So...Graves Give More Avoid Than Ryoma at Base

At base at chapter 13 Birthright and 16 Revelation, with the Raijinto, Ryoma has 56 avoid. You think it's fair that graves give 4 more avoid than that? This game's going to be so balanced, right?

considering magic hit is not affected by avoid, and the first time you encounter graves you have a full team of mages

also we dont have confirmation its 60 avoid exactly. so like...yeah gaiden was bad about balance by we dont know if Shadows of Valentia will be the same way.

Just now, Dandragon said:

considering magic hit is not affected by avoid, and the first time you encounter graves you have a full team of mages

also we dont have confirmation its 60 avoid exactly. so like...yeah gaiden was bad about balance by we dont know if Shadows of Valentia will be the same way.

Well, I mean screenshots and gameplay show a 60 in the top left of the screen when the cursor is on graves, plus it was like that in Gaiden so I think the assumption is safe. And sure you have a full team of mages...like 3 of them not counting Genny.

2 minutes ago, Dandragon said:

genny had Nosferatu, it counts

I mean...4 mages, and one sucks at hitting. The only other mages on Celica's side are Sonia and Nomah, and the only one that needs to fight graves is Sonia. And that's only for one map.

But I just thought this was a funny comparison considering how dodgy Ryoma is.

Most graves to my understanding are on Celica's side, where you have no fewer than 3 mages off the bat-- and magic ignores terrain effects.

Edited by The DanMan

10 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Most graves to my understanding are on Celica's side, where you have no fewer than 3 mages off the bat-- and magic ignores terrain effects.

I agree. It won't be that big of a deal since you will have a good group of mages and graves show up like 3 times, so it won't be that big an issue.

33 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

I agree. It won't be that big of a deal since you will have a good group of mages and graves show up like 3 times, so it won't be that big an issue.

Those graves actually can be more helpful to your side than the enemy, since your low-defense mages can use them to dodge enemy tanks more easily and not get themself killed (Celica on her very first battle has only mages and a healer... but there are graves)

Question- how exactly do tombstones raise avoid so much? Anti-evil spirit wards? Guess that'd have to be it, because IS later invented magic circle terrain (T776), wardwood, healstones, and cover (all in the Tower of Guidance in RD).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I think the units are just hiding behind the tombstone. Can't get hit if there's a giant slab of rock in the way, can't you?

You know, I asked myself that question for the past few days, and that is the best idea I have heard for the reason it raises avoid so much.

7 hours ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

I mean...4 mages, and one sucks at hitting.

This is Gaiden, they all suck at hitting

Edited by Pixelman

11 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Gaiden was the first Fire Emblem to incorporate waist high cover. A hallmark inspiration for third person shooters 15 years later.

Third person shooters love chest high walls, not waist high walls. Just going to point it out there. Not to mention, your average headstone is fairly taller than waist high.

12 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

I think the units are just hiding behind the tombstone. Can't get hit if there's a giant slab of rock in the way, can't you?

If an arrow can go over a wall with surprising accuracy(Though this is Fire Emblem so it's through the wall instead), why can't they do it with the graves? Do the arrows form a bit of sentience and become respectful of the dead? I'm serious, I wanna know!

Edited by Commander Xelon