New Screenshots

That image of Celica meeting Saber reminds me of the cutscenes in Dark Forces for some reason.

(Image for reference)

Spoiler

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XP-9StQ0G28/hqdefault.jpg

So is that reversible cover an EU exclusive? I might end up switching it if the US gets it too (even though the game will probably remain in the limited edition box).

And those village screenshots. I just find that style alienating, for whatever reason. It's like, "here this village without any people, but oh wait here they are and they look like cardboard standees", if that makes sense. I actually find it kind of creepy.

Edited by Pete-of-the-Forge

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw someone pointing out that there are several images of Alm which bear a striking resemblence to images of Marth in Shadow Dragon. Since the Japanese title is "Another Hero-King", I believe it's intentional. Exciting stuff, though I can't help but feel Celica gets a bit left out, but we'll see when the game gets here.

I'm a big fan of how they seem to portray the important events with dramatic images in addition to cutscenes. The presentation so far looks great (though I'm still not a fan of the bottom screen during battles).

So it's all but confirmed that Clair's blond now, which makes sense given Clive's hair color and the fact that Catria is in the game already, so there was no need for more blue-haired Pegasus Knights. 

It doesn't quite work that way in English, but Japanese mainly uses gender neutral nouns/pronouns, so "Another Hero-King" could theoretically refer to Celica as well. The language difference is probably another reason they changed the subtitle in the English version.

Edited by VincentASM

7 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

It doesn't quite work that way in English, but Japanese mainly uses gender neutral nouns/pronouns, so "Another Hero-King" could theoretically refer to Celica as well. The language difference is probably another reason they changed the subtitle in the English version.

Oh I know, but I don't really see them both being Hero-Kings. But hey, who knows, maybe Celica will get similar images as well, but I think the connection will remain between Marth and Alm, if nothing else for the Falchion.

34 minutes ago, Thane said:

Oh I know, but I don't really see them both being Hero-Kings. But hey, who knows, maybe Celica will get similar images as well, but I think the connection will remain between Marth and Alm, if nothing else for the Falchion.

Would be cool if they changed it so Celica could wield the Falchion as well. But even though I'm all for gender equality, the final chapter in Gaiden was pretty badass with...

Alm rushing in to rescue Celica. Although to be fair, if it wasn't for Celica, he'd be burning up in Dragon Volcano.

Just now, VincentASM said:

Would be cool if they changed it so Celica could wield the Falchion as well. But even though I'm all for gender equality, the final chapter in Gaiden was pretty badass with...

Hide contents

Alm rushing in to rescue Celica. Although to be fair, if it wasn't for Celica, he'd be burning up in Dragon Volcano.

True. I'm really looking forward to seeing that in Shadows of Valentia.Just...

Spoiler

please fix the Rigel Castle Dungeon or whatever it was called. I don't want to guess which identical-looking holes I need to fall into to reach the goal.

Also, you bring up a good point: will Alm still get trapped like that without warning? I mean it's pretty much something everyone who has played the game remembers, so I'd call it iconic, but it felt pretty...harsh. I remember both Tobin and Tatiana biting the dust because the dragons could reach them within two turns and and they had almost no one close to them who didn't suck and could defend them.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

I saw someone pointing out that there are several images of Alm which bear a striking resemblence to images of Marth in Shadow Dragon. Since the Japanese title is "Another Hero-King", I believe it's intentional.

Yeah pretty much. These 2 pics in particular are quite similar : 

Spoiler

Ik6jaV3.png

gHPl0ip.jpg

EDIT : Oops sorry I didn't realize it was already mentioned in an another topic.

I love Slayde's expression. He reminds me of Narcian. Not sure what to think about the amiibos. I hope curing the fatigue just means that the Mila statues can restore the characters' HP.

Also where are my Whitewings and Zeke?

18 hours ago, DaloDask said:

Is the fact that Faye can apparently become a Peg Knight already known? Because that immediately stuck out to me.

If I remember well, we already have seen her as a Pegasus Knight in previous screenshots in the Famitsu article.

Edited by Thunderstar

Dont like the Amiibo's, I would of rathered equipment or weapons come from using them rather than getting an effect that will last one round and be gone, and I cant even control it. I wasnt expecting functions like Fates Amiibo's worked, but they could of at least done something a little more than that. Hopefully Warriors/FE Switch will have better.

I REALLY do not like the new towns. Give me Gaiden's old towns over this ffs. That Chapter 1 scene just looks so silly and out of place. Spend all that time making the dungeons great, and you couldnt be bothered to fix the towns? Instead you opt to make some VN looking bs?

