StarCraft: Brood War Remastered

Wist

https://starcraft.com/

March 30 patch notes here. The base game will be free. This summer you'll be able to pay for a remastered graphics add-on (the original and remastered versions will be cross compatible).

I'm excited! Anyone else here happy for to an excuse to get back into Brood War?

MY CHILDHOOD!

Glad that StarCraft will finally be free!  Maybe my potato of a computer will be able to run it.

Happy doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now.

Edited by eclipse

FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS MY BROODWAR HAS LAID DORMANT. 

But It has awakened, thanks for the news, this is great. Maybe we could setup some fun matches and stuff.

40 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

I would be entirely okay with that. That would be both good and cool.

Someone needs to invite Haru to any tournament tbh

I'd have to get my micro/macro game back to speed for something like that haha.

Edited by Jedi

'oh yeah,' i say casually as i attack-move five control groups of marines roughly into the centre of the enemy base and figure it'll work itself out, 'micro'

'that's a thing that people'

'do'

'i guess'

Oh hey... I remember playing Brood War...

Although I'm more of a support-oriented player though whenever folks would do network play here back in my younger days. I just simply assist-assist-assist with long ranged attackers. *cough*Siege Tanks*cough*

Normal play though; I find it fun to use Protoss in Brood War; find a stray enemy worker and take it away with a Dark Archon... Hee hee hee hee!

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Oh hey... I remember playing Brood War...

Although I'm more of a support-oriented player though whenever folks would do network play here back in my younger days. I just simply assist-assist-assist with long ranged attackers. *cough*Siege Tanks*cough*

Normal play though; I find it fun to use Protoss in Brood War; find a stray enemy worker and take it away with a Dark Archon... Hee hee hee hee!

Ah yes the ye old, "I have 3 races you have 1"

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

MY CHILDHOOD!

I'm really happy to see Brood War fans here. I always sucked at this game. But I enjoyed the hell out of it for years. Made and played UMS maps and mods, backstabbed in 7v1 comp stomps because I'm terrible, got crushed on PGTour and iCCup, the works! Even played my father over LAN when I got to visit him.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Maybe we could setup some fun matches and stuff.

That's an excellent idea! I would absolutely be down for that; 1v1, 2v2, FFA, UMS, whatever!

4 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

This is incredibly good and cool. Guess they figured out the renaissance AoE2's gotten since its remaster.

How have I not heard about this?! Is it any good? What did they update?

2 hours ago, Wist said:

Made and played UMS maps and mods

@Wist I recall making maps before

and submitting them to Starcraft communites.

Sad to say, I can't find my creations anymore.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Ah yes the ye old, "I have 3 races you have 1"

@Jedi It's fun but evil at the same time... especially if you can stall enemies long enough then suddenly Reaver and Lurker-assisted Siege Tank attacks with Hydralisks and Guardians around! Add in some detectors and Medics just to cover up stealthy/cloaked units and disables respectively.

OMG, this game is my childhood along with pokémon and smash.

I remember every time my dad would open his computer and I would hear the song of the menu, I would always leave my toys and my bedroom to go pick up a chair and watch my father playing this game.

I'm going to buy this once I get the chance.

I still have the old box with the engraved protoss, oh the memories. As someone who was higly disappointed by Wings of Liberty's campaign (I still have to play the Zerg and Protoss bits, maybe when the battle chest's price is lowered) I look forward to replaying it all this summer.

8 hours ago, Wist said:

How have I not heard about this?! Is it any good? What did they update?

Oh man. Well, first up, it runs fine, at a proper resolution, the population cap's now a maximum of 500. I think they got the guys who did some fanmade expansion, Forgotten Empires, to... well, Forgotten Empires is a canon expansion now, and they've made two more (African Kingdoms and Rise of the Rajas) since. It's really great.

5 hours ago, Orson said:

I still have the old box with the engraved protoss, oh the memories. As someone who was higly disappointed by Wings of Liberty's campaign (I still have to play the Zerg and Protoss bits, maybe when the battle chest's price is lowered) I look forward to replaying it all this summer.

I still have my Dads old Discs, because he's who got me into the old Blizzard greats. Warcraft 2 (I adore WC3 though too), Starcraft/Broodwar and Diablo 1/2 will always be close to me.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Warcraft 2 (I adore WC3 though too)

Death coils, death coils everwhere... That was annoying...

Meanwhile, use Mages to BLIZZARD the fudge out of things.

Warcraft 2 doesn't run on this computer, sadly - that said, some Russian guys made an open-source multiplayer (and I think also Custom Games?) client for it for free, called War2Combat.

I would love it if Warcraft 2 was revived in some way, honestly. Maybe even if 1/2/3 were all remastered!

3 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

Warcraft 2 doesn't run on this computer, sadly - that said, some Russian guys made an open-source multiplayer (and I think also Custom Games?) client for it for free, called War2Combat.

I would love it if Warcraft 2 was revived in some way, honestly. Maybe even if 1/2/3 were all remastered!

I miss the boats in WC3, the naval warfare for oil in 2 was chaotic. Reminded me of Ancient Conquest, if you've ever played it.

Edited by Jedi

Warcraft 1-3 better get this treatment. I mean, Blizzard has basically told us that we'll never see a classic-style Warcraft ever again.

At least Starcraft is still Starcraft.

17 hours ago, Orson said:

Same here. I got WoL at launch but only played the campaign last year. Considering giving the expansions a shot though, maybe...

12 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

Oh man. Well, first up, it runs fine, at a proper resolution, the population cap's now a maximum of 500. I think they got the guys who did some fanmade expansion, Forgotten Empires, to... well, Forgotten Empires is a canon expansion now, and they've made two more (African Kingdoms and Rise of the Rajas) since. It's really great.

That sounds excellent. Think I might poke this at some point!

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Warcraft 1-3 better get this treatment. I mean, Blizzard has basically told us that we'll never see a classic-style Warcraft ever again.

At least Starcraft is still Starcraft.

What have they said/hinted? I never played WarCraft much, but it would be sad if they forever left classic WarCraft for dead.

10 hours ago, Wist said:

What have they said/hinted? I never played WarCraft much, but it would be sad if they forever left classic WarCraft for dead.

World of WarCraft is the biggest money maker in gaming. In the 13 years that it's been going, they've said that they don't have any intentions on going back to RTS WarCraft, and that StarCraft fits its niche. The next WarCraft product will likely be WoW2, which I'm sure Blizzard will keep working on for another 15 years.

As for the Warcraft RTS argument, Starcraft II has been getting more and more "hero characters" which was the main feature of Warcraft 3. Granted, there still are no heroes in competitive multiplayer (just Co-Op, and then only with certain commanders), but things look slim for the classic Warcraft RTS franchise, even if there is the Sci-Fi and Fantasy aesthetic differences. // A part of me missing the naval combat from War 2 (War 3 TFT did not do the navy justice) and I would like a story reset back to the ending of War3 instead of whatever they came up with for WoW. Alas, that is just wishful thinking...

Back to Starcraft: Brood War Remastered, I was never really a Starcraft guy. I ended up picking up the original Starcraft years after its original release and loved the campaigns, but it never drew me in as did the Warcraft series. Then again, I enjoy the more fantastical settings than science-fiction. so there is that.

Also, any word if existing Starcraft Anthology owners will get the remastered version for free (or at a discount) or will the remastered version need to be bought again?