To see ahead or to rewind?

Rewind or See Future  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Rewind or See Future

• Rewind time (keep as is)
    • See the future if your move is played (change)

With the new "Mila's Turnwheel" item, you are now able to rewind moves (to a limited extent). This has gotten a very mixed reaction. Would it be better if you could select the item first, do your action, and see what would happen if you did that action, rather than rewinding time? The description says that it can see into the future, and this could work like a vision in xenoblade. Thoughts?

Interestingly, the idea you postulated is something I had planned for a project of mine, and it was indeed inspired by Xenoblade haha.
The idea was one of the characters is the "Oracle of Death", and she can see when people will die, so you can use her turn to use this power and see if any player or ally units will die. Basically I figured it'd do something like run the odds of any unit who could kill someone and then if they did in this simulation, it'd show you that, and then lock in that RNG. So that means, if you used that ability and, say, an enemy would crit you with a RNG result of 10, if you brought that crit down to 9, they wouldn't crit, but if someone else attacked them with a crit risk of 10 or higher they'd be crit'd instead, and "use up" that RNG.

However such an ability is so wildly variable that I don't know how easy it would be to implement in the first place. The idea is quite daunting to me on the code level. Your idea could work far easier though, since it's a Chrono Anchor. Use it before an action and it's basically a 1-use savestate that expires if you do something else afterwards. I think it just makes more sense than the current unclear "Rewind time" ability, but I guess that means it can apply to Enemy Phase too, so... hm... Enemy Phase is really the hard thing to tackle here, you know?

33 minutes ago, Ritisa said:

Interestingly, the idea you postulated is something I had planned for a project of mine, and it was indeed inspired by Xenoblade haha.
The idea was one of the characters is the "Oracle of Death", and she can see when people will die, so you can use her turn to use this power and see if any player or ally units will die. Basically I figured it'd do something like run the odds of any unit who could kill someone and then if they did in this simulation, it'd show you that, and then lock in that RNG. So that means, if you used that ability and, say, an enemy would crit you with a RNG result of 10, if you brought that crit down to 9, they wouldn't crit, but if someone else attacked them with a crit risk of 10 or higher they'd be crit'd instead, and "use up" that RNG.

However such an ability is so wildly variable that I don't know how easy it would be to implement in the first place. The idea is quite daunting to me on the code level. Your idea could work far easier though, since it's a Chrono Anchor. Use it before an action and it's basically a 1-use savestate that expires if you do something else afterwards. I think it just makes more sense than the current unclear "Rewind time" ability, but I guess that means it can apply to Enemy Phase too, so... hm... Enemy Phase is really the hard thing to tackle here, you know?

You wouldn't need to necessarily lock the RNG if you saved what the RNG effects in that future. For example, if you moved silk and the enemy crits, you could save who moved, where they moved, and the action performed (maybe as a separate object) and then, if the next action is repeated in those three factors, set crit to 100%