2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Anacybele

55 minutes ago, Heptade said:

Habs lost. The game was close and could've gone either way. Not giving up hope yet.

I had been told the Rangers had great offense and crap defense... Honestly, from what I saw yesterday, it seemed exactly the opposite.

They were #4 in offence and #12 in defence, which isn't exactly crap... and they still have an outstanding goalie. That should certainly be a fun series.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

They were #4 in offence and #12 in defence, which isn't exactly crap... and they still have an outstanding goalie. That should certainly be a fun series.

I know their D was never crap, but the things Rangers' fans said about Girardi and Staal might have made me overconfident as a Habs fan. They Rangers really played well defensively. On the other hand, their offense didn't wow me at all, as it was barely (if any) better than the Habs', and Habs offense sucking has almost reached legendary status by now (not entirely deserved, but not exactly undeserved, either).

Okay.

Game 2 of this Pens vs BJs round officially has the most fighting and pushing and shoving of any hockey game I've ever seen. The Pens aren't exactly real physical in general, so I can only assume the BJs can't keep their lids on their tempers (probably because they're still young and as a result, possibly immature). It's rather amusing though lol, one BJ looked like he was trying to pull Ian Cole's jersey right off him. XD

EDIT: Wow, what a big doofus that one BJ was, checking Kuhnackl in the face and then shoving him to the ice. He needs a suspension for that BS. But HOT DAMN, THE BJS GET SCHOOLED AGAIN!! THEY DON'T STAND A CHANCE IN THIS SERIES, HAHAHAHA! Pens pressured them to fucking hell and Fleury was Super Fleury the whole game. Add in several breakaways and this game could've been 8 or 9-1 if not for Bobrovsky.

Edited by Anacybele

Rangers/Canadiens seems like a really exciting series so far.

I didn't get a chance to watch the Wild/Blues, but I feel vindicated about the Blues winning again. For some reason a lot of the bookmakers are really high on the Wild, some giving them as good a chance to win the Cup as the Penguins and I just... can't see it. I really can't remember any time that a team playing so poorly in the last couple months did serious damage in the playoffs. I even like 'em well enough and since I'm obligated to cheer against Patrick Kane, I would love to see bigger threats emerge in the Central, but yeah, I'm not surprised by that series so far. Obviously it's not over and the Wild could turn it around, but they'll need to do that soon.

(This is also why I expected Pittsburgh to deal with Columbus without much issue.)

19 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

(This is also why I expected Pittsburgh to deal with Columbus without much issue.)

This seems to be the only totally lopsided series right now too. lol! Pens crushed them both games so far and the other series have close games or are tied up, hahaha. Can anyone stop this Pens team? It doesn't look like it right now! They're SO good! <3 And they're still going to be without Letang at the very least the rest of the way.

Also, Calvert did get suspended for his bullshit against Kuhnackl, yay. I think it should've been 2-3 games, not just one game, but a suspension is a suspension and it's better than him getting nothing.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

This seems to be the only totally lopsided series right now too.

Well Chicago hasn't even scored a goal yet so I don't think you can say that!

(This makes me unreasonably happy, though no way am I counting my chickens yet.)

7 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Well Chicago hasn't even scored a goal yet so I don't think you can say that!

(This makes me unreasonably happy, though no way am I counting my chickens yet.)

Okay, the Predators now winning 5-0 is definitely a lopsided game. lol But I think the first game there ended 1-0 which is still close. :P

PENS WIN IT IN OT!! The rookie Guentzel with the hat trick too! I don't think you see many rookies getting hat tricks! Fleury saved our asses a couple times back there too. FLOWER POWER!

But man, even when the BJs actually managed to knock us down a bit, we get right back up and beat 'em! 3-0 IN THE SERIES!

No more first periods like that though, that was just a complete mess. Good they cleaned it up, but we don't need that again.

Edited by Anacybele

Habs won again yesterday. They played well and dominated most of the game. Nowhere near as exciting as game 2, though.

I'd be pissed if I were a Rangers fan. To have such a fine team and to give such a pitiful performance at home is simply unacceptable. Lundqvist and, to a lesser extent, Zuccarello, were the only players who looked like they cared. 

Hoping for more tight, exciting games (as long as we ultimately win the series :P:).

The Leafs took the series lead over the Caps? :o Interesting! I didn't think that'd happen since I wasn't sure the Leafs could compete with those guys. But they're surprising me. And as appealing as knocking the Caps out two years in a row sounds, I wouldn't mind my Pens facing the Leafs in round 2 instead either. :P We should advance even if today's game ends up being a loss. We're just too good!

