What is Your Favorite Map or Chapter?

CatManThree

:Wrys:Greetings, your everyday cat guy here with a new topic!:Wrys:

Has there ever been a chapter or map that you really liked? Maybe you found the design unique or just really good,

or maybe you simply just find the map really entertaining to play.

• Simply name the map(s) you like the most, and explain why.
  • Maps can be from any game, including hacks.
  • You may also include an image of the map if you so choose.
  • You may also include anything that you believe the map/chapter could be improved upon

I am exited to see what you guys have to say and I hope you guys enjoy this topic.

I am not exactly sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I actually really enjoy Chapter 23 "The Great Bridge" from PoR.

I don't know why but I always found my self laugh out loud every time a unit fell into a trap the first time I played the chapter. I just straight up had a blast with it. Sure Haar can be a pain but really, there is just some kind of charm to the chapter that really gets me whenever I play it.

Edited by CatManThree

Chapter 22: The Neverending Dream from The Binding Blade.

I have a lot of fondness for this Chapter.  You start split into two groups in the south, and have to make your way to two heroes with brave weapons guarding switches.  After activating both, you have to take Roy to the throne room in the center to beat Zephiel.  Along the way, you're pestered by mages and physical units alike (but mostly mages If I remember correctly), looting chests, and all that good stuff.  The role in the story really feels like a final showdown to put an end to Zephiel's mad war.  

Yeah I know that I'm weird

Hm... I don't think I ever really had a standout map. There were a few that sort of fit, though.

*The Tower of Guidance's pit tiles being called 'Hades' always cracks me up.
*Chapter 5 from Genealogy gets a lot of points for telling its story through map design, and bonus points for there being a really funny way to break the script.
*Chapter 19 from Sacred Stones pretty much epitomises 'meat into grinder' with the southwest.
*Chapter 19x pt 2 from Blazing Blade has a humourous gimmick with the thieves that don't have lockpicks, but act as localised Macguffin Delivery Service demonstrations.

Hmm....

Blazing: Victory or Death, Kinship's Bond, Noble Lady of Caelin, Four Fanged Offensive Linus version are all decent maps, though I lack strong feelings for FE7's designs. Cog of Destiny HHM must also be noted.

Sacred Stones: Scorched Sand is the best desert map in FE history. Turning Traitor and Hamil Canyon are also good. Last Hope does its job as a grandiose defense well enough.

PoR: Visually, I do like the map of Despair and Hope, though it is too restrictive in gameplay. Blood Runs Red is a nice chapter thematically, but only if you know you can't recruit Jill and where the BK spawns in advance, and if you skip on sparing the vigilantes. Defending Talrega and Battle Reunion blend decent gameplay with good plot, so I'd call them favorites. And if it weren't for Ashy's damage immunity, I'd add Repatriation as well. Day Breaks was also rather unique.

From RD:

Part 1: Eh, if I had to name one, I'll say The Lost Heir or Daein Arise!

Part 2: Elincia's Gambit is an obvious fan favorite I fell for, and On Drifting Clouds is also aesthetically pleasing being entirely in the sky. Geoffrey's Charge isn't bad either if you play with a casual BEXP orientation in mind. The rock in Part 2 is totally C1, that drags the whole thing down.

Part 3: River Crossing is sooooo good! A glorious grandiose stratagem executed wonderfully! The General's Hand is meh in gameplay, but good in plot.

Part 4: Honestly this Part is a bit weak in maps, but I'd say Final-3. A dragon fest done well for once.

Awakening: Five Gemstones- the escape from Plegia- is good enough. Emmeryn too I guess.

Fates: Obviously CQ10, but most of CQ, save perhaps the Ninja Den and Wind Tribe chapters, is pretty good. Shura's BR chapter isn't bad either, fairer than Cammy 2. Rev has no redeeming chapters whatsoever.

Chapter 14, "Open Fire", of Thracia 776. Hands down one of the most desperate "defend" maps in the franchise, fending off up to three different boss characters as they try to siege a city, and you get my boy in that chapter+the Dain scroll, which might be the best scroll in the game. The odds are really stacked against you, and I can't think of any other chapter in the franchise that exemplifies the mood of the game it takes place in so well.

