Fatigue: What it does answered

So this guy being @NintenDaan got to play an Echoes demo and has confirmed that fatigue reduces stats and does not incapacitate units like in Thracia.

Thoughts? Personally I am happy with this change.

Oh thank goodness. Stat reduction I can deal with (and I assume food can abate the effects of fatigue, but if it doesn't it's fine), but Thracia-style fatigue would have been a deal breaker.

Edited by AzureSen

1 minute ago, AzureSen said:

Oh thank goodness. Stat reduction I can deal with (and I assume food can abate the effects of fatigue, but if it doesn't it's fine), but Thracia-style fatigue would have been a deal breaker.

On his twitter he said that giving food at a Mila Statue abates the effects of fatigue. Food can also be used as vulneraries (Though I think this info is from the Ducth Comic Con and not his twitter).

5 minutes ago, Azz said:

On his twitter he said that giving food at a Mila Statue abates the effects of fatigue. Food can also be used as vulneraries (Though I think this info is from the Ducth Comic Con and not his twitter).

Hmm, interesting. I do have a few more questions going off that (like how Mila Statue distribution is going to work, if Fatigue gain occurs for everyone or just units on the field, and if you can also lessen the effects of Fatigue by leaving units out of battle a la Thracia), but knowing that Fatigue isn't going to be crippling is good enough for now.

Edited by AzureSen

Not too fussed, but...why? Why would they add something so inconsequential to the game but not do someing to make this game feel more fresh, such as new map design?

Just now, InfinityAlex said:

Not too fussed, but...why? Why would they add something so inconsequential to the game but not do someing to make this game feel more fresh, such as new map design?

There... is new map design. you can very clearly see new maps in many of the footage released

3 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Mind sharing? I really can't say I've seen much in terms of main campaign changes.

i don't have any screenshots and I don't feel like finding any, but I definitely remember seeing a new chapter at the port where you meet catria and palla

they're keeping the old maps but I remember seeing a fair amount of new ones in the videos 

a lot of the maps in gaiden are used many, many times, so they're probably changing at least some of the reused ones

2 minutes ago, unique said:

i don't have any screenshots and I don't feel like finding any, but I definitely remember seeing a new chapter at the port where you meet catria and palla

they're keeping the old maps but I remember seeing a fair amount of new ones in the videos 

a lot of the maps in gaiden are used many, many times, so they're probably changing at least some of the reused ones

That map at the port where you meet Catria and Palla is the same map as when you first encounter Valbar and Co. For some reason they didn't show the Whitewings map so it's not actually a new map.

However there is a new prologue map and I would say (And really hope tbh) that they are adding new maps. They can probably get away with using the old map design but I don;t think they could get away with reusing maps like in OG Gaiden.

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

It was the only thing that made sense. I'm not too fussed that fatigue is in, but I'm happy it doesn't force you to drop units.

I guess it might be interesting for lengthy dungeon?

Same. It'll make for interesting strategies and it also encourages/forces players to consider using more than just a select number of characters. I always felt that I was one of very few people that tried to use each character as equally as possible.

5 hours ago, Kaze said:

Same. It'll make for interesting strategies and it also encourages/forces players to consider using more than just a select number of characters. I always felt that I was one of very few people that tried to use each character as equally as possible.

Then how did you beat Radiant dawn?  Nevermind, that's a dumb question.  

As for fatigue... I think they decided to put it in to try and balance out grinding and difficulty scaling.  With grinding certain characters over and over, they get overpowered really fast.  If you go into Gaiden's maps with overpowered characters, the game becomes a joke.  If you don't grind at all, the game becomes much more challenging.  Fatigue limits how far you can advance because eventually maps will become unbeatable with certain team members.  This gives you an incentive to grind some levels and use other characters to have a well balanced team so the difficuty doesn't get too hard.  And since going to the mila statues appears to be the only way to remove fatigue aside from the food?   I will say this, though.  The more units you use in a team, the less replay value a Fire Emblem game has, in my opinion,  Part of replaying the games is using certain units that you didn't before.  With gaiden's small cast, I don't think people will be replaying this game more than once.  I feel that fewer playthroughs will be unique.

16 hours ago, Kaze said:

Really? The games must have been much harder for you than they usually are, then... I can't even imagine being able to do that, especially on the harder difficulties.

But yeah, that's how I theorized how fatigue would work. Now the purpose of the food makes more sense.

I don't remember having much of a problem with the fatigue in Thracia. I think I was only prevented from picking one of my main units maybe once, Chapter 7. The thing about that game though was that there was a very large pool of units and they all had the same caps (not to mention having a lot of units locked to swords for the final few chapters), so you had a decent back-up

Gaiden's cast is much smaller, so fatigue could potentially be a bigger problem (though with less severe repercussions), unless they include a larger roster. I believe they mentioned new units (plural), but we've only seen Faye so far so I take that with a grain of salt.

