What´s going on with SRPG Studio?

Seti

SRPG studio, the program that the fire emblem daddy himself uses to make games has still not gotten translated into english. Are they even planning on translating it anymore? Could we try to convince them in some way that the program would sell really well if they translated it? Something like a petition sounds silly but if it could convince FROM software to port Dark souls to pc then it should be worth a try at least.

2 hours ago, Mr.Pikachu said:

SRPG studio, the program that the fire emblem daddy himself uses to make games has still not gotten translated into english. Are they even planning on translating it anymore? Could we try to convince them in some way that the program would sell really well if they translated it? Something like a petition sounds silly but if it could convince FROM software to port Dark souls to pc then it should be worth a try at least.

From what I can tell, SRPG studio is a budget release and other than the sheer coincidence of Kaga using it for kicks, it's not really anything special. The other thing is that Japanese developers--especially really small ones--may not be interested in the international market.

Not saying we can't try to convince them, but it's going to be a hard sell. Especially coming from fans who, from their perspective, may or may not know what they're talking about. Whereas if an actual English localisation studio approached them, it would be a different scenario.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

From what I can tell, SRPG studio is a budget release and other than the sheer coincidence of Kaga using it for kicks, it's not really anything special. The other thing is that Japanese developers--especially really small ones--may not be interested in the international market.

Not saying we can't try to convince them, but it's going to be a hard sell. Especially coming from fans who, from their perspective, may or may not know what they're talking about. Whereas if an actual English localisation studio approached them, it would be a different scenario.

Are there other engines that use a Fire Emblem-esque battle system? I've been meaning to start on a long-term project and can't decide if I'm better off using SRPG Studio or simply hacking FE7.

8 minutes ago, Not so bueno said:

Are there other engines that use a Fire Emblem-esque battle system? I've been meaning to start on a long-term project and can't decide if I'm better off using SRPG Studio or simply hacking FE7.

It's a somewhat cliched answer, but I would recommend FEXNA. Whenever it comes out that is.

In the meantime, I would try practicing with FE7.

Just know that hacking, even though it's a lot more user-friendly these days, is a lot different to most forms of game making (since you're reverse engineering vs engineering).

10 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

It's a somewhat cliched answer, but I would recommend FEXNA. Whenever it comes out that is.

In the meantime, I would try practicing with FE7.

Just know that hacking, even though it's a lot more user-friendly these days, is a lot different to most forms of game making (since you're reverse engineering vs engineering).

Thanks for the quick answer. I've never heard of FEXNA but I'll give it a look.

There's definitely things I want to do that might prove to be difficult such as changing up the chapter maps/winning conditions and expanding cutscenes (adding a Seth vs Valter type scene). I'm not sure any of that is possible but I do know that there are some pretty well done hacks and will probably look them up before I begin. I heard The Last Promise added voice acting and that was years ago. 

If it helps, all-new, 100% custom chapters and events/cutscenes are both very possible with GBAFE ROM hacking. Can't speak as to how easy or hard they are, but they're well-trodden territory at this point, so it should be easy to at least find tutorials and utilities and stuff to help you on your way.