Edited by Slumber

I also say chapter 14 from FE5 because it introduces the first defend chapter in FE. It's not only challenging because your movement is limited due to all the ballista crap around you and tons of knights who hurt like trucks, bur you also have to do a side objective by visiting enough villages to have access to a side chapter.
This chapter really has everything you want to have in a defend chapter.

53 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I'm going to go with "A Girl from the Plains", because it taught me what a ger is, and the gers on the map were simply adorable.

Have any other FE maps included gers/yurts?

Binding Blade has them in Chapter 18 Sacae.

As for a favourite, I obviously think Chapter 5 in Geneology is great, but I'll get back to a better answer another time.

I have to say Eincia's Gambit as my favorite defense map(though several other maps in the same game come close).  The far inferior recreation in FE14 also confirms my suspicions that the key defining factor that made it and other other defense/assault maps in RD so good was the importance of the high ground due to a very real accuracy modifier... They really need to bring the high ground component back (with perhaps fliers being exempt from it?)

1 hour ago, Dragrath said:

I have to say Eincia's Gambit as my favorite defense map(though several other maps in the same game come close).  The far inferior recreation in FE14 also confirms my suspicions that the key defining factor that made it and other other defense/assault maps in RD so good was the importance of the high ground due to a very real accuracy modifier... They really need to bring the high ground component back (with perhaps fliers being exempt from it?)

Height I agree should probably come back, it is realistic and contributes to map design. Maybe add a +1 range boost to bows (but not magic or 1-2 weapons) when aiming at lower terrain.

That said, height did have its problems, the realistic but gigantic +/-50 hit bonus might have been slightly excessive. Making "high height" and "low height" with the former maintaining the +/-50 bonus and the latter to a smaller ~20 one might fix that though.

Height did help weaken mounties a little, though not too much (the only map where it stopped them cold was 3-4). And it makes 3-5 and 3-13 so much easier, as height's large bonuses let you use weaker units like Rolf in the former or an untrained Fiona in the latter as chokers.

Perhaps add ladders that you can destroy like snags or walls that enemies may try to set up. If they build one and the enemy gets to the top, the height advantage will be neutralized. Of course, for the player, as ridiculous as it might seem to carry one around all the time, including ladders as semiprecious consumable items might also help make height workable.

If they choose to keep Dragon Vein-like terrain modifier actions, then there could be a map where you can trigger a landslide. It'd turn a sharp cliff face you have to climb into an easy slope you can walk up.

Chapter 20 from Path of Radiance

I like the resolution of the Shiharam plot. It could have benefited from Petrine not treating him like dirt to his face so that his fatalistic resistance made more sense, but that's Petrine's fault for being a cardboard villian. The real star of the show is Jill and their father-daughter relationship.

Gameplaywise I do think the chapter's enemy composition is pretty boring though.

I think runner ups would be  Chapter 14 eirika from FE8. Chapter 9 from FE 11,Chapter 12 from FE 11. Chapter 20 from FE 11. Chapter 3 from FE12. Chapter 10x from FE12, Chapter 15 from conquest. Chapter 23 from Conquest. Chapter 25 from Conquest.

Edited by Reality
added runner ups

Well I have a couple:

FE1/11- Chapter 22. 

FE3/12-Chapter 20. 

FE4-Chapter 8.

FE6-Chapter 22.

FE7-Endgame

FE8-Chapter 19

FE9-Chapter 22

FE10-Part 2 Endgame

FE13-Tie between chapter 9 and 17

FE14 (Conquest)-Chapter 20

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Height I agree should probably come back, it is realistic and contributes to map design. Maybe add a +1 range boost to bows (but not magic or 1-2 weapons) when aiming at lower terrain.

That said, height did have its problems, the realistic but gigantic +/-50 hit bonus might have been slightly excessive. Making "high height" and "low height" with the former maintaining the +/-50 bonus and the latter to a smaller ~20 one might fix that though.