And Please, please, please tell me that is not Fatigue I am seeing there. Its the main reason I will not play Thracia, I hate fatigue systems. I just hope its minor and not all that important.

Have to say, I was super hyped for this about a few weeks ago, but now that all this information is pouring out some of my hype for it is definitely dying off. As I keep saying, I will reserve too much judgement until its release in Japan so I can see some of the personal experiences of people getting the japanese version, but I would be lying if I didnt say that I am not all that hyped for this anymore.

Edited by Tolvir

16 hours ago, SHSL Ninja said:

I really like the artwork for the characters.  I hope the Illusory Heroes get full artwork of them as the characters than as phantom looking.  And the way the team looks at the beginning of towns kind of reminds me of Dangan Ronpa for some reason.

I also got a DR feeling from that. In the "Two Armies" trailer there's also a scene where various items are examined and collected with a cursor similar to how it's done it Dangan Ronpa.

19 hours ago, unique said:

okay i'm fine with the changes to the villages but

Hide contents

C7jS1cEUwAAzAyZ.jpg

if chapter 1 starts with the characters all staring at you like this that might look a bit silly

although since they're adding a prologue it at least won't be the actual beginning of the game

I'm pretty sure that's just a new town interface. Instead of physically exploring it, you have a menu, and in that screen you can pick people to talk to.

53 minutes ago, bufkus said:

I'm pretty sure that's just a new town interface. Instead of physically exploring it, you have a menu, and in that screen you can pick people to talk to.

yeah that's obvious it just looks silly

Well, if you look at the bottom screen, there's a visible map with Alm's overworld sprite. My guess is that the navigation will operate similar to a fusion between Danganronpa's and 3DS Shin Megmai Tensei's exploration method. In the villages, you'll navigate the 3D environment in first-person mode while running into 2D characters. It's unique to say the least, but village exploration isn't why I am buying this game. I'm not that upset over it. We've already established that dungeon-crawling will be very much like the 3DS Shin Megami Tensei games, which I am fine with. 

Edited by Leif

IntSys, I think we need to have words over some of the things in these screenshots (if they turn out to be real, and I do suspect some of them may be fake):

-That town interface is just...no. It worked in SMT IV because SMT IV was sprite-based outside of the map exploration segments, and it worked in Danganronpa because Dangarnonpa used it as a deliberate style choice. There was no reason not to just use the in-game 3D models except laziness.

-The phantoms were just not a thing anyone was asking for. Can we stop shoehorning in playable characters from other FEs already? Are you that afraid that people won't buy the games if they can't play as Marth or Roy, IntSys? Also they just look like someone's terrible creepypasta art, not otherworldly.

Edited by AzureSen

34 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

-That town interface is just...no. It worked in SMT IV because SMT IV was sprite-based outside of the map exploration segments, and it worked in Danganronpa because Dangarnonpa used it as a deliberate style choice. There was no reason not to just use the in-game 3D models except laziness.

-The phantoms were just not a thing anyone was asking for. Can we stop shoehorning in playable characters from other FEs already? Are you that afraid that people won't buy the games if they can't play as Marth or Roy, IntSys? Also they just look like someone's terrible creepypasta art, not otherworldly.

Excuse my being Devil's Advocate for a minute.

The first...... I agree, I'd rather it wasn't like that, but we have to wonder how long they've been working on this in the first place. Even if they've been on near full tilt since 2015, they've also had the phone title to slow things down at least somewhat. They had less than 2 years to make it, and some of that period has to be testing the game, there's a period between it being confirmed finished and the release where nothing can be done, among other things. There's still quite a bit that has to be made new, even if they have the engine already. Much as I think it's weak in gameplay and the look of the sprites is poor, I can see why they didn't think about doing it for a few villages in the game when it was a small part of Gaiden.

The second I think is them going "OK, we have these amiibo things... Maybe this could a nice optional thing?" Not locking stuff behind all the amiibo would be nice for those who aren't running around getting merch, and they can serve a role if you're in a jam and allow people to use these things that are intended as optional content. The look of them is offputting, and it's also silly (Look at Robin and his dead eyes. I'd expect something along the lines of "ADN DERE WUS BLUD PURNG FRUM HZ IYIS!" to be honest.)

OK, finally been able to see the Illusory Heroes. Eh...

Why couldn't they do the thing they did with Einherjar in Awakening or Vallites in Fates, where they have that kind of glowy stuff around them instead of transparency stuff. Also, those portraits are a damn cocktease. I want to see Roy, damnit, Hidari! Of course, there's little point complaining. I'm mainly glad that Roy and Corrin now have functionality outside Smash.

Still, really would've loved to see proper art for these guys...

