2017 NHL Playoffs Discussion

Anacybele

I'm sorry to say I can't like the Blue Jackets after they tried to bang my team up so much.

That said, HOME ICE FOR THE PLAYOFFS BABY. Despite all the injuries, we remained the highest scoring team in the league. Malkin is about to return too. Watch out, BJs. Be very afraid.

Also, thankfully, Ruhwedel returned to the game yesterday and is alright. That was a big relief.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, the Pens are resting a bunch of guys. ...Not including Crosby for whatever reason. Honestly, if he were to get hurt now, that's the biggest blow we could take. You don't want to lose the best player at the playoffs!

Not doing all that bad against the Leafs regardless though. I have to admit Fleury is keeping us in the game, but still, our side scored first. :P Phil Kessel scoring against his old team though, lol. Any player scoring against his old team is awesome. XD

Well, just got back from the last Caps game yesterday. I would have liked to stay for the first game of the series, but not enough PTO.

No offense, but I hope the Pens get booted in the first series. Well, what can I say? They beat my Caps last year, and I'd like for them to have a sporting chance.

Heh, well no offense, but I hope we both get past round one so my Pens can boot you guys again in some deja vu. :P

Though you got the better matchup, I have to admit. The Leafs? lol newbie playoff team.

Edited by Anacybele

31 minutes ago, a bear said:

Caps/Leafs is gonna be excellent with all the Leafs meltdowns. Shame on the Pens for losing on Saturday.

Dude, the Pens rested half their team. xP And even then they still put up a fight in both of their final regular season games.

Well, if you're a Pens fan, thumbs up anyway. :P

They start round one tomorrow, right before the Nintendo Direct! LET'S REPEAT!! I want to say they're the 70s Steelers reincarnated as hockey players. XD

Also, I've yet to see one of my favorite sports teams become repeat champs. The Pens technically did it in my lifetime, but I was a baby in 91 and 92. :P

Edited by Anacybele

long time leafs fan here

If the Leafs hadn't got banged up in their last couple games I think they could have surprised people against the caps.  Not a series win or anything but taken them to 6 or 7.  With their goalie (fuck Sestito) and half of their already suspect defence core banged up I don't think it'll be pretty.  Holtby was a tire fire against the Leafs in the regular season, though, got pulled twice against us, so you never know.  Leafs have nothing to lose and the Caps have all the pressure on them.

As for favourites, my picks are Montreal on the East and either Edmonton or Chicago in the west.  Pittsbourgh is gonna miss Letang a lot, Washington never pulls through in the playoffs and none of the other teams are very good other than Columbus who's playing Pittsbourgh round 1.  Chicago's a safe pick in the west, but Mcdavid is unreal and Talbot's been fantastic in net this year.

Edited by General Horace

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

What do you mean by crack the secret? :P

Well, the Pens, much as I hate to admit it, are really quick, and I've noticed that speedy teams tend to be tough for the Caps to beat. But I'm betting this year, they'll know how to answer it, besides hitting, although that's a pretty good answer.

For the first series, I'm going to avoid playing NHL 17, just because my pro is on the Leafs. Moments before zero hour, it doesn't pay to take chances.

6 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Well, the Pens, much as I hate to admit it, are really quick, and I've noticed that speedy teams tend to be tough for the Caps to beat. But I'm betting this year, they'll know how to answer it, besides hitting, although that's a pretty good answer.

I don't know, hitting our guys half to death didn't work for the Blue Jackets. :P The Pens still creamed 'em!

But yes, speed, skill, and Sidney Crosby tricks are what they do! Sid just got himself a trophy for being the leading goal scorer too. :D

Edited by Anacybele

With Letang injured, I have a hard time seeing the Penguins getting very far, but they could very well surprise me.

Still, I'd like a Habs-Jackets ECF, since those two are my favourite teams.

8 minutes ago, Heptade said:

With Letang injured, I have a hard time seeing the Penguins getting very far, but they could very well surprise me.

Still, I'd like a Habs-Jackets ECF, since those two are my favourite teams.

