New Screenshots

10 minutes ago, Pikappa93 said:

I don't think past-character DLC had to be a thing in Fates. They were in Awakening because they wanted to celebrate the whole series (believing it would be the last title). There was no point in replicating this in Fates. I agree with you that the problem with Fates DLC is that they clearly left things unfinished (unreleased skills, no Apotheosis-like map, etc.) to focus on upcoming games, but not in the sense past-character DLC had to be there.

Returning characters would be an easy selling point for the DLC. When they bothered implementing Chrom's model in Fates, but didn't make him a DLC character, it was pretty obvious something odd was going on.

Awakening also was reported as having high DLC sales in Japan at least, while they never promoted how well the Fates DLC did. I think it's pretty clear they sacrificed some sales potential there in order to make "play with your favorite heroes from the series" feature a selling point for Heroes, and this implementation of the Amiibo here seems to line up with that.

Edited by NeonZ

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, NeonZ said:

Returning characters would be an easy selling point for the DLC. When they bothered implementing Chrom's model in Fates, but didn't make him a DLC character, it was pretty obvious something odd was going on.

Awakening also was reported as having high DLC sales in Japan at least, while they never promoted how well the Fates DLC did. I think it's pretty clear they sacrificed some sales potential there in order to make "play with your favorite heroes from the series" feature a selling point for Heroes, and this implementation of the Amiibo here seems to line up with that.

The way they handled Fates DLC is always going to haunt me, what with all the loose ends and no proper conclusion.

I don't think it was just the new FE projects, I have a bad feeling Fates's DLC tanked in general compared to Awakening. That could be why sales numbers were never mentioned--you generally only talk about achievements, not failures. That said, sales could've been merely average.

My gut feeling is that Fates's 3 separate campaigns--plus the nightmare that was getting hold of the special edition--put many people off buying the individual DLCs. After all, even trying to play all 3 campaign already costed 80-100 dollars or so.

If true, it's a shame since the DLC for Fates was high quality overall and there was still tons of untapped potential.

Anyway... moving back to Echoes a little, a minor detail, but I found it amusing how they didn't bother localising the glyphs on the world map (eg. it's still Nova Portum, rather than Novis or something).