2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Anacybele

I woke up a few people with a mighty warcry and battle dance when Kuraly scored that second goal. Not expecting the Bruins to win the series (I picked Sens in 7) but thank god we didn't just drop four in a row like Chicago. These games have all been close. One more win isn't too much to ask for, right?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here we go again. Pens vs Caps in round 2 just like last year. :P

Will the outcome be the same though? That's all I worry about, because the Caps will be out for blood after my Pens booted them before. Pens need to be prepared and ready, despite two big differences in Fleury and Guentzel (they weren't a part of this last year).

Whatever the case, one of us will be left disappointed, TheFreeLancerSeal. May the best team win!

Of course the Bruins lose again in OT following a dumb penalty. Sens looked the better team all series long, but god damn. Too many bad penalties, too weak on the PK, bad puck control in general. Despite all that, we still managed to keep Ottawa on edge. Decent experience for most of the kids and still an improvement over the Julien playbook (tough luck Habs). Feels like we're getting our identity back after the last few years and the pieces are visibly falling into place, so the bar's been raised for next year. Second round bare minimum for sure. I still have to eat my annual end of season cookie dough ice cream.

Anyway, grats Sens fans (if any). I've always liked your team and I still will after Summer cleanses my heart of hockey failure. Pettiness still mandates that I root against you though, also you're playing the only other team I'm willing to bandwagon. May your poops be frequent and uncomfortable, ya sons a bitches.

Wait wait wait we're not there yet! :P I'd love for us to be, but we have to actually beat the Caps four times first. I don't like to consider anything a given.

Especially after that year the Pens won the first three games in a playoff series and then proceeded to lose the next four. Most wtf crap ever...

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, Anacybele said:

Whatever the case, one of us will be left disappointed, TheFreeLancerSeal. May the best team win!

Well, better luck next season. :P

Actually, believe it or not, I'm more than a little nervous. They thought the Caps would win last season - didn't happen. They're predicting the Caps will win this time too. But maybe this Leafs series will help give them the tools to beat a speedy team, like the Pens.

Too bad I won't get to see the game, but gotta earn a living.

1 minute ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Well, better luck next season. :P

Actually, believe it or not, I'm more than a little nervous. They thought the Caps would win last season - didn't happen. They're predicting the Caps will win this time too. But maybe this Leafs series will help give them the tools to beat a speedy team, like the Pens.

Too bad I won't get to see the game, but gotta earn a living.

I'm surprised anyone predicts the Caps to win when apparently they've choked in the playoffs a lot lately. One Pens fan even made a pretty hilarious joke about Alex Ovechkin because of going out in round 2. :P It went "Ovechkin goes into a bar and asks for a beer. He finishes it, and then asks for another. After he finishes that one, the bartender asks if he wants a third, but Ovi replies "no, I always leave after two rounds."" I cracked up, of course. XD

But I will admit I'm nervous too. Just because one thing happened last year doesn't mean it'll happen again. I just hope for a good series by my Pens and that they don't completely choke or anything themselves.

I'm sorry to double post, and I'm also sorry to TheFreeLancerSeal, but DUDE THIS WAS INSANE. :P

https://www.facebook.com/penguins/videos/10155967195378765/

Fleury totally OWNED THE CAPS HERE OMG. Crosby also owned them by scoring twice! And Bonino broke away to make the game winner, man this was an exciting game! I thought we were about to lose, but I didn't care, the Caps made this a lot more fun to watch than the dumb Blue Jackets. What a matchup these two teams are!

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm sorry to double post, and I'm also sorry to TheFreeLancerSeal, but DUDE THIS WAS INSANE. :P

https://www.facebook.com/penguins/videos/10155967195378765/

Fleury totally OWNED THE CAPS HERE OMG. Crosby also owned them by scoring twice! And Bonino broke away to make the game winner, man this was an exciting game! I thought we were about to lose, but I didn't care, the Caps made this a lot more fun to watch than the dumb Blue Jackets. What a matchup these two teams are!

Don't be too sorry. I'd probably be bragging it up too if it was the other way around.

I just hope we can come back and kick your butts on Saturday...and for the rest of this series too.

1 minute ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Don't be too sorry. I'd probably be bragging it up too if it was the other way around.

I just hope we can come back and kick your butts on Saturday...and for the rest of this series too.

Heh, we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow. :P My stepdad's birthday is also tomorrow though, so of course I'm gonna really hope the Pens win again as a neat present for him.

Edited by Anacybele

...Oh boy. Wow. I honestly thought we were going to be in trouble after that first period. But now I see a pattern with the Pens. They have a lot of slow first periods, and then just run away with things in the second and third. And their knack for scoring more goals on fewer shots continues.