49 minutes ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

Gaiden's cast is much smaller, so fatigue could potentially be a bigger problem (though with less severe repercussions), unless they include a larger roster. I believe they mentioned new units (plural), but we've only seen Faye so far so I take that with a grain of salt.

I think they'd take that into consideration and maybe make fatigue fully go away after maybe 1-2 days ingame. Any longer would force both parties to eventually have fatigue, assuming fatigue takes 2-3 battles to being having an effect, which would be really crappy. Basically, if the amount of time to get rid of fatigue is more the amount of time to gain fatigue, it'd be really annoying assuming we can't pass days without battling on either side.

This is also under the assumption that after 1 battle has transpired on either side, a day passes. We don't even know how exactly the calendar works yet, but I do think this would make sense.

I also wonder how it'll be handled when only 1 party is accessible...

Edited by Almerson

On 26/03/2017 at 3:55 PM, AzureSen said:

Is it so bad that Thracia forces you to vary your units until you can hoard Stamina Drinks.

I liked being forced to use a larger cast.

11 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Is it so bad that Thracia forces you to vary your units until you can hoard Stamina Drinks.

I liked being forced to use a larger cast.

Yes - I consider fatigue grounds for staying as far away from Thracia as humanly possible. This game's fatigue sounds much more tolerable.

Thracia-style fatigue system would have been awesome, because that was the only system in an FE game that made players utilize their entire army and not just their 14 favorite units.

Yes - I consider fatigue grounds for staying as far away from Thracia as humanly possible. This game's fatigue sounds much more tolerable.

This is flat out dumb. Maybe actually try the game before you knock it. Or wait for the inevitable English remake.

Edited by bufkus

37 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Thracia-style fatigue system would have been awesome, because that was the only system in an FE game that made players utilize their entire army and not just their 14 favorite units.

This is flat out dumb. Maybe actually try the game before you knock it. Or wait for the inevitable English remake.

Let me think about that... Oh wait, I already did. How about... H-e-two hockey sticks no? Because I already have a boatload of problems with the Jugdral games in general, and to be blunt, I consider the game arbitrarily denying me the ability to use one of my favorite units [EFF]ing deplorable. Oh, and this is just me, but honestly, if it was remade, the remake would probably get eviscerated if fatigue remained in.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Just simply wouldn't have mattered to me which "style" it is. Fatigue isn't something that makes me jump out of my skin and flee the scene, nor is it something I care greatly for, it's just there and I would've worked within my means, same as before. And the same will apply to this.

I mean, I'd be impressed at Thracia fatigue returning, but hey, still wouldn't make a difference to me.

5 hours ago, bufkus said:

Friendly tip: Save your breath with this one

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Let me think about that... Oh wait, I already did. How about... H-e-two hockey sticks no? Because I already have a boatload of problems with the Jugdral games in general, and to be blunt, I consider the game arbitrarily denying me the ability to use one of my favorite units [EFF]ing deplorable. Oh, and this is just me, but honestly, if it was remade, the remake would probably get eviscerated if fatigue remained in.

Totally, because you don't get any way to handle fatigue, none at all, none whatsoever. 

"B-b-but "
If you got a resource problem, better learn how to manage money, capture to make money, or deal with it.
Also to be considered, best learn how not to throw your "favorite unit"(if you actually played the game) at everything and they won't get fatigued. You have options, you know.

EDIT: And if you absolutely have to throw your "favorite unit" at everything, give them a "stamina drink"
"But that takes up inventory space!!!" Yeah, because at every point in time your inventory is going to be full and you can't clear a slot for one, I know, it's hard out here for a fighter.

Edited by Soledai

37 minutes ago, Soledai said:

Just simply wouldn't have mattered to me which "style" it is. Fatigue isn't something that makes me jump out of my skin and flee the scene, nor is it something I care greatly for, it's just there and I would've worked within my means, same as before. And the same will apply to this.

I mean, I'd be impressed at Thracia fatigue returning, but hey, still wouldn't make a difference to me.

Friendly tip: Save your breath with this one

Totally, because you don't get any way to handle fatigue, none at all, none whatsoever. 

"B-b-but "
If you got a resource problem, better learn how to manage money, capture to make money, or deal with it.
Also to be considered, best learn how not to throw your "favorite unit"(if you actually played the game) at everything and they won't get fatigued. You have options, you know.

EDIT: And if you absolutely have to throw your "favorite unit" at everything, give them a "stamina drink"
"But that takes up inventory space!!!" Yeah, because at every point in time your inventory is going to be full and you can't clear a slot for one, I know, it's hard out here for a fighter.

Funny you say that, because honestly, you might as well have saved your breath. Sure, there are ways to deal with it. Doesn't make it okay in my book.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia