SMT: Strange Journey Redux

Jedi

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeowch! Jimenez got uglier. You can do better Atlus! Do better! 

Masayuki Doi, just can't emulate the old style at all, or like proper facial details, while he did ok for the art in 4, it just doesn't work in something like SJ.

I dread how much younger Gore is going to look.

Strange Journey is great and people crying over "muh Arid Between-The-Cheeks" (as in, Eridanus) simply means that this isn't the game for them.

Smug Jimenez is hilarious and it suits him perfectly.

Here's hoping that Amon ends up better than Dagda.

Please let Alex actually come across as a threatening, looming presence over Spess Mehreen's head.

A vastly expanded roster of demons is great.

Also, please use updated demon designs. Using the art for Record Scratch's demonized self as a new design for the Demiurge would be incredible. Or, well...other than things like the humanoid Quetzalcoatl and Lucifer. Monstrous designs are always better than "le funky humanoid with a few bits and bobs" designs (unless you make the humanoid look sufficiently alien, like Apocalypse's Odin or Vishnuflynn and NOT like any of the current Demiurges). And I wouldn't mind either of Shesha's designs being reused for Ananta either (though, finding a way to have both designs appear as part of the roster would be even better). Oh, and Vishnuflynn as Vishnu. That design was damn good too.

Arthur is based and so is Irving.

Please don't lower the combat difficulty. If you feel that certain things were cheap and want to redesign them then instead of simply removing the cheapness and having it end up easier than before you should replace it with enough actual difficulty to at least come close to the previous level of difficulty.

The part about Memestema simply wanting a promotion is garbage and he deserves to be a better antagonist than that.

Mary is nice and all but can you please actually use Sophia again, Atlus? Also, here's hoping you can make a team of the Demiurge, Mary and Messiah in this game. Yes, I want Messiah as an obtainable demon. Messiah is cool.

Please feature at least the Gruesome Quartet of Michael, Gabriel, Uriel and Raphael as bonus bosses similar to the Fiends. And their eldritch designs are damn great. This is how angels ought to look like. Monstrous designs trump humanoid ones. Though, I'm assuming that having Merkabah and Satan as well as Louisa in her true form appearing as bonus bosses might be a bit much.

I know that this is probably a bit much but can all of the Goetia's 72 finally start appearing as a fixed feature of future games' rosters, with all of them having designs/redesigns as good as Amon's? This mine of demons has been right there since the franchise first came into being, after all.

The science fiction atmosphere of Strange Journey is fantastic and deserves to stay intact.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

ERIDANUS

EEEEERRRIIIIII DDDAAAAA NUS

ERIDANUS ERIDAAAAAAAAANUS

ERIDANUS ERIIIIDANUS

FUCK ME IN D ANUS

Fuck im still having trauma with that dungeon. Like i've done the entirety of EOU since then and nothing is quite as ridiculous as Eridanus. This is probably the most memorable game for me during high school between Eridanus, and the disturbing as fuck dialogue of Bootes

Anyway really interested what they would do with the password system. Obviously if this is like other SMT, it will have on your choice skill inheritance system and that actually make and break Strange Journey really hard.

Edited by JSND

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/05/shin-megami-tensei-deep-strange-journey-shows-new-character-alex-new-demon-amon/

The more images I see the more I think this new artstyle is completely missing the point. 

015.jpg

Gore. Looks super young compared to what he used to for instance

The new character Alex and the new demon Amon are both illustrated by Masayuki Doi. They’re part of Deep Strange Journey’s new content, which includes new events, a new dungeon, and a new ending.

In addition to newly illustrated demons by Masayuki Doi, the game features extra demons from other titles to bring it about a total of 350 additional demons for Deep Strange Journey.

I like how they say newly illustrated and they are using the SAME OLD SPRITES lmao.

New UI arrangements and various other elements have also been added to give it more of a

deep and refined look. The game offers three difficulty settings and will let you save inside dungeons, this time around. Again, the BGM is being handled by Atlus’ sound team featuring Shoji Meguro and Saki Konishi.

Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey releases in Japan in Fall 2017 for Nintendo 3DS

Here is a comparison, if a little off in size:

Spoiler

Better detail and better shadowing on Old Gore, his face is more serious too. The brightening of the Strange Journey aesthetic is just bad overall. SJ is supposed to be nitty-gritty and realistic in style- making the colors lighter and decreasing the definition of the lines undoes this and makes everything look cheaper.

Zelenin Comparison:

Spoiler

They're trying to turn her into a 18 year old pop idol who does whatever the attractive-to-all MC wants her to at this rate! I will never be able to enjoy 'Brainwashed This Way" ever again.

The generics I say were better off without face sprites at all too, the new one for the girl looks painfully generic anime.

Also, that failure of a game (b/c Japanese game on Xbox = not gonna make money in Japan) called NINE gave us a beautifully SMT Maria? Why in the world didn't SJ use her before? With the Mothers being so important, giving Law their own would have been a nice move. The Holy Virgin Mary is the mother goddess worship tendency of humanity funneled into an acceptable (and very popular) form for Christian monotheism. To leave her out is blasphemy!

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Next we'll be seeing press turns & smirking, which while they work for the modern SMTs aren't really needed in SJ. Sorry that may have been a tad sour.

Edited by Jedi

eh, Zelenin's changes weren't that bad compared to Jimenez and Gore. 

17 hours ago, Jedi said:

Next we'll be seeing press turns & smirking, which while they work for the modern SMTs aren't really needed in SJ.

Nocturne had press turns before Atlus was even thinking of making Strange Journey. I do agree that a change in the battle system isn't needed, though.

Edited by Nobody

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

eh, Zelenin's changes weren't that bad compared to Jimenez and Gore. 

Nocturne had press turns before Atlus was even thinking of making Strange Journey. I do agree that a change in the battle system isn't needed, though.

I know, but I'm just saying I hope they don't change stuff in SJ just for the sake of it.

• 2 months later...