World's Most Disgusting Food? (Do Not Read if Easily Disgusted)

Randoman

Casu Marzu...  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider this the most disgusting food you know of?

2. 2. Would you eat it, if you had the opportunity to?

So while reading up on weird/disgusting foods one day out of curiosity, I happened to learn about this one food called casu marzu.

Long story short: It's essentially cheese from sheep's milk that's left out so flies can lay their eggs in it. Then they wait for maggots to hatch, eat, and soften the cheese, and then they eat it just like that, maggots and all (whether they kill the maggots or eat them live is up to the person eating it). Supposedly, some people prefer to wear eye protection while eating it since maggots can jump up to 15 centimeters and can make contact with your eyes. Also, if any maggots somehow survive past the stomach acids in your body, if they're alive when they're in your intestinal walls, they're capable of eating through it. 

So yeah, is this the world's most disgusting food or what? (we're talking strictly disgusting only, not deadly) If not, what food do you think deserves that title?

Also for those brave enough, what's the least amount of money you'd want to be paid to eat casu marzu? (the maggots being dead or not is up to you) 

oh hey I've seen this before, I think andrew zimmern had it on his show once

i was expecting it to be something weird that i'd never heard of

anyway for anyone who just wants to see gordon ramsay just skip 6 minutes in 

i have no actual thoughts on this I just like gordon ramsay

Edited by unique

On 3/25/2017 at 10:47 PM, Chen said:

BOY PISS EGGS

I'm a bit afraid to ask, but do you have any links about these eggs prepared in urine? Also, what name does it typically go by?

I'm quite surprised I haven't seen this food item on any most disgusting food lists I've read, especially since I've read up on quite a lot of lists.

There's a type of coffee made from the poop of some small rainforest mammal. To make it, you would feed the animal the seed pods of the plant coffee comes from, then it would poop out the coffee beans and you take the beans and brew them. There are actually farms that raise the animals for this purpose. I don't remember what animal it is, I'm thinking it's called a coati? Apparently its digestive fluids give the coffee its distinct flavor. And it's the world's most expensive coffee...

Also, pufferfish. You have to prepare it one certain way or else it will poison you. Seems just as risky as the maggot cheese.

A famous local tradition in Dongyang is the virgin boy egg (Chinese: 童子尿煮鸡蛋; pinyin: Tóngzǐ Niào Zhǔ Jīdàn[3]), an annual tradition in early spring time where the urine of prepubertal school boys preferably under 10 years is collected and boiled with eggs and then sold (for 1.50 yuan around twice the price of a regular boiled egg.[4]) and eaten, it is said "it tastes like spring".[5] In 2008, Dongyang recognized the eggs as "local intangible cultural heritage."[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongyang

23 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

There's a type of coffee made from the poop of some small rainforest mammal. To make it, you would feed the animal the seed pods of the plant coffee comes from, then it would poop out the coffee beans and you take the beans and brew them. There are actually farms that raise the animals for this purpose. I don't remember what animal it is, I'm thinking it's called a coati? Apparently its digestive fluids give the coffee its distinct flavor. And it's the world's most expensive coffee...

Also, pufferfish. You have to prepare it one certain way or else it will poison you. Seems just as risky as the maggot cheese.

I've heard about that coffee as well. Since the top 10 grossest food lists I've checked never directly mentioned it, do you know if they at least wash the beans to some degree before making it into coffee? Or do they just take it, poo and all, and turn it into coffee? 

21 hours ago, Chen said:

A famous local tradition in Dongyang is the virgin boy egg (Chinese: 童子尿煮鸡蛋; pinyin: Tóngzǐ Niào Zhǔ Jīdàn[3]), an annual tradition in early spring time where the urine of prepubertal school boys preferably under 10 years is collected and boiled with eggs and then sold (for 1.50 yuan around twice the price of a regular boiled egg.[4]) and eaten, it is said "it tastes like spring".[5] In 2008, Dongyang recognized the eggs as "local intangible cultural heritage."[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongyang

Uhhh... how exactly do they get that specific kind of urine... wait... maybe I don't want to know, actually...

I'd think they don't grind the poop, just take the beans out of it, but idk...

And as for the eggs, simple. Go to the schools and have the kids pee in cups, if young boys in China are anything like young boys here, I'm sure they don't mind...

That's pretty disgusting, but can I interest you in the swedish delicacy Surstromming?

Spoiler

rEFipan.jpg

It's a fish fermented for half a year and treated with just barely enough salt to keep from completely rotting.

On 3/25/2017 at 9:58 PM, claire said:

Anything with cooked onions is more disgusting

by the way, you 
you
have no appreciation for god's gift to mankind, the onion
and I would like to inform you I feel a sense of deep pity for you

2 hours ago, Pride said:

That's pretty disgusting, but can I interest you in the swedish delicacy Surstromming?

Reveal hidden contents

rEFipan.jpg

It's a fish fermented for half a year and treated with just barely enough salt to keep from completely rotting.

by the way, you 
you
have no appreciation for god's gift to mankind, the onion
and I would like to inform you I feel a sense of deep pity for you

I eat wild onions and entire onions raw but if u cook that shit until it resembles the body of a slimy insect and stinks up the entire house I REFUSE to eat it sorry !!!

4 hours ago, claire said:

I eat wild onions and entire onions raw but if u cook that shit until it resembles the body of a slimy insect and stinks up the entire house I REFUSE to eat it sorry !!!

see I respect you for eating onions raw, but that just makes it all the more disappointing that you dont appreciate the delicious flavor of some cooked onion 

im sure theres some horrifying experience in your past that explains it, so ill let you off easy since you seem mostly sane

On 3/28/2017 at 10:20 PM, Protagonist Softboy said:

the grossest food is people putting ranch dressing on pizza

You won the internet.

And I don't like onions, cooked or not cooked, but I'm a picky eater anyway. Case in point: I hate spaghetti because it reminds me of slimey worms.