You think Pirates should come back?

Harvey

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

You didn't answer any of my questions.

1. How does redundant with other classes = useless in combat?

Because the way you make it sound is like instead of bringing back pirates, there are classes that are WAY to similar to pirates that are almost useless. So that also means that Pirates fall in that lack of use since the are in a similar class.

as for the second one, I deleted that in my edit as I realized that it didn't make any sense whatsoever.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because the way you make it sound is like instead of bringing back pirates, there are classes that are WAY to similar to pirates that are almost useless. So that also means that Pirates fall in that lack of use since the are in a similar class

This was my original post:

On 3/22/2017 at 5:34 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

We don't need three different types of axe-based infantrymen with similar high HP/attack, low skill and defenses statspreads.

Barbarians and fighters are more than enough.

I didn't say anything on my opinion of those classes here.  And fwiw, if there was say, as second high magic/speed, low def anima magic infantry class added on top of Mages, I'd still find it redundant despite that being my favorite class.

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

This was my original post:

I didn't say anything on my opinion of those classes here.  And fwiw, if there was say, as second high magic/speed, low def anima magic infantry class added on top of Mages, I'd still find it redundant despite that being my favorite class.

It still makes it sound like pirates shouldn't come because of similar growths so them coming is not needed.

Also, by saying that they are too similar, the next installment might not make them THAT similar by any chance?

Edited by Harvey

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

It still makes it sound like pirates shouldn't come because of similar growths so them coming is not needed.

And therefore they are redundant, aka the point I was making the whole time.  

So that brings us back to this question:

16 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

How does redundant with other classes = useless in combat?

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

And therefore they are redundant, aka the point I was making the whole time.  

So that brings us back to this question:

Because of them not being needed, they end up being useless?

Just now, Harvey said:

Because of them not being needed, they end up being useless?

Allow me to rephrase: How does being in a redundant class make a unit automatically bad?

The class is not needed and they can be turned into a Fighter/Brigand and barely anything would change, however, how does Pirate being redundant make anyone who is a pirate instead of one of the other two automatically worse?

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Allow me to rephrase: How does being in a redundant class make a unit automatically bad?

Because again, according to dictionary, redundant: not or no longer needed or useful?

7 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

how does Pirate being redundant make anyone who is a pirate instead of one of the other two automatically worse?

That is what I asked when I just said replace either of the classes for the pirate class instead since they are all similar anyways?

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because again, according to dictionary, redundant: not or no longer needed or useful?

I think you misunderstand the definition you were given. 

The definition is essentially saying that it's no longer needed because it's repetitive.  http://www.dictionary.com/browse/redundant

YES.

I fucking love pirates (what a surprise!). They're my favorite class by eons. I'd be for replacing barbarians with pirates again. Keep fighters, they're a staple. Though honestly I don't see the problem with having all three? Pirates are unique enough with waterwalk.

Sure, I honestly wouldn't mind pirates so long as we got another FE world with lots of ocean and kingdoms on the coast, or even an FE world composed of an archipelago. It only makes sense that they exist in that case. Not to mention, I've always been fond of those chapters which take place on large ships, especially ones where there were multiple ships that moved close and far from one another. Just one of those fun little diversions from the overworld-style maps.

A more nautical/ocean-based world in the vein of something like One Piece in FE would be pretty interesting in my opinion, with maybe a plot that focuses heavier on pirate warlords than cavalry and land-based kingdoms. We've gotten small tastes of that in games like FE1, FE4, and FE7, but I think that expanding it would be an interesting change of pace in a future FE game.

I can definitely see what Glaceon Mage says would be redundant about their inclusion while Fighters and Barbarians exist, but I'd be for diversifying them away from "Fighter with the ability to move through water tiles" by giving them the ability to use multiple weapon types and even different stat spreads depending on their specialty: Swords (similar to myrmidons), bows (similar to archers), and even magic (similar to mages). After all, more than the usual "gruff, built and bloodthirsty" guy joined pirate crews. And depending on the world (if we're talking one that's mostly islands or something), it might even replace Fighters/Barbarians completely.

Edited by Extrasolar

I think making Fighters like how they were in FE5 would help legitimize the existence of Pirates. The Tellius games seemed to be going in this direction, with Brigands/Barbarians being EXTREME hit sponges that pack a punch, but they disappear after the mid game of PoR, and don't even exist in RD. Meanwhile Fighters had fairly well rounded growths, with Nolan being Cord-ish and Boyd being Bord-ish in RD, but the delta's pretty small and both end up getting very respectable stats in most areas.

Making Fighters more like axe-wielding mercs, with slightly less speed/skill/res, higher HP/Def/Str might make them more compelling from a gameplay standpoint. It would also fix the redundancy issue with Brigands/Pirates, who can be faster, have higher HP, higher strength, and a crit bonus, but have lower defenses and skill. Maybe roll Brigand/Pirate into one class like they've done before, and just call them Pirates or something(The visual theme of pirate units has always been more appealing than Brigands). Then you'd have two distinct foot units that wield axes.

Edited by Slumber

The class or the group of people? Because we need some conflict to start this game and pirates/brigands raiding a peaceful country but it's really a ruse by another country to start a war. Definitively hasn't been done... recently. 

Depends on how they handle classes in general really, (stuff like, is reclassing a thing, is there split promotions, are most classes meant to be playable/equal, how different are classes, ect) to me some possibilities work to add pirates as a class if the setting calls for it, but others really don't. (On pirates specifically, I don't think they are that easy a class to fit in, redundancy hurts them alot and while they have flavour potential it's not that strong on it's own and dosen't exactly lend itself that well to wider themes like being a nation exclusive/featured class)  

I don't see the point of people saying that we don't need a third axe based class with high HP/Strength. It is so easy to fiz this. Just stick with High Skill/Constitution and O.kish Strength. Bum totally new class. It isn't that hard and walking on water is really fun! Maybe two spaces instead of one would help on their usage!

17 hours ago, Ace Pelleas said:

I don't see the point of people saying that we don't need a third axe based class with high HP/Strength. It is so easy to fiz this. Just stick with High Skill/Constitution and O.kish Strength. Bum totally new class. It isn't that hard and walking on water is really fun! Maybe two spaces instead of one would help on their usage!

Which would simply make it an Axe-using Mercenary.

I'd rather just have the Barbarian class and have it be able to walk on both mountains and water.

On 29/03/2017 at 2:17 PM, Folt said:

Which would simply make it an Axe-using Mercenary.

I'd rather just have the Barbarian class and have it be able to walk on both mountains and water.

Changing these is quite simple. High Consitution/Above Average Defence and HP. O.K Resistance, and Speed. Trash Skill and Low Strength. There you can have multiple options until you find a completely new class within the stats