2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Anacybele

My first NHL thread went dead and I don't feel like reviving it just to start talking about the playoffs, so here we are!

The playoffs are right around the corner, with the last regular season games being on April 9.

Here's what the brackets would look like if the playoffs started today.

Any fans of these teams, better hope this doesn't change! Though I kinda do, because Penguins fan here and I kinda don't want the Blue Jackets to be the first team my guys have to contend with... Last time I watched the Penguins play them, we got our asses whooped... Things could be different next time though, you never know!

My Pens clinched already, so I'm looking forward to watching them play more post-season hockey and try to keep LORD STANLEY IN DA BURGH. CAUSE WE GOT THE CUP LAST YEAR BABY!

Although, I'd love it if we faced the Capitals and gave them the boot again lol. I'll go visit my mom in DC again in a bunch of Pens gear just for fun hahahaha.

The thing that concerns me the most though, is the team's health. As of right now, I don't see us keeping the cup in the Burgh. Too many injuries in the second half of the season ugh. Kris Letang, Trevor Daley, Bryan Rust, Conor Sheary, Patric Hornqvist, all out at some point and some of them were out at the same time. I remember Carl Hagelin messing up his ankle a few weeks ago as well. I think Evgeni Malkin was out yesterday. We still don't have Daley and Letang back and they're our two best defensemen. Letang has been one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league even! The guys gotta get healthy and if they do, that cup may definitely not be going anywhere. We got two cup-winning goalies, a two-headed monster in Sidney Crosby and Malkin (hint: they're top 5 in goals right now, with Sid at no. 1), and lots of contributing young guys. This team could dominate for years to come like the 70s Steelers did! THESE GUYS ROCK.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, sorry. lol I was just trying to make a harmless joke. :P Pens fans hate the Caps, so they tease them all the time. I guess it kinda rubbed off on me.

22 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Eh, no harm no foul. I tease Penguins fans too, at least I would if I had any around. :P

I live in the Midwest, so it's hard being a Caps fan.

Anyway, if they meet, may the best team win.

I recently moved back to Pittsburgh after not having lived there since I was little (aside from half a year in 08. Kind of a long story), so I can watch all the Penguins games I want, but yes, may the best team win! I must say, though, I do like the Caps as a rival. The Pens facing them is like the Steelers facing the Ravens in the NFL. Almost always competitive and fun to watch! Just this season the Pens and Caps ended a game 8-7. That's a thrill right there!

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I recently moved back to Pittsburgh after not having lived there since I was little (aside from half a year in 08. Kind of a long story), so I can watch all the Penguins games I want, but yes, may the best team win! I must say, though, I do like the Caps as a rival. The Pens facing them is like the Steelers facing the Ravens in the NFL. Almost always competitive and fun to watch! Just this season the Pens and Caps ended a game 8-7. That's a thrill right there!

Better luck next season. :P Sorry, couldn't resist a little jab.

I admit the Pens are a worthy rival for the Caps, and I can't believe I'm saying this, they are good. And yes, their games are always thrilling, especially that one. And lucky you. I'm lucky if I get to watch a handful of Caps games, but I do have tickets to go see the last game of the regular season.

19 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Better luck next season. :P Sorry, couldn't resist a little jab.

I admit the Pens are a worthy rival for the Caps, and I can't believe I'm saying this, they are good. And yes, their games are always thrilling, especially that one. And lucky you. I'm lucky if I get to watch a handful of Caps games, but I do have tickets to go see the last game of the regular season.

lol no worries, I kinda deserve it after what I put in the OP. XD

And I know, right? We did just win the cup last year after all, heh heh heh! The Caps are good too, though, one of the most physical teams I've watched lately. But I've been waiting a while to watch Pens games, as I couldn't watch ANY where I lived before because we'd have had to pay extra for it. So yeah, glad we moved back.

Edited by Anacybele

23 hours ago, Anacybele said:

lol no worries, I kinda deserve it after what I put in the OP. XD

And I know, right? We did just win the cup last year after all, heh heh heh! The Caps are good too, though, one of the most physical teams I've watched lately. But I've been waiting a while to watch Pens games, as I couldn't watch ANY where I lived before because we'd have had to pay extra for it. So yeah, glad we moved back.