Height did help weaken mounties a little, though not too much (the only map where it stopped them cold was 3-4). And it makes 3-5 and 3-13 so much easier, as height's large bonuses let you use weaker units like Rolf in the former or an untrained Fiona in the latter as chokers.

Perhaps add ladders that you can destroy like snags or walls that enemies may try to set up. If they build one and the enemy gets to the top, the height advantage will be neutralized. Of course, for the player, as ridiculous as it might seem to carry one around all the time, including ladders as semiprecious consumable items might also help make height workable.

If they choose to keep Dragon Vein-like terrain modifier actions, then there could be a map where you can trigger a landslide. It'd turn a sharp cliff face you have to climb into an easy slope you can walk up.

I can agree on all sides yeah height might have been too strong so if it returned they could feel free in  balancing the affects so long as it achieves the main principal

As for the idea of enemies setting up destructible ladders or the dragon vein landslide bit I love those ideas..

I could also see enemy fliers setting themselves up as warp points for enemy spellcasters too (I really liked the warp ability in fates it has so much unused tactical potential...)

I like Chapter 5x from Sacred Stones for how powerful it makes you feel. Despite being outnumbered, Ephraim and the Cav duo can completely smash their way through the map with little or no help from Orson.

1 hour ago, Nimbostratus said:

I like Chapter 5x from Sacred Stones for how powerful it makes you feel. Despite being outnumbered, Ephraim and the Cav duo can completely smash their way through the map with little or no help from Orson.

How could I forget 5x, Renvall? The chapter is tedious in gameplay, but I do adore the thematics, Ephraim takes a guerrilla force (not just four guys) and manages to capture an entire castle. And then he miraculously escapes despite being ridiculously surrounded by a Gemstone General's forces, and presumably Orson's betrayal. (Which on reflection, could have been better executed, as what does his betrayal actually do for Grado? He fails to capture Ephraim despite having a great chance at doing so, and then Seth protects Erika as well.)

5x for some is proof that Ephraim is too perfect (to be fair all FE lords are either: perfect pretty boys, warriors at heart, female, or a combination of these). I on the other hand like it. In my Ideal Heroic pan-FE Headcanon Army, thanks to Renvall I assign Ephraim the highly mobile and prestigious position of Cavalry Commander (Ike gets the Special Forces, and Sigurd is Supreme Commander to name a few other positions).

Any Defense map that isn't a GBA Defense map.  Those suck.  Yes, Even the one in sacred stones.  I much prefer  Chapter 8 on Epjhraim's route.

Other Favorite maps include: 3-13 of RD.  Just, not even Takumi can hold up to the 3-13 archer, and Edward and the other Sh*t brigade members get to bring home laguz pelts as symbols of unit pogression.

Chapter 3 of Geneology of the Holy war, because You fight your first holy weapon - this game doesn't mess around.  Also, it's a rush to help out Briggid

Encountering Matilda and Desaix in Gaiden, (Chapter 3)

Chapter 14 of Shadow Dragon, because Marthipan gets his revenge and Catria becomes a member of the team.  You can also handle the reinforcements multiple ways, depending on your team, and playstyle.  What?  There's like 7 single tile choke points that make it archer grind heaven.

Chapter 1 of FE 1/3/11.  Seriously.  This is the greatest first chapter in all of FE, Bar Geneology and thracia.  The game teaches you things by making you experience them, and you form your own strategy.  No hand holding, the houses you visit give you good information, and the forts place emphasis on alternate healing methods and taking advantage of your terrain.  Really Solid First chapter.  The only reason I hold Geneology and Thracia lower than this one is because those games expect you to know how to play FE or have some sort of experience.

Chapters 14 and 16 of Binding Blade.  Why?  Chapter 14 is the pure definition of punishment, and chapter 16 is just challenging.

Fates had some nice chapters too. Like conquest chapter 10, 12, and 18.

