My pitched FE game idea

Harvey

Ok so here's an idea I thought of for a Fire Emblem game.

Your have three lords who are best friends. One of them is off to set sail to find her long lost brother and the other two volunteer to assist her in her journey. 

Throughtout the course, units will want to join your crew. If your ship is full and if you want to recruit someone, you must release one of your units to make this unit come with you. This affects the ending/the situation of some particular units. Some can change unlike before and others won't ever be seen again.

Money also plays a role and the amount of money you get alters the chapter you'll play next as well.

Also, unlike the main games, you only can promote classes that are only more of a pirate arch type.

This is the idea I had in mind. Your opinions on this?

Concept is interesting but it don't think it would work. Especially for someone like my brother who would restart the entire game if even one character that was available to get was not available to have because of other characters.

• 2 months later...

Maybe you could put sort of HQ/island where others units wait to be used. But I can see a few problems with this idea...

Instead of killing units, maybe you could dismiss them, and in order to get them back you would have to find them and either pay a certain amount of money or play a challenge map to get them back? Just a couple of unpolished ideas.

The thing is, while those are interesting concepts in theory, for exemple the limited crew capacity, which permits the player to form a more intimate bond with the characters and more time to explore their personality. But that's the thing: players need the time to know about those units' character and gameplay viability, but it's hardly do-able if a unit just pops out of nowhere while we know nothing about them while still needing to sacrifice other crew members to allow them in: it's a lil' bit unfair.

You could dedicate chapters for certain grouped units and do some exposition but.... How about doing it like Echoes, with the cast separated in two campaigns/boats? In this case, they could be allies, rivals, or even enemies.