Mundane events that had a big impact on you?

Thane

Hello everyone.

Gather 'round the internet fireplace and let us share stories of everyday events that made a big impact on us. By that I don't mean tales of how you and your family survived a meteor crushing half your house or how you discovered the cure for alzheimers. No, these things are more mundane in nature, but still live on in our hearts in vivid detail.

My story takes place three years ago. I had postponed getting into university for two years in favor of working and traveling, as is common where I come from, but once I signed up for university I realized I had chosen a program which was completely wrong for me, and would need to wait yet another year before I could start studying for real. Stressed that my life was going nowhere, I took all the money I had earned over those two years and traveled to glorious Nippon to see the world and literally reevaluate my life choices.

But the trip itself is not what my tale is about. Nay, it's about one night in particular, when me and my friends were strolling through the busy streets of Fukuoka, looking for a place to kick back, have a drink and embarrass ourselves trying to sing.

Or so I thought!

You see, we eventually found a nice little corner of the city where we could all get a room and sing. I don't remember how many we were, but I would bet we were around eight, nine or 10 people. One of them was my kinsman, a very friendly and great guy, but his appearance was not what you'd call standard. He was around 30, short, and bald, yet sported a well-kept, brown beard which he had styled into a thin braid below his chin, adorned with three gold rings. He used a crutch to get around due to a hip surgery he had had back home, which added to the odd vibe his appearance emitted. 

So we all took our turns singing, having a merry time without making fun of each other, even though that one Canadian girl who didn't know Korean tried singing Gangnam Style. Then, just before it was my turn, the curious man I described earlier took the mic and prepared to sing a song from Queen, a band to which I had listened very little in spite of their tremendous popularity. With my interest piqued, I placed my beer on the table in front of me and crossed my arms, my eyes focused on the screen and my ears primed for the upcoming performance.

And what came from those lips, ladies and gentlemen, was the best singing voice I had ever heard in person. The sheer energy and joy that filled the song as he sang the powerful lyrics of I want it all seemed to echo across the room and send shivers up our spines, like we had just received a private show from a world famous rockstar. How could I describe the feeling adequately to you, being there on the other side of the world and listening to someone filling such a powerful song with equally powerful emotions, bringing it to life in a way that I did not know possible?  

To this day, I think about what I heard in that room, and I want it all remains my favorite song which I always play when I need both encouragement and a dose of nostalgia. And that is how a not so normal day out with my friends gave me a memory I'll always treasure.

Edited by Thane