What makes a FE story "good" or "bad"?

Dragoncat

RE: Black knight

Wow you make it sound like the last fight between Raoh and Toki in HNK. I don't really know if I feel that way. In the context of PoR alone, it's hard to see the black knight being blinded by his opinion of Greil to that extent. I would say that his comment after the fight has more to do with Greil "allowing" himself to get old and then taking the axe, it was probably clear that Greil no longer intended to live as a rival, and in his characterization in POR, Greil might as well have no life at all outside of that. 

In terms of Radiant Dawn Zelgius...  he seems to have thought Greil could beat him- (final chapter pt 2 flashback). The whole sacred armor thing never comes up, but I assume that he would have counted being "disarmed" as being beaten. The whole sequence of still wanting to fight "gawain at his full power" through the medium of Ike does seem kind of desperate, since I read him as willing to let Tibarn kill him without resisting in the event of Ike losing. I say this because he only focuses on Ike and Micaih, and doesn't really seem like he considers anyone else as an obstacle or player in Sephiran's plan, and given what'll happen, has no reason not too let Tibarn have a moment of happiness.

Further complicating this is whether, Zelgius implicitly SHARES Sephiran's goals? If this is the case, then his personal goal of surpassing his master justifies both fights since he thinks everyone is going to die within the 3 year window of the two games anyway. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A line about the Laguz ruling the Beorc doesn't change how lopsided its portrayal of the conflict is. The two villainous and important Laguz encountered (Naesala and Sephiran) were both pushed into villainy by Beorc treachery and still more symphathetic than Ashnard or the Senators besides Hetzel. 

You don't see Lekain saying that the Laguz would conquer them if they had the opportunity so they better conquer them first. You don't see Soren throwing Laguz rule in Lethe's face. 

I brought up the same thing Acacia did about an hour before he did, and was completely ignored. I didn't enter this conversation just for everyone to ignore me -_-

Yes, the portrayal of the conflict between laguz and beorc was lopsided. Yes, they could've done more to make the laguz's oppression of the beorc in times of the past more of a point for beorcs. But it's still something that at least suggests that the laguz as a whole aren't good and the beorc as a whole aren't bad. Plus, it's more than Fates ever gave us regarding Nohr and Hoshido.

So.... in the end... The Black Knight is a fraud and doesn't deserve his popularity in the fanbase?

That freaking mess of character...