Has Alm's class been confirmed as "Fighter" in the localization

15 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

Wow, Treehouse wasn't given this game? That might be for the best considering some psychopaths would avoid the game after their localization job on Fates got so much hate.

And, hold up, I thought Alm did promote into a Dread Fighter much like Celica does to Princess. Am I wrong?

No Dread Fighter was the final promotion of Mercenary. Alm promoted to Hero, a Sword/Bow using class.

23 minutes ago, Forged Thoron said:

Dread fighter was calles Demon fighter in FE2 and only used swords. It was a promotion of mecenary.

It also promoted to Village allowing infinite leveling. While your stats went down a little upon class change to village, some still remained, abusing this was pretty much the only way to get RES growth in Gaiden.

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

It also promoted to Village allowing infinite leveling. While your stats went down a little upon class change to village, some still remained, abusing this was pretty much the only way to get RES growth in Gaiden.

To clarify this :  Characters gained 15 Res every time they promoted into Demon Fighter. When Demon Fighter became Villager, they lost the Res Bonus, but every other stats stayed the same..

I don't understand why they chose "Fighter" though; that's not even what the Japanese was!  The Japanese was called "SWORDfighter"!  The only reason he was called "Fighter" in the translation patches was due to space limitations!

Edited by FionordeQuester

2 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

I don't understand why they chose "Fighter" though; that's not even what the Japanese was!  The Japanese was called "SWORDfighter"!  The only reason he was called "Fighter" in the translation patches was due to space limitations!

No, Alm was just a "Fighter" even in Japanese.

There is a Swordfighter class, but it's a promoted Mercenary. Which BTW is gonna be pretty weird if they localise it to Myrmidon.

59 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

There is a Swordfighter class, but it's a promoted Mercenary. Which BTW is gonna be pretty weird if they localise it to Myrmidon.

It is, yeah.

Edited by Tryhard

34 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Nice one. I was too focused on the weapon, haha.

Which reminds me, there's not a lot of space for class names in that unit preview. Makes me wonder if Dread Fighter will be renamed or shortened (to D Fighter).

I'm more surprised they didn't change it to Swordmaster, but I'm glad this little quirk has finally been settled so I can stop referring to the class vaguely as 'Sword Fighter' or 'Promoted Mercenary.'

1 hour ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

That's unfortunate. I wonder why they didn't keep the normal naming convention for Mercs by calling it "Hero", or something. 

Hero is not on the table and could never be on the table, because it is Alm's promoted class. It's similar to how "Hero" was unique to Greil and Ike in the Tellius games -- and actually in more ways than one, because the Myrmidon line substituted for it there too. Though it was handled a bit differently; Gaiden only replaced Hero itself, while Tellius removed the entire line.

4 minutes ago, Iridium said:

It's similar to how "Hero" was unique to Greil and Ike in the Tellius games -- and actually in more ways than one, because the Myrmidon line substituted for it there too. Though it was handled a bit differently; Gaiden only replaced Hero itself, while Tellius removed the entire line.

Ranger/Hero replaced Mercenary, not the Myrmidon line. Just a quick clarification.

14 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Hero is not on the table and could never be on the table, because it is Alm's promoted class.

14 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Hero was the name of the bow wielding class that Alm promotes into

I'm aware of this, but it's possible Alm's could just get localized as Lord. That said, what I meant by "Hero" was just something in that vein of thinking, rather than a class name that has been used in every English FE game (barring Fates) as an unpromoted Swordmaster. 

They could've called the class Ranger or Vanguard to continue the Mercenary themed naming, or even Swordmaster, which would actually fit with the 2nd tier naming. 

It's not really a big deal, just odd looking to me.

3 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I'm aware of this, but it's possible Alm's could just get localized as Lord. That said, what I meant by "Hero" was just something in that vein of thinking, rather than a class name that has been used in every English FE game (barring Fates) as an unpromoted Swordmaster. 

They could've called the class Ranger or Vanguard to continue the Mercenary themed naming, or even Swordmaster, which would actually fit with the 2nd tier naming. 

It's not really a big deal, just odd looking to me.

Alm isn't strictly of royal lineage, though, at least not at the beginning of Gaiden.

1 hour ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

That's unfortunate. I wonder why they didn't keep the normal naming convention for Mercs by calling it "Hero", or something. 

My gut feeling is to keep in line with Gaiden's bizarre deviations. I'm sure Myrmidons being a promoted class will stick in people's minds, rather than "oh, everything is just in other FEs".

Same with Alm and the Fighter class.

