Some new info from Dutch Comic Con

4 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I did looked over at the Reddit thread and I don't see anyone mentioned about the Levin Sword/Lightning Sword in this topic. I did seen the thread creator did said he used Kliff with a Lightning Sword and saw someone did asked him wasn't it suppose to be Levin Sword, he did said it he saw it was actually called Lightning Sword in the demo not Levin Sword as of the previous Fire Emblem games.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised.

To be fair, the Thunder Sword in Shadow Dragon, Awakening etc. is spelled slightly differently compared to Gaiden and Genealogy, etc. But it's ever so slight that I didn't think they would go for a different name.

I'm just going off my memory, but in Gaiden it's "Lightning Sword" in hiragana (いかづちのけん), but you could easily interpret it as "Thunder Sword".

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Night Zap said:

I'm not a fan of mid-battle supports. It just doesn't make sense that characters just start talking about random stuff in the heat of combat. Conversation fit much better into the time between battles, when talking about your tragic backstory doesn't leave you open to stabbing.

Well if you're imagining the size and scale of a real battlefield, I wouldn't put it past a couple of people to duck into a safe, quiet place for a few moments to catch their breath and chat about something. The battles in FE are likely fought over miles, and they don't necessarily have guys coming at them to kill them every moment. Not to mention, in most non Fog of War maps, you can easily see the enemy advancing on you in order to prepare to meet them.

Just my thoughts on it.

22 hours ago, Thane said:

Seems like they're really addressing the worst issues with Gaiden, so I'm really positive now.

The only remaining problems right now are the low hit rates [...]

Question from someone who's completely in the dark about Gaiden mechanics. Did the enemies have awful hit rates, too? If it's a game of people from both the good and evil sides swinging at the air and getting lucky enough to hit every now and then, I'm okay with it so long as both sides suck at aiming.

12 hours ago, Iridium said:

If the game were otherwise respectful of the script, then sure, I'd believe it to be a mistake. But it's fairly well-documented that the Fates translation is pretty liberal (to be generous), so I don't see why anyone should be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt over a change like this.

Fates localization, not translation. There is a huge difference. It wasn't meant to be a direct translation in the first place. Pretty much any piece of media localized for a western audience is what you'd call a "liberal translation" on the journey from east to west, because making it work for a western audience means changing things. I wouldn't say that they weren't "respectful of the script." We still get the game, its story, and all its already-existent writing problems.

Not saying that any localization is flawless or can't be criticized, but I find that people are often too hard on localization because they're expecting a straight 1:1 from the original version, which isn't the goal. Fan translations are what you want to look for for that - and even then, fan translations still take liberties with the original script at times too (one Lewyn/Sylvia love conversation in Genealogy is completely different than the original Japanese in the fan translation, iirc).

Edited by Extrasolar

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Question from someone who's completely in the dark about Gaiden mechanics. Did the enemies have awful hit rates, too? If it's a game of people from both the good and evil sides swinging at the air and getting lucky enough to hit every now and then, I'm okay with it so long as both sides suck at aiming.

For the most part, yes, but I felt like it was very uneven. Really, the constant missing was a great source of frustration because it felt like it reduced the strategic element of the game for me. Of course you have to keep hit rates in mind when playing Fire Emblem, but in Gaiden I grew to be suspicious of all of my units' hit rate at all times. To make it worse you couldn't improve spell hit chance either. It's hard to set up an efficient strategy when you expect your attacks won't even land.

Oh the redditor just confirmed Forsyth (Force) now longer has his epic hair and is all green themed now instead of purple.. The green part is not new but the fact his hair is gone disappoints me.

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

Oh the redditor just confirmed Forsyth (Force) now longer has his epic hair and is all green themed now instead of purple.. The green part is not new but the fact his hair is gone disappoints me.

so we've got a red and green now! that's neat

20 minutes ago, Thane said:

For the most part, yes, but I felt like it was very uneven. Really, the constant missing was a great source of frustration because it felt like it reduced the strategic element of the game for me. Of course you have to keep hit rates in mind when playing Fire Emblem, but in Gaiden I grew to be suspicious of all of my units' hit rate at all times. To make it worse you couldn't improve spell hit chance either. It's hard to set up an efficient strategy when you expect your attacks won't even land.

Yep. Save Stat are basically required to have a somewhat agreeable experience.

Though Awfull hit rates saved me a few time as well (Ennemy's spell accuracy makes them less Dangerous that they would be.) ANd you can abuse terrains agains ennemy units.

Unrelated but I just realized now that Arrow have 70% Accuracy. Just like the actual bows.

A lot of people seem to be calling GBA style supports. From what we've seen and heard, it seems to be a mix of the two systems. You build them up by attacking, but you activate them in stage. Do we know if there's a cap on how many each unit can have, and do we know how they boost each unit? I mean, I'm glad there are supports, but I'm worried that they'll be too similar to the GBA system, and (contrary to popular belief) that's a bad thing.

9 hours ago, Eleanore said:

Okay fear averted then. Which is good because I dislike RD supports more than FE3/5 ones.

Hey now, at least RD supports allowed you to have things like Lyre interacting with Meg, which would be otherwise impossible to have!

3 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Fan translations are what you want to look for for that - and even then, fan translations still take liberties with the original script at times too (one Lewyn/Sylvia love conversation in Genealogy is completely different than the original Japanese in the fan translation, iirc).

A silly question, but, if I may ask, do you mean the original and first fan translation of FE4 or the bookofnarga one?

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I agree. It made the game much more luck-based than It should have been.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see that supports will return in this remake, since It will help to flesh out the characters. I'm also getting excited to know more about the new characters!

2 hours ago, The Malign Knight said:

A silly question, but, if I may ask, do you mean the original and first fan translation of FE4 or the bookofnarga one?

The first one, iirc. I remember reading the difference between the two some time ago, but don't quote me. It could just as easily be the latter one, as I haven't played FE4 in quite a while.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:15 PM, Iridium said:

It's not realistic for it to have been an accident, especially considering that it was in the European version too and just happens to be the one pairing where someone might find it to be a funny joke. That sounds like a rationale that was invented to alleviate Treehouse from guilt, more than anything else. It's about the same level of convenience as "accidentally" removing swimsuits.

Fatigue is probably not a bad addition to the game. You eventually reach a point where you have at least one unit on both sides capable of doing a comprehensive solo of the remainder of the game, and this is obviously detrimental to the game's strategic elements. Fatigue might resolve this... although it might also not do anything at all, depending on how its handled. Or perhaps more specifically: whether or not Alm (who is easily the strongest unit in his army that isn't a cleric) can get fatigued.

I think older fans might like  fatigue but not casual or the Awakening crowd. It sounds stupid to me to have a favorite character stats going down or not being able to play with that character. I can review just beating down on the mechanic.