Restoring Deleted Data

Rezzy

I'm paranoid, and usually I back up my saves whenever possible.  With Heroes, I'm glad that if my phone breaks, I can still have my data saved with my Nintendo account, unlike most Nintendo games nowadays.

However, it's too easy to delete all my data on the phone.  If my data gets deleted by my two year old, is there a way to restore it?

Why even be able to entirely delete an account at all?  Why not just let you unlink it from your phone?  I've spent hundreds of dollars and hours on this game and don't want to loose it.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm paranoid, and usually I back up my saves whenever possible.  With Heroes, I'm glad that if my phone breaks, I can still have my data saved with my Nintendo account, unlike most Nintendo games nowadays.

However, it's too easy to delete all my data on the phone.  If my data gets deleted by my two year old, is there a way to restore it?

Why even be able to entirely delete an account at all?  Why not just let you unlink it from your phone?  I've spent hundreds of dollars and hours on this game and don't want to loose it.

I think if you get the game on 2 devices and the data is killed on one you'll still have it on the other. If you can get 2 more devices you can test this by making another account.

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I think if you get the game on 2 devices and the data is killed on one you'll still have it on the other. If you can get 2 more devices you can test this by making another account.

I mean if someone clicks on the shiny red button that says "Delete All Data" in the settings, is there a way to restore the data?

Googling it only gives stuff on rerolling.  I hate when data is too easy to delete.

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

as long as you don't delet your game in game it will be completely safe

source, I broke my phone last week and got a new one

But what if someone does delete your data in game?  This is a real possibility with little kids who grab everything.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I mean if someone clicks on the shiny red button that says "Delete All Data" in the settings, is there a way to restore the data?

Googling it only gives stuff on rerolling.  I hate when data is too easy to delete.

If that's what you mean, then I'm not so sure. 

But if you read what it says on the screen it states:

If you delete all your data, all information will be deleted, including your gameplay data for this app, friend list, orbs, and any items you have.

ANY link between fire emblem heroes and a Nintendo account WILL ALSO BE REMOVED. However, it will not affect the usage of your Nintendo account.

sound like you can't restore it at all

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

If that's what you mean, then I'm not so sure. 

But if you read what it says on the screen it states:

If you delete all your data, all information will be deleted, including your gameplay data for this app, friend list, orbs, and any items you have.

ANY link between fire emblem heroes and a Nintendo account WILL ALSO BE REMOVED. However, it will not affect the usage of your Nintendo account.

sound like you can't restore it at all

That's what I'm afraid of, and it's very worrisome.

Why can't they at least make you enter a password?

Edited by Rezzy

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

if you're on android you should have a kids mode

28 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Why is a good question. Too bad nobody here is from IS or Nintendo to answer it  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a more serious side of things, whenever your kids touch your phone you can just make sure you tell them "No!" and if they keep touching it you can give them a time out (or beat them if that is your preffered method of teaching). As stupid as it may sound, that's probably what you're gonna have to do (I don't have kids so I tried my best). You can write Nintendo about it in the customer support part of settings

Put a password on your phone (pin, pattern, whatever you prefer) itself and lock it after some time of inactivity, as well if you press the home button.

I don't think there's a way to restore things in-game, but honestly locking your phone when you're not physically using it is just good practice in general.

Some of the newer phones have fingerprint sensors (I use a Nexus 5x and it comes with one) so if your phone has one it can save you the hassle of having to type in a password all the time while still giving you some security, at least where kids are concerned.

Edited by Thor Odinson

12 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Why is a good question. Too bad nobody here is from IS or Nintendo to answer it  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a more serious side of things, whenever your kids touch your phone you can just make sure you tell them "No!" and if they keep touching it you can give them a time out (or beat them if that is your preffered method of teaching). As stupid as it may sound, that's probably what you're gonna have to do (I don't have kids so I tried my best). You can write Nintendo about it in the customer support part of settings

I guess I could find the wooden spoon my mom used to hit me with.  I scold Leo when he grabs things he isn't supposed to, but a curious toddler is going to grab everything he can, so I was hoping for something preventative.

12 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

if you're on android you should have a kids mode

10 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

Put a password on your phone (pin, pattern, whatever you prefer) itself and lock it after some time of inactivity, as well if you press the home button.

I don't think there's a way to restore things in-game, but honestly locking your phone when you're not physically using it is just good practice in general.