I'm sorry, TheFreeLancerSeal, that had to be brutal to see. xP

I don't think the Caps made the right decision to change goalies though. It didn't help them much and the real problem was not getting anything past our man Fleury despite throwing so much at him.

The Pens' only real weakness has been their slow starts. The Jackets found it in one game by going up on us fast and early, and it cost us later despite a good attempt at a comeback. I wonder if the Caps noticed that today. But winning two away games already is BIG for us!

GO PENS!!

Also, Jake Guentzel, holy crap this kid rocks. He's a rookie and leads the league in goals in the playoffs so far with SEVEN after putting up two more today!

UGH. I'm sorry, TheFreeLancerSeal, but I can't ever care about your Caps anymore. THEY HURT CROSBY. ;_; And pretty bad, it looks like. (I saw that they weren't responsible for Sheary being hurt too though, that was dumb shit from his own teammate).

No, because I'm still trying to figure out how this Penguins team could win without Crosby and Sheary but then lose WITH Crosby and Sheary. Crosby is like the best player right now and Sheary is one of the reasons this team is fast.

I get that a bunch of away wins are tough in the playoffs, but when you're up 2-1 in the THIRD period and you're a team that's known for not letting leads slip away so late, there's really no excuse to go losing.

All I can honestly think of is that the boys want to win this series at home. If they do win, well, I'll take it. A win's a win after all.

But sorry again to FreeLancerSeal, but I laughed when Pens fans literally booed every time Niskanen had the puck...LOL (Niskanen was the one that bashed Crosby's head) You don't mess with Pittsburgh fans, they love their teams a lot. :P

Edited by Anacybele

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But sorry again to FreeLancerSeal, but I laughed when Pens fans literally booed every time Niskanen had the puck...LOL (Niskanen was the one that bashed Crosby's head) You don't mess with Pittsburgh fans, they love their teams a lot. :P

Just remember, if your team isn't booed in Pittsburgh, you're doing it wrong. Also, Preds cleared Round 2 and will face either the Ducks or Oilers. The Ducks swept in Round 1 like we did, so if they win against Edmonton, Nashville is in for one hell of a shitshow.

4 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Just remember, if your team isn't booed in Pittsburgh, you're doing it wrong.

But they only booed one player, not the whole team. :P

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But they only booed one player, not the whole team. :P

I mistook Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, lol. Speaking of which, do the Penguins get booed when they play the Flyers? I'm sure the Steelers do when they play the Eagles.

12 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I mistook Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, lol. Speaking of which, do the Penguins get booed when they play the Flyers? I'm sure the Steelers do when they play the Eagles.

I dunno, not that I remember for either case. The Eagles are only the in-state rival for the Steelers anyway, otherwise they're not even in the same conference, let alone division, I believe.

Pens play a little later today and they need to get the job done this time. Let's kick the Caps out two years in a row! We own Braden Holtby too and can keep owning him!

Holtby's playoff record vs all non-Penguin teams in the playoffs is 24-22.

But vs the Pens? 3-6. Hahaha.

Edited by Anacybele

7 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Just remember, if your team isn't booed in Pittsburgh, you're doing it wrong. Also, Preds cleared Round 2 and will face either the Ducks or Oilers. The Ducks swept in Round 1 like we did, so if they win against Edmonton, Nashville is in for one hell of a shitshow.

We'll see. It'll be an interesting game 7, to say the least. 

Spoiler

Game 6 was insane. 7-1 for Oilers, and about 10k hats on the rink.

Yeah, I'mma cheer Oilers, for two reasons:

A.) They're the team closest to me that are in the playoffs. The Canucks are closer, and the Flames, but eh...

B.) I'm childhood friends with Nugent-Hopkins cousins, believe it or not. Our moms are good friends too. 

...Wow, how fucking embarrassing is this game. This isn't the real Penguins team at all. I guess they don't feel like playing anymore. Screw this team, I don't need the stress when I've already been in pain and miserable for the last three days (ear trouble).

I know I said "may the best team win" but I never meant that I'd accept this team suddenly playing like shit nor could I have never known that I'd end up with what's probably an ear infection.

Edited by Anacybele

My heart goes out to anyone and everyone suffering from ear pain. The honking of a 3-1 series lead I typically reserve for not-defending-champs, however.

19 minutes ago, a bear said:

My heart goes out to anyone and everyone suffering from ear pain. The honking of a 3-1 series lead I typically reserve for not-defending-champs, however.

Even if Nashville wins, I don't see them defending the cup in the 2017-18 season. Them winning the cup by being so young is a feat in and of itself. How is this relevant? They had a funk during their 3-1 series lead, but still won game 6. Had they lost game 6, I might've been in Ana's position.