Quicker charge or stronger effect?

Corrobin

Offensive skills!  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of second-tier skills do you prefer?

• Faster-charging ones! (Moonbow, Glimmer, Noontime, etc.)
    • Stronger ones! (Luna, Astra, Sol, etc.)

Given the choice between a same-power but faster-charging skill and a more powerful but same-charging speed skill, which do you prefer on your heroes?

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Like everything else, it's situational, with a bunch of different factors.  Thus, it's impossible to answer the question as-is.

It's about people's personal opinions, not conclusively "Which one is better". Notice how I used the word "prefer" in the OP?

20 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

It's about people's personal opinions, not conclusively "Which one is better". Notice how I used the word "prefer" in the OP?

I "prefer" things based on the situation.  So my point still stands.

Echoing @eclipse, my preference is whichever one is better on that particular character and build because in particular situations, some are simply objectively better.

For example, my Brave Sword Hana build requires Escutcheon to work because it needs to have a cooldown of 2. Pavise does not work because it will not be ready in time for the opponent's counterattack.

A Quick Riposte build uses a cooldown of 2, 3 or 4 depending on the character's Spd and how you intend to play the build. On a mid-Spd character that isn't getting double attacked often (but has trouble double attacking), a cooldown of 2 will allow your special skill to activate on your follow-up attack as a finisher during every round of combat, whereas a cooldown of 3 will allow your special skill to be fully charged for player phase. A slow character that is often being attacked twice can use a cooldown of 3 or 4, respectively, for the same purpose.

A Vantage build on a character that rarely double attacks or is double attacked uses a cooldown of 2 so that the special skill is fully charged at the beginning of the next round of combat. On a slow or extremely fast character, a cooldown of 3 has the same effect.

Weaponbreaker builds have similar considerations.

Astra is useless in the arena because it takes so long to charge and typically deals more damage than is ever necessary. Galeforce, on the other hand, works well when equipped with a Brave weapon to compensate for the long cooldown.

I too echo them. But will touch on AoE skills. They have a long CD of 5 and can ONLY activate at the start of your attack. This means that it normally takes 2 battles before you can even use it. Your unit also needs to be able to survive those 2 battles. Generally surviving means the enemy dies. Will an AoE skill really matter when 50% of their forces are dead?

Edited by Clogon

It depends on the situation... But mostly it depends if you're sporting a brave/dire or charge weapon.  Most of the time shorter charge times between 2-3 are optimal.  None the less there are a few brave/dire characters who can easily make full use out of 4-5 charge skills.  

Some good examples of useful 4-5 charge skills:
Cordelia with Bravelance will kill red targets with a single double swipe (and a number of blue units).  But since she has Triangle adept you can use Cordelia to bait reds and tank a hit.  She'll kill them if she outspeeds them but otherwise she'll have to follow up.  But by getting two kills and taking one hit she will charge Galewind allowing for one more kill or running away.  

Reinhardt has this same capability as a Dire Thunder user.  Allowing him to frequently charge up blazing Thunder.  Rather humorously Reinhardt can actually go against the triangle and one turn Hector with Blazing thunder + Dire thunder's x2.

Klein with his Brave bow and 33 neutral speed is capable of quad hitting tanks and slow melee and hitting with Glacies (4 charge time) within one round.  This makes +Speed Klein rather terrifying and capable of killing a wide array of heroes in one round including Hector.

Edited by Katrisa

All other thing being equal, I tend to go for the quicker effect. And if I can, I choose quick and strong. For instance, Catria and Luna. Or Draug and Bonfire (inherited), boosted by Sheena's Fortify Armor.

That said, there are times when only a strong AoE can save the day. Hector would have spoilt many a deathless run were it not for Lilina's Growing Flame.