Letang being out does hurt, but the team already proved that they can beat the BJs without him. lol Plus, we won the cup without Trevor Daley, our other top defenseman (he was injured right before the cup final. Poor guy, he had to be upset that he couldn't play in that big round). Though against the Caps, this remains to be seen. I want to say Tanger was out one or two of the games in that round last year too though. I think he was suspended or something.

One thing I'm glad of, our team has serious depth. Yeah, they didn't win those last two regular season games, but they still put up a good fight in them. And they remained the highest scoring team at 3.2 goals a game despite all the injuries!

Oh yeah, we're getting Malkin back too! The two-headed monster is finally BACK! (Sid and Malkin!)

Edited by Anacybele

I can always hope for a few relapses. :P

Ok, that was in poor taste. Seriously, I wouldn't wish anyone gets hurt, even Penguins. But I think the Caps have some good depth this season too. Sure, we've got our top line with Ovi/Backstrom/Oshie, but the other lines can produce just as well. Matter of fact they have. So, I'd say this is an entirely different team than the one that your Pens beat last year. Of course, I'm going to say that anyway.

I was gonna say, that's kind of mean. :P

Well, our lines are so good that they get nicknames! lol Sid's line, which is the first line, is Sid & the Kids because it's made up of Sid and two youngsters named Guentzel and Sheary. XD Once Carl Hagelin returns, and there's a good chance he will during round 1, the famous HBK Line (the third line) that was a big factor last season will be all together again! That was Hagelin, Bonino, and Kessel. HBK. They got a sandwich named after them in a Pittsburgh restaurant too!

Our fourth line has been dangerous as well (I can't quite remember who's on that one though, I just know old guy Matt Cullen is one of them) and I can see them getting some kind of name too. XD

Our second line hasn't been as notable, but that's probably due to a lack of Malkin. Geno is most often on that one.

Like I said, I don't wish harm on anyone. Oh, I wish for bad luck, but only during the games and only as far as scoring is concerned. If one of the Penguins had to be carried off, like Orpik in that Flyers series, of course, I'd be concerned.

Ah, yes, the HBK line. I know it well. Well, I'm still betting the Caps will be able to break down those lines this time. I tend to think Shattenkirk will be a big part of our push for the Cup. He's done a lot for them already, and he's so dynamic. Yeah, it's not just one player, but with him in the lineup, I think the Caps have some more push to meet your shove.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:18 PM, Anacybele said:

Well, if you're a Pens fan, thumbs up anyway. :P

Mrs. Bear is from 30 minutes west of Pittsburgh, that's about as close to being a Pens fan as I get. Go Jackets Go (incoming Pens sweep)

Super surprised by the Bruins tonight. Like half of the roster has never played in the postseason, McAvoy has never played in the NHL at all, no Krejci, no Krug, no Carlo, Colin Miller takes a knee (came back though), and no shots in the 2nd at all. Thank Tuukka for Tuukka. Huge confidence boost for these kids.

Also props to Lundqvist for the Habs shutout. Perfect teeth, nice smell, class act all the way.

Ha, sorry, but the BJs kids don't hold a candle to us! We smoked 'em again! Especially in the second period, holy shit. And we're still not 100% since no Carl Hagelin and no Chad Ruhwedel and no Kris Letang. LET'S GO PENS.

Jackets are so dirty it's ridiculous though. We're lucky the guys they sent off the ice came back yet again. They keep hitting so hard. I'm just glad that it seems that no matter how much and how hard they hit our guys, they just get right back up and put pucks in the net!

Edited by Anacybele

The Predators are playing Chicago tonight at United Center. I hope we qualify this year. We definitely tried our best when we did make it, but we lost to San Jose once and Chicago the other time. We don't even have to win the Stanley Cup, I just want Nashville to be more recognized for things other than poor taste in Music (although we are hosting a Barclay's game some time in July).

Habs lost. The game was close and could've gone either way. Not giving up hope yet.

I had been told the Rangers had great offense and crap defense... Honestly, from what I saw yesterday, it seemed exactly the opposite.

Well, if the Caps and Rangers win their series and the Pens win ours, then nearly every team left on the eastern side will be teams we eliminated last year (kicked the Rangers out in round 1, the Caps in round 2). :awesome: Let's do it again if we need to, Pens!