Some of the newer phones have fingerprint sensors (I use a Nexus 5x and it comes with one) so if your phone has one it can save you the hassle of having to type in a password all the time while still giving you some security, at least where kids are concerned.

Those things would prevent access if the phone's been idling, but the more common situation is I have my phone out, with Est on my lap, then she has a blow out or otherwise requires my immediate attention.  I leave the phone on my desk, and that leaves it open for child #2 to come and grab the phone.  That's why I think we should be able to restore the data or password protect the game from getting deleted so easily.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I guess I could find the wooden spoon my mom used to hit me with.  I scold Leo when he grabs things he isn't supposed to, but a curious toddler is going to grab everything he can, so I was hoping for something preventative.

Those things would prevent access if the phone's been idling, but the more common situation is I have my phone out, with Est on my lap, then she has a blow out or otherwise requires my immediate attention.  I leave the phone on my desk, and that leaves it open for child #2 to come and grab the phone.  That's why I think we should be able to restore the data or password protect the game from getting deleted so easily.

Press the power button on the side as you put the phone on the desk and go into settings to make sure power button = autolock. Just do it as you set down the phone and will not cost extra time. 

Saying those things doesn't really do anything unless you go contact help desk about it or something, because we certainly don't have the capability to go into the source code and just code in a backup option, but getting in the habit of locking your phone as you put it down can help you make it more secure, not just for Heroes but for anything else.

Rezzy, believe me, I know how you feel. When he was a toddler, my younger brother deleted my file on Zelda: The Minish Cap twice. I was so mad because I was enjoying that game so much.

But sadly, I doubt there is any way to restore data deleted that way. I've never seen other games implement a method, so I'm not sure why Heroes would be any different.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Rezzy, believe me, I know how you feel. When he was a toddler, my younger brother deleted my file on Zelda: The Minish Cap twice. I was so mad because I was enjoying that game so much.

But sadly, I doubt there is any way to restore data deleted that way. I've never seen other games implement a method, so I'm not sure why Heroes would be any different.

Yeah, thankfully, my little sister never deleted my data, but my cousin's little brother had a habit of deleting data.

The difference I could think of for Heroes, would be that the data is stored off-site rather than on the device, like most other Nintendo stuff.  They also say it is possible to restore your data, if your delete your entire Nintendo Account, but not if you delete it within the game, if I read correctly.  Since there are people who pour hundreds or even thousands of dollars into the game, there should be better protections on the data.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, thankfully, my little sister never deleted my data, but my cousin's little brother had a habit of deleting data.

The difference I could think of for Heroes, would be that the data is stored off-site rather than on the device, like most other Nintendo stuff.  They also say it is possible to restore your data, if your delete your entire Nintendo Account, but not if you delete it within the game, if I read correctly.  Since there are people who pour hundreds or even thousands of dollars into the game, there should be better protections on the data.

Yeah, I see your point there. It would suck to lose all those hours and that money because the data was deleted. I do agree, better protection on data in this case would be a good idea.

• 5 months later...

day one player, long time FE fan. ive spent over 1 grand on this game.. and just had this happen to me. no reply from nintendo. apple says they cant do anything.  am i screwed?

why would they make a paid product so easily destroyed and with no way to recover it?  I had almost all the 5 star units.  feels like this game is just a money making scam, im angry and feel majorly cheated in more ways than one, I dont think ill ever buy a product published by IS again, this is just too much.

Edited by l33tspock

13 hours ago, l33tspock said:

day one player, long time FE fan. ive spent over 1 grand on this game.. and just had this happen to me. no reply from nintendo. apple says they cant do anything.  am i screwed?

why would they make a paid product so easily destroyed and with no way to recover it?  I had almost all the 5 star units.  feels like this game is just a money making scam, im angry and feel majorly cheated in more ways than one, I dont think ill ever buy a product published by IS again, this is just too much.

That seriously sucks. What happened - was it a child? How long have you waited on a reply from Nintendo? Might be worth leaving a negative review - I sometimes see replies on them.

2 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

That seriously sucks. What happened - was it a child? How long have you waited on a reply from Nintendo? Might be worth leaving a negative review - I sometimes see replies on them.

This is a terrible idea, because it's not Nintendo's direct fault (this isn't a glitch).   As is responding to posts that break the rules.