Do Manakete really eat people?

SullyMcGully

So, after reading through some Awakening support conversations, I noticed both Tiki and Nah mentioning eating humans in their supports with Anna and Inigo, consecutively. While they may have been jesting, they seemed kinda serious. Is there a precedent in a previous game for manakete that eat humans, or is this something Awakening made up?

I mean, they are dragons. I'm sure the Earth Dragon tribe ate people. Maybe not Divine Dragons like Tiki and Nowi. Maybe the more neutral tribes like the Fire and Ice tribes ate people from time to time.

Edited by Slumber

well...there's the super fucked up shit in FE3's ending where if you don't rescue the priests, Medeus will eat them if he were to die and gain full health back

Though I prefer to imagine that dragons have surpassed the need for consumption and just use it as a threat at most. and therefore the only time they actually eat people is in shitty vore fanfics that our resident weirdo Markyjoe exposes us to, which we do not speak of

Edited by Ritisa

19 minutes ago, Ritisa said:

well...there's the super fucked up shit in FE3's ending where if you don't rescue the priests, Medeus will eat them if he were to die and gain full health back

Though I prefer to imagine that dragons have surpassed the need for consumption and just use it as a threat at most. and therefore the only time they actually eat people is in shitty vore fanfics that our resident weirdo Markyjoe exposes us to, which we do not speak of

Oh God, I forgot Medeus can straight up eat units, including Marth's sister and a little girl.

See. Earth Dragons. They're fucked up.

Edited by Slumber

I would think at least, those that degenerated wouldn't mind eating them, as by that point they couldn't really control themselves and humans are a food source as any. But technically speaking, those that refused to take human form and degenerated aren't manaketes.

As for manaketes themselves... well, it's hard to say, trying to apply statements like "sapient being eating fellow sapient being of a different species" in a fictional world. Okay, there's Medeus as precedent, but I would think he's a special case, considering his third revival, transformation to dark dragon, and the fact as to what happens when he does it. But other than that... well, they have the size and capability, and have the awareness for it. Other than that... who knows...

Didn't Khozen say he ate Marth's mother? Or did he simply say he killed her? Baring his fangs like that certainly gives me the impression he did even if it's not explicitly stated.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Didn't Khozen say he ate Marth's mother? Or did he simply say he killed her? Baring his fangs like that certainly gives me the impression he did even if it's not explicitly stated.

Wrong manakete. It was Morzas. Best I know, it only state he killed her, but nothing more. And his (Morzas's) portrait doesn't show fangs, by the way.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wrong manakete. It was Morzas. Best I know, it only state he killed her, but nothing more. And his (Morzas's) portrait doesn't show fangs, by the way.

Gah. You're right. I was swapping the two in my head. That makes Khozen's mention of cooking flesh a little less suggestive.

1 hour ago, SullyMcGully said:

So, after reading through some Awakening support conversations, I noticed both Tiki and Nah mentioning eating humans in their supports with Anna and Inigo, consecutively. While they may have been jesting, they seemed kinda serious. Is there a precedent in a previous game for manakete that eat humans, or is this something Awakening made up?

Consider in real life, some people do really love to eat dogs, and some other object the idea of eating your lovely pets.

I think it's the same way.

Some dragons eat humans, and some others just don't.

I imagine the less, uh, morally scrupulous ones do. We already have the Medeus example, and while he's a Dark Dragon at that point, I honestly wouldn't put it past dragons who don't care about humanity (or even despise them, like in Medeus' case) to enjoy snacking on a human or two. I imagine they see them as tantamount to insects or vermin in the first place.

Of course, the good-aligned dragons wouldn't dare...sapient creature, and all. Though Nah using it as a threat is kind of a douchey thing to do, in all honesty... Could have been a reminder that even though they take adorable humanoid form and are allied with the good guys' side, they're still terrifying creatures through and through.

Edited by Extrasolar

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Volug half jokingly speculates on how the enemy would react if he randomly started eating the people he's killed.

Laguz are different from Manakete though.

As for the Laguz, Volug's line can't be taken seriously because all of his support lines have him goofing around and taking advantage of the fact that no one understands anything he says. But there are at least some Laguz who genuinely like to eat Beorc. Like Pain and Agony for example:

???“Grrruah! What is this?! Looks like a tasty snack turned up while we were out!”

Pain: Mwah-ha-ha! Beorc are good eats!
Micaiah: Listen up! We did not intentionally intrude on your territory.
Pain: Mwah-ha-ha! I’ll listen…while I’m gnawing on your bones!

But they are most certainly not representative of the Laguz in general because it's very unlikely that their group is in any way influenced by the culture and customs of the actual Laguz nations. Jill did mention in PoR that there are refugees from Begnion hiding in the mountains and forests of Daein, so they are probably just a bunch of escaped slaves or the descendants of escaped slaves. And as slaves they probably weren't taught anything but obedience to their masters and the skills required to serve them. Nothing that would guide them after they escaped their masters' control.

Edited by BrightBow

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

As for the Laguz, Volug's line can't be taken seriously because all of his support lines have him goofing around and taking advantage of the fact that no one understands anything he says. But there are at least some Laguz who genuinely like to eat Beorc. Like Pain and Agony for example:

???“Grrruah! What is this?! Looks like a tasty snack turned up while we were out!”

But they are most certainly not representative of the Laguz in general because it's very unlikely that their group is in any way influenced by the culture and customs of the actual Laguz nations. Jill did mention in PoR that there are refugees from Begnion hiding in the mountains and forests of Daein, so they are probably just a bunch of escaped slaves or the descendants of escaped slaves. And as slaves they probably weren't taught anything but obedience to their masters and the skills required to serve them. Nothing that would guide them after they escaped their masters' control.