1 hour ago, AzureSen said:

IntSys, I think we need to have words over some of the things in these screenshots (if they turn out to be real, and I do suspect some of them may be fake):

I can't find the source of the amiibo screenshots, but the rest are found on Nintendo's press sites. Presumably the amiibo screenshots were only added by a particular regional Nintendo (I know Nintendo UK doesn't have them).

Other than that, I don't think FE is big enough to have amazing looking fakes just yet : P

On March 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Lord_Grima said:
  Hide contents

aW9hDTF.jpg   WnNFZNj.jpgei5oGMa.jpg

I like the Phantoms. It is a cool way of adding these characters in without them being "real" or having an identity, such as "We are the fighters from the SM4SH world!" I like the ghostly aspect, In Fates I wanted a playable character with the "Phantom Purple Fire" effect.

It looks like Marth's and Robin's battle models gotten more improved than it looks like from Fire Emblem Fates. But, it looks like they are transparent it, most likely going invisible and it's almost similar to the Vattelites from Fire Emblem Fates.

Kinda think about it, I wondered where would all the six of them gets summoned in the map? I think it could be maybe that X mark on the map that we saw from the PAX East Footage and Two Armies trailer videos from Chapter 3 could be where the legacy characters could get summoned in that spot?

I also like to see how Ike, Lucina, and Corrin will look like in the game. And I wondered what battle conversation if one of the Whitewings or Zeke fight Marth in a Hero Battle be like similar to like how Selena, Laslow, and Odin have a battle conversation with Lucina and Robin in Fire Emblem Fates?

Edited by King Marth 64

I think a lot of people are getting fussy for no reason over how they did the towns.

If I had to guess, it's probably because the towns aren't really for exploring. All they're really good for in Gaiden is talking to characters and restocking supplies. It's not like a typical RPG where you can find things like side quests and stuff like in SMT or something.

That's probably why they didn't put much focus into that. Towns are not a focus of exploration so they simplified it. You'll get plenty of exploration fun in the dungeons.

8 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Kinda think about it, I wondered where would all the six of them gets summoned in the map? I think it could be maybe that X mark on the map that we saw from the PAX East Footage and Two Armies trailer videos from Chapter 3 could be where the legacy characters could get summoned in that spot?

I don't know offhand what you're talking about, but when you say "X mark", I think you might mean the paths that connect Alm's and Celica's routes -- or rather, what remains of them, because the X is to illustrate that those paths are no longer accessible.

I'm not sure what to think about the SMT view, I like it, but to be honest, it's not FE at all.
And the idea of searching for things in houses doesn't appeal to me either, I would have prefered if they were in 3D, but oh well.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Apparently scanning other amiibos results in allied monsters, I'm more interested in seeing those.

No reclassed then ? asked B;Leu in a hopeful tone.

23 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Reveal hidden contents

I always wondered why she couldn't wield it... then I remembered that Alm was the main character of a NES game. :p
Would be so cool if she could here.

On 24.3.2017 at 1:12 AM, King Marth 64 said:

It looks like Marth's and Robin's battle models gotten more improved than it looks like from Fire Emblem Fates. But, it looks like they are transparent it, most likely going invisible and it's almost similar to the Vattelites from Fire Emblem Fates.

I also like to see how Ike, Lucina, and Corrin will look like in the game. And I wondered what battle conversation if one of the Whitewings or Zeke fight Marth in a Hero Battle be like similar to like how Selena, Laslow, and Odin have a battle conversation with Lucina and Robin in Fire Emblem Fates?

Shadows of Valentia is getting DLC, right? Maybe we'll pay for maps that'll reward us with fully playable versions of the amiibo FE characters this time around? (Among other content.)

I feared that they might not have added past-character DLC to Fates due to the upcoming mobile game, and I guess this pretty much confirms it, considering how even the Amiibo functionality has been compromised. They make full models and partial artwork for them just for one turn npc summons...

Even though I like crossovers I couldn't get into Heroes, so this is pretty disappointing.

Edited by NeonZ

49 minutes ago, NeonZ said:

I feared that they might not have added past-character DLC to Fates due to the upcoming mobile game, and I guess this pretty much confirms it, considering how even the Amiibo functionality has been compromised. They make full models and partial artwork for them just for one turn npc summons...

Even though I like crossovers I couldn't get into Heroes, so this is pretty disappointing.

I don't think past-character DLC had to be a thing in Fates. They were in Awakening because they wanted to celebrate the whole series (believing it would be the last title). There was no point in replicating this in Fates. I agree with you that the problem with Fates DLC is that they clearly left things unfinished (unreleased skills, no Apotheosis-like map, etc.) to focus on upcoming games, but not in the sense past-character DLC had to be there.