Just after I'd blocked such a personal tragedy from my mind. XD

I'm in the same boat, of course, I never lived anywhere near Washington. So, I'm happy for you, even if I am required to diss your team. lol

Speaking of which, I saw the final score against the Flyers. I'd like to say I'm sorry for that blowout...but I'm not. XD

9 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Just after I'd blocked such a personal tragedy from my mind. XD

I'm in the same boat, of course, I never lived anywhere near Washington. So, I'm happy for you, even if I am required to diss your team. lol

Speaking of which, I saw the final score against the Flyers. I'd like to say I'm sorry for that blowout...but I'm not. XD

Things would've been way different if our team wasn't injured like hell though. We lost two more players in that game! ._. Sheary and some other dude went down.

Now we're without around 8 regular players, including the two best defensemen, Malkin, Maatta, Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Hagelin, and I can't remember who else, but I know there were more. You can only do so much when your guys keep getting hurt, meaning lines have to keep changing and keep trying to find more chemistry. Constantly changing lines don't have as much chemistry as guys who played regularly together beforehand. Team got slowed down and stuff as a result.

This is worse than the Steelers' injuries two years ago. I feel like there's a problem somewhere.

But seriously, at full health, we eat the Flyers for breakfast, man.

Edited by Anacybele

I know, next thing we know, Crosby will break an arm or something... Except for Guentzel, who was added just this year, all the names I've mentioned were players who were on that cup winning team. All that's left now are...Phil Kessel and Crosby I think? Oh yeah, Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen too. But that's it, not counting the goalies.

Edited by Anacybele

As a Québécois from Montreal, I've been brainwashed since birth to be a Canadiens fan. Go! Habs! Go!

Now that we have Claude Julien behind the bench, and Carey Price being Carey Price, I feel this team might cause a surprise (at least I hope so).

Sorry for the double post, but I don't want this thread to die like the last one did. Pens finally broke their losing streak, YAY. And mainly because they finally got a few guys back from injury (namely Guentzel, Hainsey, and Rust. Sheary also didn't need to miss a game after exiting the one before). The goals were scored mostly by those returned players!

Also, holy shit Sidney Crosby's goal off Lunqvist's head. LOL Only Sid would do that cause he's Sid! And now he and Mario Lemieux have the most points all time.

The best part about that? They're both Penguins. :awesome:

Edited by Anacybele

Oh wow, really? So both the Blue Jackets and the Caps lost. They were the only two teams ahead of us in the division, so I can't be disappointed about that, I'm afraid. :P Still, blowouts suck, yeah...

And although we got a few guys back from injury, we also lost another player to injury, ugh... Kunitz was good too. :( I just hope we get Malkin, Letang, and Daley back now, because our defense still needs some help and Malkin and Sid are the two-headed monster, of course.

Well, here's some good news for you. My Pens could kinda use your Caps' help right now, because if they beat the Blue Jackets and the Pens win today, we slide into second for the division, and then it's just us for the title!

Well, I sure got surprised in that Blue Jackets game. I was for sure we were toast.

Now this is kind of funny. Tonight, my Caps face the Leafs. Well, on Sunday, in my NHL 17, my pro got drafted by the Leafs, and that game had me against the Caps. I blew them out, so I'm hoping it doesn't prove to be an omen. XD

Edited by TheFreelancerSeal

Oh geez, that would be a terrible omen. xP

It's the Pens' turn to face the Blue Jackets this time, and it'll be a test for them. We'll see how well this still-injured Penguins team can hold up against a real playoff team and their likely first round opponent. At the very least, they'll get a taste of what's to come. But they have to play their hardest. The BJs are the division leaders right now and their goalie leads in all goaltending categories except one, in which he's second instead of first. xP

I know, I was surprised to see the Leafs there after people in last season's thread said they sucked. :P

On another note, my Pens not only beat the Blue Jackets, they smoked them! If this is really a preview of the first playoff round, the Pens got this, injuries or not! Still, the BJs, what a dirty ass team. They forced three of our guys off the ice from all the big hits they were making. It's lucky that two of them later came back.

And a bit of unfortunate news, we won't be getting Letang back until next season. He needs surgery now and recovery will be a few months. :( That hurts since he's one of the best defensemen around.

Well, my Caps sure surprised me, and I hate to say that about my favorite team, but back-to-backs aren't all that good to them. Plus, the Rangers are a tough team to beat, so I was sure they'd lose tonight (call it pre-emptive disappointment). But anyway, it's looking good. Still, their reputation precedes them.

ARGH. We get Trevor Daley back today at last, but then Chad Ruhwedel gets banged up and has to leave. We'll never be completely healthy... For every guy we get back, we lose someone else. :(

Even though I'm a Habs fan, I, for one, am happy to see that the Blue Jackets finally have a good team. I've always had a soft spot for them (maybe it was pity), and they are easily my second-favourite playoff team.