There's an attempt to show differences between the DS and 3DS versions that don't seem too different barring the possibility of cutscenes (A1 pictures are getting involved, can someone confirm what that's referring to?). There's also word of a limited edition for those who are into importing that (which has both DLC and stuff like the artbook and soundtrack). There's multiple difficulties now. A livestream for the game is set for the 26th, showing a trailer then, with a release date for the 29th of June set in Japan.

Also Shimomura's doing new music too (not replacing what's already there, adding to what was a pretty minimal soundtrack).

The A1 pictures look like scenes that will be shown on the top screen.

I really want this to come overseas.  I enjoyed the original Radiant Historia a lot!

RIP short haired Eruca, you shall be missed. I don't know why her in particular was changed so much, but I've gotta admit it's a bit disappointing.

Animated cutscenes(?) and new music are definitely welcome surprises.

I watched a let's play of this a year or so ago, and I found the concept interesting but some of the writing and just overall design of the game to be weird, which I suppose is pretty standard for Atlus. I'd be interested in trying this out, but uh, what the hell is that kid wearing? That's actually worse than Nowi.

Wha- ? Really ?! Seriously ? That's so cool ! I'm surprised but that's so so, soooo cool !

Radiant Historia is in very few words on my part, Chrono Trigger's successor, I think it does RH justice.

47 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

Great game, would be nice if they fixed some of the Exp issues though (party members do not receive Exp when not in the group which really hurts characters like Eruca).

Well.. there's problems like that, It really hurts the game too,

Ah yes, characters being missing not getting exp (Eruca, Roshc, what the hell?) and as a result being left behind. Gameplay looks about the same barring the CGs and new girl. So that's good so far.

(Also Thane, which kid? Aht's wearing a poncho and Marco's hat.... was always a bit weird.)

This is definitely a surprise, I thought this game flunked in terms of sales. I played this game to completion years ago alongside HCbailly's LP, it's basically Chrono trigger but instead of traversing entire eras, you traverse separate timelines to find the true path to saving the world. It was extremely non-linear for a JRPG and one of the better time travel stories I've seen from this genre. The soundtrack for this game, particularly the ending credits song and the battle themes are excellent. I think they were already orchestrated for the original game so there's nothing to really enhance in that regard besides some new tracks. The addition of facial expressions instead of static portraits is something I might have expected. Voice acting is another huge addition, though I remember this game's dialogue being extremely serious and straightforward. They'll need good voice direction or maybe a feature to turn the voices off. Have to agree that they'll have to do something about level scaling since Rosch and Eruca are pretty much relegated to one of the two timelines and that hurts their viability. I also remember certain flags you need to hit being a little obscure, so maybe have the game hint more at what you need to do to progress.

I'm hoping all the bad endings return, especially the one where

Spoiler

Marco just murders everybody in your party in a blind rage. I don't even remember the context but it was so goofy that I hope they resist the urge to remove it. 

I may buy this. I've felt an urge to replay Radiant Historia a few times over the years, and there's definitely some expanded content with that new character. If it were just a prettied up remake I wouldn't bother. I do encourage people to keep an eye on this if they missed the original.

44 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I'm hoping all the bad endings return, especially the one where

Reveal hidden contents

Marco just murders everybody in your party in a blind rage. I don't even remember the context but it was so goofy that I hope they resist the urge to remove it. 

I may buy this. I've felt an urge to replay Radiant Historia a few times over the years, and there's definitely some expanded content with that new character. If it were just a prettied up remake I wouldn't bother. I do encourage people to keep an eye on this if they missed the original.

I remember that moment. It's kind of like in those visual novels where you have to do something stupid, otherwise one character will do something even more stupid, just so you can get a bad end.
I wouldn't call it goofy, just weird as hell. :p

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't it was because...

Because his girlfriend/wife died. If I remember correctly, you put her in a cell so she wouldn't die.

.. That didn't go well. Marco ragequited his brain hilariously and cruelly hard.

Didn't she died anyways in both case ? I just can't remember.

Edited by B.Leu

About the that choice:

Spoiler

The Sand Curse thing kills Mimel (her name was something like that) instantly when you make the right choice.

As for leveling, I don't recall having to grind that much to catch Rosch or Eruca up, experience might be curved a little. Also, don't forget Gafka, he was pretty much Alternate History only.

And I'm guessing the kid in question is Aht, she looks kinda bad on closer examination. Her old design was cute too! Lippti and Teo are still adorable fortunately.