Now I just need to know what's happened to Dread Fighter ^^

Just now, Extrasolar said:

Ranger/Hero replaced Mercenary, not the Myrmidon line. Just a quick clarification.

I'm talking about the role served by the class, and not necessarily the class itself. In most games within the series, "Mercenary" represents a standard sword-fighting unit without any special traits, while "Myrmidon" represents a more specialized version aimed toward swift and skillful attacks. In Gaiden and in Tellius, the "Mercenary" role is taken up by the lord, and the "Myrmidon" role is generalized slightly and used as the basic non-special sword infantry unit in place of it.

Gaiden is a little bit different from Tellius in that the "Mercenary" class technically still exists on its own, but its promotions definitely are more inspired by the Myrmidon and Swordmaster classes they technically predate.

1 minute ago, VincentASM said:

My gut feeling is to keep in line with Gaiden's bizarre deviations. I'm sure Myrmidons being a promoted class will stick in people's minds, rather than "oh, everything is just in other FEs".

We also have Soldiers that promote into Knights, and Snipers that promote into Bow Knights! Those are pretty weird too. We also have Saint as a second-tier class and Mages that promote into clones of Celica.

16 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I'm aware of this, but it's possible Alm's could just get localized as Lord.

Alm is not considered nobility upon receiving either of his classes, so having a title of nobility would not make very much sense. If either of the main characters were to have their class hijacked by Lord, it would be Celica, who actually does promote after something might happen that would justify it. Her second class is confirmed "Princess", though.

3 hours ago, Iridium said:

I'm talking about the role served by the class, and not necessarily the class itself. In most games within the series, "Mercenary" represents a standard sword-fighting unit without any special traits, while "Myrmidon" represents a more specialized version aimed toward swift and skillful attacks. In Gaiden and in Tellius, the "Mercenary" role is taken up by the lord, and the "Myrmidon" role is generalized slightly and used as the basic non-special sword infantry unit in place of it.

I wouldn't say they don't have any special traits. Mercenaries are often some of the best units in the games due to their growths being good all-around, often with the exception of pitiful resistance or something (common in most physical units, though). I'd consider that a special trait. And they're often the only units that start with swords, but diversify into axes upon promotion. Mercenaries are far rarer than myrmidons as enemy units, as I've found, and even then, sword-wielding enemy units in general pale in comparison to the number of spear-wielding or axe-wielding enemy units.

Ranger is basically "Mercenary with the serial numbers filed off," in that its growths are very Mercenary (they're generally high all around), and Ike does get the ability to use axe-likes in RD (though the class was renamed to "Vanguard," it's still pretty clearly Hero).

Myrmidons are also sword-fighting classes, but very, very different from mercenaries in that they're famous for being very fragile, but extremely fast and skilled, while remaining swordlocked the entire time. I wouldn't say that myrmidons are generalized at all in Tellius; they've still got the same myrmidon growths, and they still get the Myrmidon-special Astra and one of them comes with the special Killing Edge (Zihark).

Ike's Aether is just a unique thing to him and his father in general, since no one but him and Greil can even use it.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

...Huh.  You're right.  The original name is 戦士; which translates into just "soldier, combatant, warrior"...huh.  Sheesh, I don't have any idea where I got "Swordfighter" from!  Maybe that was just me trying to figure out a better name to call him, and then getting my wires crossed >_> ...

18 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

...Huh.  You're right.  The original name is 戦士; which translates into just "soldier, combatant, warrior"...huh.  Sheesh, I don't have any idea where I got "Swordfighter" from!  Maybe that was just me trying to figure out a better name to call him, and then getting my wires crossed >_> ...

For those unaware, 戦士 has historically been localised as "Fighter" in Fire Emblem. Even as far back as Blazing Blade.

Sometimes the games alternate between katakana and kanji for class names, but they can often be the same class (you need to look at the context).

An example would be ソードファイター VS 剣士. The former is literally "swordfighter" and is used in Genealogy and Thracia. Meanwhile the latter can be interpreted differently, but it also means "swordfighter". This is the one used in Gaiden and pretty much every other game to date.

Sage is another one. In Gaiden and nearly every game it's 賢者 (wise man/sage), while the Jugdral games calls it セイジ (sage). Actually, I guess the Jugdral games really loved their katakana, haha.

Radiant Dawn is an exception in that every class is written in kanji and katakana, so you cannot get confused. Except when one reading looks very different to the other. Eg. Sanaki's Caesar (katakana) vs Empress (kanji).

Anyway, hope I didn't ramble too much.

Here's something to make up for it

(Just in case anyone wanted in-game proof.)