Awakening's Chapter 10 (or 9) the one with the best theme in the game who's name I won't speak.  That chapter isn't anything to write home about, but for awakening, it gives incentive to rush, the boss is more memorable than the main villian of the next two arcs, and the music sets the tone for what the characters go through, making you feel what they feel.  You don't need to impact the player's feeling directly.

Lastly, I never thought I'd say this.  I actually Hate this chapter, but I cannot deny that it pits one of the greatest Ideas in FE history up against already wonky RNG and BS that the devs and Kaga love so much.  Chapter 4, and 6 of the Manster Escape chapters in Thracia 776.  It's just so different and Archaic that you might as well say that FE 9's prison break chapter sucks.  Really.  it's not about stealth.  It's about getting your crap, rescuing the village folk, and getting your ass OUT.  I applause Thracia for executing these map concepts so well, but the Bull Sh*t just makes me dread it if I need to restart it even once.

Edited by Lord Tullus

the fe12 chapter where jeorge is chasing you through the desert

it feels tense as fuck since if he catches your units he can fuck them up pretty good

you also have to get a starsphere shard and I think you can recruit a character?

whatever it was it managed to build tension pretty well and force you to actually think about what units you use and where you move each of them while still being fair 

the last map of gaiden is also really cool conceptually even if it's not very fun

i especially love how the music that plays is the same one that plays when the characters talk before battles (and the version that plays before this battle is in a slightly different key)

Edited by unique

18 minutes ago, unique said:

the fe12 chapter where jeorge is chasing you through the desert

it feels tense as fuck since if he catches your units he can fuck them up pretty good

you also have to get a starsphere shard and I think you can recruit a character?

whatever it was it managed to build tension pretty well and force you to actually think about what units you use and where you move each of them while still being fair 

the last map of gaiden is also really cool conceptually even if it's not very fun

i especially love how the music that plays is the same one that plays when the characters talk before battles (and the version that plays before this battle is in a slightly different key)

Don't you mean Astram (since you get Jeorge on your side in the chapter right before)?

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Don't you mean Astram (since you get Jeorge on your side in the chapter right before)?

yeah actually i guess I was just thinking of jeorge because I remember him killing one of my characters

----- Radiant Dawn

Geoffrey's Charge (2-3): I love most of the Crimea maps due to their usage of NPC units. It makes the battles seem so much more epic in scale. For this one, I loved the aspect of assaulting the fortress with Crimea's knights.

Elincia's Gambit (2-4, Finale): One of the best defense maps ever made, even making its way into Fate's DLC! I still prefer the original though. If I remember right, there was an allied Sage who would heal your forces with Physic and another who would attack enemies with Bolting (or was it Meteor? I don't remember).

The Price (3-12): I enjoy the concept of this map, using the high ground and boulders to attack the enemy convoy down below.

Blood Contract (3-13): The home of the almighty 3-13 Archer, and another fun Defend map from Radiant Dawn. I think I like this one a little more than Elincia's Gambit because I am slightly partial to the Dawn Brigade and the snowy aesthetic.

Rebirth 2 (Final Chapter): The Radiant Dawn version of the duel with the Black Knight. It was also fun fighting the opposing army on the bottom half of the map as well.

Rebirth 3 (Final Chapter): The showdown with Dheginsea featuring a lot of Dragon Laguz. Dheginsea's imposing presence and map attack made this memorable for me.

----- Fire Emblem: Fates

Port Town of Dia (Conquest 10): Another Defense map! The stunt Takumi pulls and the last-minute defense rush is challenging, but memorable.

I would list some more, but I don't remember how the maps played or I don't have the map data to try and trigger any memories.

I still say Radiant Dawn has the best chapters, but Fates: Conquest did its maps pretty well too. Thing is, even though Conquest had interesting mechanics, they were not always memorable (or at least in a good way. Screw the Ninja Cave, the Kitsunes , and Darude Wind Tribe Village).

Crazed Beast, from Fire Emblem 7.

I love it's layout, with the river and the big lake in the middle, which makes fliers quite useful, but you also have to watch out for the ballistaes. The objective is really fun and unique, which is a big plus.