Saddest Death Quote?

Godhand

NGL, Emmeryn's.

I mean, first off she sacrificed herself for pretty much nothing, got horribly brain damaged and can no longer remember any of her family or friends.

Then of coarse, as soon as she dies, she remembers everything, but it's too late.

I swear to God, those Spot Pass units that come back actually have the shittiest time.

My favorite really sad one was from the original Gaiden. When Silque died, she said "Sorry everyone..."

In the game itself, it was read as

Sorry Everyone... Silque died! It seened more like in-game text than actual dialogue, kind of sad I didn't realize it was actually her one other line than her recruitment one.

Reference (14:45)

Spoiler

FE11 Cain had one of the best ones IMO, especially when taken in context with the prologue chapters.  You'd think an Altean knight would be a little less concerned about self-image, but I guess those events weighed on him far too much. . .

Since I've just finished Blazing Sword, IMHO I think Lyn's death quote was saddest.

" Oh... But I have so... so much... Oh, <player>... " It honestly felt like you lost a friend. Probably helps/made worse as she utters the player's name.

Although if I had to be frank, I think all children's death quote in "The Future's Past" were all big tearjerkers. Specifically. Yarne's since his last thought were not about "extinction", but safeties of his friends.

" I don't care if I die out... But please...not the others... "

I don't know if they're the saddest, but Nah has two horribly sad ones but in the regular game and in Future Past:

Regular game: “It's going to get terribly dark now... but that's okay... I'll be brave...”

Future Past: “I thought...I was ready for this, but...now I wish I...could've gone...home...”

Hell, all of Future Past is depressing, I mean just read Noire's:

“Mother... Father... Come for me... I d-don't want to die...alone...”

Edited by Thane

Dorcas' stands out to me the most in context of his game.

"I'm sorry Natalie... I have now broken... my oath..."

Mostly because, out of everybody in the franchise, few people had somebody who directly relied on them like Dorcas. Natalie and him are not only impoverished, she's sickly and crippled, with Dorcas being so desperate, that despite being a good, upstanding guy, he's willing to turn to banditry. Without Dorcas, she'll almost assuredly die, probably without even knowing that her husband is dead. And his death quote just reminds you of that.

Then there are people like Sara, who just have simple "I'm... lonely..." death quotes, which hit you hard in cases like hers, where she's Manfroy's granddaughter and basically been groomed her whole life by a bunch of creepy evil old men who were afraid of her. Plus she's 12 years old, and thus one of the youngest playable characters in FE history, so her dying a shitty death after living a shitty life is pretty... well, shitty.

Tanya's was always sad to me, too, since her dying words are calling out to her crush for help. Even sadder if Orsin is already dead himself, since now she's calling out to the person she loves, even though she knows they can't help.

Edited by Slumber

The saddest death quote is probably:

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.  But sad or merry, I must leave it now.  Farewell!"

I always tear up every time I get to that point in the book!

...oh, did you mean the saddest death quote in a Fire Emblem game?  In that case I'll have to agree with NekoKnight:

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Limstella's, oddly enough.

"I am not human. This mind and body are constructs. Yes, as is this sorrow."

The fact that the morphs can simultaneously feel sorrow and recognize that the sorrow is artificial was something I always found rather upsetting, and it just motivated me to take down Nergal all the more.

• 11 months later...
"So...this is how it ends..."  

— Lon'qu's death quote in Classic Mode. FE 13. *Cries to sleep at night* It's a damn shame. Lon'qu is easily one of the most loveable characters from Awakening, but when he dies, he acts with not an ounce of surprise. He knew what he was getting into when he joined Chrom, and here he is, getting himself killed all for you and Chrom. Talk about commitment.  (T-T)

On 24.3.2017 at 5:56 PM, Thane said:

I don't know if they're the saddest, but Nah has two horribly sad ones but in the regular game and in Future Past:

Regular game: “It's going to get terribly dark now... but that's okay... I'll be brave...”

Future Past: “I thought...I was ready for this, but...now I wish I...could've gone...home...”

Hell, all of Future Past is depressing, I mean just read Noire's:

“Mother... Father... Come for me... I d-don't want to die...alone...”

Holy hell, that's dark. Now I know why I always play on Casual and make sure to save all the kids in Future Past...

One of the saddest I've seen so far is probably this one, courtesy of Delthea:
“Oh crap. Am I...dying? I don't...I don't wanna die...I still have so much I...want to...”

It's probably more how her voice actress delivers it than the quote itself, but something about is just... plain cruel. Same with Faye's, actually.
“Alm? Where are you? I can't see you... And now I'm going to...I'm going to...”

I didn't really like how they made Marla and Hestia noncharacters in Echoes (they made not say much in Gaiden, but their portrait has a lot of attitude in it), but Hestia's battle and death quote in the final battle is delivered really well by the actor.

“That's no fair, Sonya... Why should you be the only one allowed to live as she chooses?”

After killing her.

“Oh... It seems so...obvious now. I should have just lived...as I pleased...like you...”

Like Limstella's you just get the feeling that she's so completely empty inside, but at the same time not. She's clearly yearning for more, but she's feels like a confused child or something in that she doesn't know how to be human. It's not just sad that she's dying, but that her entire life was eradicated a very long time ago. Really wish they actually had Sonya say something back, but this is Echoes and they hate individual battle quotes for some reason.

Edited by Jotari

• 2 weeks later...

Tiki's is really sad when you know how much her death quote changes through out FE SD --> FE Awakening

SD: "No...I don't want to be...alone..."

New Mystery: "Mar-mar..."

Awakening: "I won't have to be alone...anymore..."

Muarim: … I will not miss this body… I’ve only one wish in my heart… Child… Live strong. …''

Muarim: Thought I had lived…without regret… One now…lies heavy…in my heart… Little one…! Live free… Live well… Guh…''

Ever the daddy to the very end. Impressive when you consider that not only is Tormod not actually Muarim's kid but he's the kid of Muarim's abusive former owner.

Not exactly a death quote but there's also

Mae(crying): Oh Boey, please not you! 

Ike... Please live... Even if all the cities burn, and the seas swallow Tellius... You mustn't die... Not you..." Soren's death quote in Part 4

Makes my heart ache every time.

On 04/04/2018 at 12:38 PM, Hekselka said:

Tiki's is really sad when you know how much her death quote changes through out FE SD --> FE Awakening

SD: "No...I don't want to be...alone..."

New Mystery: "Mar-mar..."

Awakening: "I won't have to be alone...anymore..."

I find it interesting that in SD she believes she'll be alone if she dies but in Awakening she believes she won't be alone anymore. This contrast in death quotes piques my interest in her character. 

2 hours ago, Skylorella Con said:

Ike... Please live... Even if all the cities burn, and the seas swallow Tellius... You mustn't die... Not you..." Soren's death quote in Part 4

Makes my heart ache every time.

That's a very touching death quote. 

Spoiler

Tauroneo: How sad… To see Daein’s glory restored…was my only wish… My wife… My son… Live…well…

This quote is pretty sad considering how Tauroneo couldn't even see his lifelong dream established and instead both his dreams got ruined by him without him being able to accomplish anything. His obsession with Daein ended up ruining his family yet he's forced to betray Daein. Him dying in RD is just a big slap in the face because not only did he betray his family, he betrays his country and then fails to restore his country. 

Edited by Icelerate

• 3 years later...