If nobody can slow my Pens down, that cup ain't goin' nowhere! PENGUINS RULE THE ICE AFTER ALL! :D

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

The Leafs took the series lead over the Caps? :o Interesting! I didn't think that'd happen since I wasn't sure the Leafs could compete with those guys. But they're surprising me. And as appealing as knocking the Caps out two years in a row sounds, I wouldn't mind my Pens facing the Leafs in round 2 instead either. :P We should advance even if today's game ends up being a loss. We're just too good!

If nobody can slow my Pens down, that cup ain't goin' nowhere! PENGUINS RULE THE ICE AFTER ALL! :D

Wait till you face Price in Round 3.

And the Pens losing yesterday means nothing! I say they just wanted to sell more tickets and win the series at home. :P (even though I think the former is just greedy...) The BJs still got nothing on us! And playoff series sweeps are pretty rare regardless.

I would've loved a sweep tho, yes I would've. And I'm glad fans aren't just blindly blaming Fleury or anything. He did his damndest, I would say, his defense just let him down a few times and the Jackets got lucky with a goal or two (one went in because it bounced off of Crosby's skate, come on! Nobody would've seen that coming. And then a bogus penalty led to another BJ goal). Also, you still gotta love Fleury for the head save in game 3 LOL. He literally used his head to doink a puck away. XD

That said, the Pens need to get the job done today. PLEASE. I still hate the BJs and am sick of their dirtiness.

Edited by Anacybele

God damn, the BJs NEVER QUIT WITH THE DIRTY BULLSHIT. First a random cross-check on Malkin (goes uncalled), Fleury gets bowled over hard for no reason (that did get called), then seconds later on the powerplay that resulted, Hornqvist is shoved into the goal post for no reason and he was really slow to get up (somehow this wasn't called).

I'm SO glad my Pens are making the Jackets pay for all that! And that nobody is seriously hurt. Hockey gods are smiling on us.

Edited by Anacybele

That is crazy.

And so is Fleury having made almost FIFTY SAVES yesterday! He set a record doing that! But we also don't want him facing so many shots. The guys around him need to be a little better. On to round 2 for us too, though, WOOT.

Also, glad Flower is okay after that hit he took. Crosby also took a hit to the head in game 4, forgot to mention. It's a miracle everybody's okay after how much the BJs have been knocking them around. So glad this series is done.

Nicest thing though? We get to sit back and relax while the Caps and Leafs are still duking it out since they're all tied up. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Happy for the Preds. Glad to see P.K. Subban is having success there. Wish he was still a Hab! One of my all-time favourite players.

Habs/Rangers series is as tight as it gets. Doesn't feel like first round at all. Congrats (and thanks) Rangers for playing better than you did during game 3: even as a Hab fan, this makes things more exciting. I feel both our teams deserved to get at least to Division finals, but, oh well...

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That is crazy.

And so is Fleury having made almost FIFTY SAVES yesterday! He set a record doing that! But we also don't want him facing so many shots. The guys around him need to be a little better. On to round 2 for us too, though, WOOT.

Also, glad Flower is okay after that hit he took. Crosby also took a hit to the head in game 4, forgot to mention. It's a miracle everybody's okay after how much the BJs have been knocking them around. So glad this series is done.

Nicest thing though? We get to sit back and relax while the Caps and Leafs are still duking it out since they're all tied up. lol

I cried when I saw that last score...j/k :P

Well, prepare for some more knocking around when the Caps meet your Pens in the second round. This time, we are going to kick those black and gold butts.

Now, I just need to convince myself of that. :P

Is it just me, or do the Leafs seem to be playing a little dirty themselves, like Anderson holding onto Backstrom like that or the checking even when one of the Caps falls to the ice like in game 3?

On 4/21/2017 at 2:01 PM, TheFreelancerSeal said:

I cried when I saw that last score...j/k :P

Well, prepare for some more knocking around when the Caps meet your Pens in the second round. This time, we are going to kick those black and gold butts.

Now, I just need to convince myself of that. :P

Is it just me, or do the Leafs seem to be playing a little dirty themselves, like Anderson holding onto Backstrom like that or the checking even when one of the Caps falls to the ice like in game 3?

You have to get past the Leafs first, yo. Don't get ahead of yourself. :P

Pff, it can't be as bad as how much the Jackets have knocked us around. They sent multiple Pens off the ice for a while in three of those five games. Rust, Wilson, Bonino, Guentzel, Crosby, Kuhnackl, Malkin, Fleury, and Hornqvist all took huge shots, and most of these guys had to leave the ice for awhile. Bonino still has a big scrape on his face from that puck hitting him, and one BJ was actually suspended for the random hit to Kuhnackl.

The only BJ casualty? A guy that also took a puck to the face and was knocked out of the rest of the playoffs because it actually BROKE his face, bruised his eye up, and forced it closed. Bonino was lucky in this sense, but that doesn't really make up for everybody else on our team that took potentially threatening hits.

Edited by Anacybele