Erh, for this case, I don't think it literally means eating people.

I don't know about other languages, but sometime my people use these kind of slang with the meaning of rape.

When some dirty guys say a girl is delicious and want to eat her, that means they want to fuck or rape her, but not eat her.

Edited by hanhnn

1 hour ago, hanhnn said:

Erh, for this case, I don't think it literally means eating people.

I don't know about other languages, but sometime my people use these kind of slang with the meaning of rape.

When some dirty guys say a girl is delicious and want to eat her, that means they want to fuck or rape her, but not eat her.

And gnawing on ones bones would be a metaphor for what exactly? You could basically take a slang perspective on most pieces of dialogue a character makes for a brief discussion like that. Occult's razor would suggest he means just what he says, especially when it's reinforced in two different ways (and one piece doesn't refer to Micaiah specifically but Beorcs as a species overall). There's also that one boss who's name eludes me right now. Septimus or something, who is terrified o the Laguz eating him which means there's probably a precedent even if it's from a minority.

Edited by Jotari

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And gnawing on ones bones would be a metaphor for what exactly? You could basically take a slang perspective on most pieces of dialogue a character makes for a brief discussion like that. Occult's razor would suggest he means just what he says, especially when it's reinforced in two different ways (and one piece doesn't refer to Micaiah specifically but Beorcs as a species overall). There's also that one boss who's name eludes me right now. Septimus or something, who is terrified o the Laguz eating him which means there's probably a precedent even if it's from a minority.

It could be more than just a normal rape, like BDSM, torture ....

Anyway, there'll be nothing good for the victims.

Edited by hanhnn

I don't think its stated directly Medeus ate them, just took their life forces as sacrifices. The animations depicts Medeus attacking them.

Khozen did mention that he'll cook the flesh of his foes but it could be a simple threat.

DracoZombies are mentioned to eat people in FE2, as are Degenerated Dragon(the fire tribe).

Edited by Emperor Hardin

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Pain may have just used that as a scare tactic too. Not that he eats them, though I could see evil Laguz doing so. I took it more as a "hey we're really scary" kinda threat, just to mess with the enemy. I never took it as he was going to eat her. But then again, who knows haha.

I do think, like many have said here, that the bad dragons most likely eat people. Even more so maybe, if they're always in dragon form. 

Ferals and not so nice to humans dragons? Yes. Divines and other good dragons, not so much.

As for Laguz, the idea that eat is a euphemism for rape is particularly untenable for them. Remember, Laguz lose their powers if they conceive a child upon a Beorc and that the Parentless are ostracized by Laguz. If rape were to happen and a pregnancy occur, the Laguz who did it would be left defenseless and humiliated before the rest of their pack. If we assume only thugs rape, then in all likelihood, the raper would be killed by his own kind.

On 3/24/2017 at 6:45 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Remember, Laguz lose their powers if they conceive a child upon a Beorc and that the Parentless are ostracized by Laguz. 

As much as I love the Tellius games, I don't recall this specific point being explained.  I remember it being in various conversations throughout the story of Radiant Dawn, but why do they lose their powers?  Is the birthing process magical, or something?

This doesn't happen for Manaketes, so.... why laguz?

Edited by Lord Tullus

7 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

As much as I love the Tellius games, I don't recall this specific point being explained.  I remember it being in various conversations throughout the story of Radiant Dawn, but why do they lose their powers?  Is the birthing process magical, or something?

It's never explained. Much like where the Brand actually comes from and why it skips generations sometimes. Given that both males and females loose their powers, it's unlikely to be something to do with the birthing process.

Dunno why Laguz lose their powers, that is never explained.

In the case of a Laguz mother, it happens when she is impregnated- I can get some sense of a fantasy logic behind that.

But it makes zero sense in the case of a Laguz father because it doesn't happen until the child is out of the womb. A male body has no way of knowing whether it has conceived a child on a woman or not, and of course no way of knowing whether a such a woman has given birth or not. Also, what if the woman aborted the child/it died in the womb? Would the Laguz father lose his powers then?

Unless, by some really strange coincidence, sexual contact between a male Laguz and female Beorc always carries the potential of infecting the male with some form of gradual Laguz power decline which takes say ~ten months for the symptoms to manifest (a pregnancy + some time before it during the attempting to make a baby phase and the post-birth phase). Basically a kind of STD. But then how is it that a pregnancy always seems to be accompanied by a power loss if sexual contact only carries the potential of infection? And why only Laguz males? Or do females get it too, but pregnancy accelerates the appearance of symptoms?

I'm thinking too much on this. 

RE Laguz losing their powers

It's likely purely magical in nature, and has something to do with the goddesses. Maybe it has something to do with already-existent magic/supernatural power in the blood of the laguz that allows them to shapeshift (if i recall the Tellius Recollection's explanation of it, they use their ki in order to change their forms).

It might be a conscious magical thing on Ashera's part, since Branded are described in-universe as being unnatural and cursed, or something to that effect iirc. The laguz parent losing their powers is likely a magical "punishment" for breaking the "rule" against beorc and laguz reproduction. It does seem kind of unfair or strange that the beorc involved isn't "punished" as well, but there's not a whole lot they can do to a completely normal human in the first place that doesn't involve just...making them ugly or weak or something, and I guess that's not Ashera's style.

Just my best explanation for it, at least.

Except Yune had no knowledge of the Branded. And the first was not conceived until Lehran and Altina were married- after Ashera went into sleep. The Goddesses explicitly had no idea the Branded existed- which is probably why Ashera's stony judgment doesn't affect them- it was specifically made to target only Laguz and Beorc- animals are explicitly stated as spared.