Awakening was my first FE. I Just opened up Fates special edition and....

DarkWind

On 25.3.2017 at 9:04 PM, Dragrath said:

No the problem is that certain enemy skill combinations were outright impossible to win against... you weren't just "adapting your strategy" you were "resetting until the game seems possible..." That is the standard that any Luna+ Guides will give due to the absolute brokenness in the early chapters in particular.

This is especially bad for the early maps in particular the one where if an enemy gets Luna+ they can proceed to kill any and all of your units irregardless of the players action.(because even Freddy can't take a hit or OHKO said enemy...)

It's certainly unfortunate that some skill combinations make a win close to impossible, but from my experience there's generally very few of those. What's probably more dangerous is the chance to miss an important hit or suffer from an unfortunate crit, but imo that's more in line with the stuff Fire Emblem usually throws at you on higher difficulties.

Anyways, something similar is alo mentioned in this guide ( https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/52170-resetless-lunatic-run-completed-deathless-with-complete-guide/ ), relevant qote below:

What this comes down to is the enemy requiring very specific skill combinations to kill Fred, so it’s a pretty low chance (but we all know how that can go). Even with VLM-Mage and a VL-Myrm on their team, Fred can survive with 1 HP. The biggest issue is L-Barb, who more than doubles his damage. He and VLM-Mage will kill Fred exactly. VL-Myrm in tandem with L-Barb will also cause any Vantage+ Mage to kill Fred. If either of these enemy setups are present, it may be better to old strat where Fred solo kills the left Myrm and weakens the two Barbs (however, odds will still be poor because of the presence of L-Barb and a Vantage+ Mage).

Crits are also a possibility, thanks to the nature of Gamble and Elthunder’s bonus. Technically, all four characters working together can negate 15 or more crit, but the team doesn’t have the luxury of quadruple-teaming every enemy that has high crit. That’s why this guide will try to minimize the amount of attacks the enemy gets, in general.

2 minutes ago, Sias said:

It's certainly unfortunate that some skill combinations make a win close to impossible, but from my experience there's generally very few of those. What's probably more dangerous is the chance to miss an important hit or suffer from an unfortunate crit, but imo that's more in line with the stuff Fire Emblem usually throws at you on higher difficulties.

Anyways, something similar is alo mentioned in this guide ( https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/52170-resetless-lunatic-run-completed-deathless-with-complete-guide/ ), relevant quote below:

I guess I can see the point but I still feel that fates has shown that non randomized skill sets seem better but as always I'm sure there is some ideal ratio of common ground. Perhaps instead of complete randomness there would be specific skills that could be chosen for specific enemies? Well who knows I guess to each their own for me I believe there should always be a winning strategy to get past anything the game throws at you and FE13 Lunatic+ kinda breaks the rules in that regard even if it is unlikely. That said I feel it would have been okay once the players options open up just the early but seems excessive...

30 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

I guess I can see the point but I still feel that fates has shown that non randomized skill sets seem better but as always I'm sure there is some ideal ratio of common ground. Perhaps instead of complete randomness there would be specific skills that could be chosen for specific enemies? Well who knows I guess to each their own for me I believe there should always be a winning strategy to get past anything the game throws at you and FE13 Lunatic+ kinda breaks the rules in that regard even if it is unlikely. That said I feel it would have been okay once the players options open up just the early but seems excessive...

I agree that Fates' Lunatic is all in all more balanced, just like how Fates in general has refined a lot of the gameplay features that Awakening had used before.

On the other side however, I still do believe that random skill distribution in a future FE is possible without becoming too difficult and could be nice for potential replay value. Awakening's problem was that it started with extremely high enemy stats and incredibly strong skills a the same time, even though a more gradual increase in difficulty would've probably been the better idea. Chapter 2 for example would be far easier if they had switched the introduction time of Counter with that of PavGis+, and the earlygame in general should be far more bearable without Luna+ appearing as early as in the prologue. If you had a little more time to train your characters up and to prepare for impeding doom, it would feel far less "unfair" to the people who struggle with it (and let's be honest, that's almost everyone).

The only part of Lunatic+ that I really never want to see again is Counter, because seriously, this skill alone invalidates a sizable amount of your usable characters.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 3:03 AM, DarkWind said:

I'm really struggling to like it as much as I did with Awakening. I'm nearing chapter 6 but I'm having a hard time being drawn into my character/me and what's going on with this new fire emblem. 

And really doesn't help that the character creation in Fates... Well.... Sucks! It was great in Awakening when I could make and avatar that looked older and sounded older like I am in my mid 30s, I could identify my character more and see myself easier. I usually make characters in my RPGs based on me vs a fake one. 

So it's really not helping me that I look like a Japanese fairy tale male teenager no matter what I did.  

And why the hell am I stuck with red eyes only and have elf ears? Cmon! 

Yeah it was just a bad decision to not even allow change for eye-color, the ears and overall just the age and maturity of your build. It may be due to the plot why Corrin looks so young, maybe it would be weird if you had a avatar looking a bit more mature or older than your older brothers, Ryoma and Xander; I'm not too sure. I also liked Robin much better than Corrin in terms of a character as well, Robin much smarter and more realistic than Corrin for me too, much easier to relate to Robin than Corrin as well. I also found Awkanening to be somewhat more alluring than the newer game because to me Awakening had a better OST and story than Fates, Fates actually has some weird plot holes, but I won't spoil any of them for you. One thing I can not lie about though, is the gameplay in Fates; they practically made it way more fun, with better multiplayer functionality, more unique and challenging maps (except Apotheosis from Awakening, it's still the most challenging) and greater variations in weaponry and classes.

In terms of gameplay Conquest all the way for me because the map design and objectives were all really good, but in terms of avatar Awakening's Robin by a mile.   The stories in both Fates and Awakening are pretty bad, so I don't judge them by the story, but I have problems with the writing in both of them.  I play FE for gameplay so I guess I like Fates better then Awakening.

Edited by EricaofRenais