Voice Acted Lines

Dylan Corona

...I feel alone in thinking that Fae's English voice is adorable ._.

Anyway, as for my favorite lines (in English)...

Fae's rawring is pretty adorable.

Cecilia's "HERE AND NOW!" sounds so damn epic.

"I wonder if Mar-Mar is here as well..." The fact that adult Tiki can meet her friends again in the flesh and not just as simple memories of the past is heartwarming. I also love her consistent English accent between her ages.

Nino's voice is pretty great as well. It fits her innocent and kind nature.

And for Michalis... "How dare you lay a finger on me!" Well, it was my thumb... :P

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Adorable or not, "it doesn't sound like a 5-year-old" is the problem.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Adorable or not, "it doesn't sound like a 5-year-old" is the problem.

I mean, is Fae's age or appearance "in dragon years" ever established, let alone at 5 years old? I would have assumed she looks at least 10 for human standards, if not 8. Also, I imagine it's tough for VAs to try for a 5-year old voice.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Among the Japanese voices, Fae's is by far my favorite. She sounds exactly like I'd imagine her to sound like: an easily distracted, overly energetic, but adorable little kid.

Yeah, Ari Ozawa is pretty convincing with her roles. I love her nasally voice for Serra. Respect aside though, Fae's voice makes want to both give her a hug and kill myself on the spot. Not sure why honestly, since I usually don't get bothered by high-pitched or weird voices. There's some weird, buttery(?) quality to it.

My favourite voice line is probably Gwendolyn's "That's my armor. I haven't put on weight!" in Japanese. It's weird to see that she has this side, honestly. Second place is probably Lissa's "I get called 'petite'... But that's not true, right?" No Lissa, it is true.

29 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I mean, is Fae's age or appearance "in dragon years" ever established, let alone at 5 years old? I would have assumed she looks at least 10 for human standards, if not 8. Also, I imagine it's tough for VAs to try for a 5-year old voice.

She looks like a kindergartner to me. I can totally picture her with the sky blue smock, yellow hat, and red ransel.

Her Japanese voice can totally pass for a kindergartner regardless.

21 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

My favourite voice line is probably Gwendolyn's "That's my armor. I haven't put on weight!" in Japanese.

Yes. Very yes. 「よ・ろ・い・で・す。太ってませんから!」

I can totally see her pouting at you when she says it.

EDIT: Also Hana's line in Japanese: 「あなた、強そうだよね。手合わせを... えっ…? 戦えないの?」"You look strong. Want to spar... Eh...? You can't fight?"

You can just see the look of confusion and disappointment on her face.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, NoirCore said:

I agree. I find Fae's voice totally adorable. It always seemed quite fitting to me. Everyone's different, I guess ^.^

To be honest, I never thought much of her as a character until this game. She was just so cute in this that I find myself liking her more. She's my favourite of the 'little girl' dragons now :)

I just got a Setsuna, I had one before, but I took her skills and never clicked on her. She has some pretty funny lines, like the "I'm in a pit, oh no, no, not now. Later when you can't find me." and "I popped out of a divine weapon? Whoo hoo hooo, I've always wanted to do that!"

I also think I like Conner Kelly as a voice actor.

Edited by Dylan Corona

11 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Cecilia's "HERE AND NOW!" sounds so damn epic.

"I wonder if Mar-Mar is here as well..." The fact that adult Tiki can meet her friends again in the flesh and not just as simple memories of the past is heartwarming. I also love her consistent English accent between her ages.

Nino's voice is pretty great as well. It fits her innocent and kind nature.

And for Michalis... "How dare you lay a finger on me!" Well, it was my thumb... :P

A couple of Fae's lines sound a little weird to me, but her rawrs are adorable.      

I love how angry Saizo sounds in all his lines.  Shanna's voice is great as well.  I used to be pretty neutral towards her.  Didn't like her, didn't dislike her, but her voice acting in heroes has made her way more endearing to me.  Also while I was surprised how deep Narcian's voice was at first it's grown on me.  

20 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not much of a fan of the English voices.

Part of it is due to the writing in that translators often end up writing awkward lines that native English speakers wouldn't construct of their own volition. In fact, the shorter the line, the more likely this will be an issue because there is less freedom to rearrange words to get the same or a similar meaning.

The other part of it is due to the smaller pool, and therefore less variety, of voice actors to draw from. A large number of voice actors working on the English voices are voicing 3 different characters, and I typically find that the pool of English voice actors have a smaller range of character types they can convincingly perform in, for example, small children have a tendency to not sound like small children.

I just can't really get into it if the writer and voice actor can't convince me that the person in the picture is talking and it isn't just someone reading off of a script (even if they're reading off the script really well).

Wait is that why you have your copy in Japanese text now? IIRC, you had English screenshots before. Or was I imagining it?

I remember I would have killed for Ninian to have been in Awakening old character DLC with a voice actress a long time ago.

It's funny how you have your wishes when you're ready to handle it. Not a moment before.

Her formal, humble Japanese really fits that Nadeshiko Yamato trope.

It's... eerily similar to the voice I remember.

Literally a voice of the past from the world of dreams.

同じだ。君と別れ▪▪▪ あの時の声と同じ。

美しい歌姫の声▪▪▪

I mean, no offense to Brianna Knickerbocker... as it is not through any fault of her own... but having Sakura and Ninian on the same team in English when I play on Belinda's phone to help her grind is REALLY off putting.

Edited by shadowofchaos

9 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Wait is that why you have your copy in Japanese text now? IIRC, you had English screenshots before. Or was I imagining it?

My game has been English for all of like half an hour total when I first downloaded it on my old phone and downloaded it on Bluestacks when my old phone bricked itself. If you saw English screenshots, you must have been imagining things.

I have more issues with the English version than just the voices, namely my annoyance at the localization of various character and other asset names. The only reason I use the localized names when posting here is because being more easily understood is more important than my own annoyance with the localization team. And since I can read Japanese decently well (2 years of formal class and 9 years of general use here and there), there's not much lost by switching the language (besides the fact that it takes a long time to read dialogue when they use vocabulary I'm not familiar with).

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game in English since FE8 (where my main save is still for the Japanese game).

To be entirely fair to the English voices, I don't really have much issue with the few that you can scroll between when downloading updates and whatnot, not like you can really screw up the simple lines they use for that, but still.

Well, other than the fact that Camilla's voice in Japanese is by far superior.

18 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE PICK A GOD AND PRAY DIDN'T MAKE IT IN THE GAME AS AN OFFENSIVE SKILL LINE! IT'S PREPOSTEROUS! D:

Omg that's stupid. Should someone petition the big N to add it? xD

For some reason, I just really love Serra's line of, "I'm here!  Lucky you!"  (Serra is simultaneously the character I most enjoy having in-game, and the character I would probably find most irritating were I to meet her in real life.)

Am I the only one who finds her voice a little lower than expected?  I almost feel that the voice actresses for Serra and Florina should have been swapped.

8 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Omg that's stupid. Should someone petition the big N to add it? xD

Yeah, instead Freddy's other Awakening crit lines were used (though "Now!" became "Aaand now!"). That one was literally the only one of the four not to be in. So sad.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

For some reason, I just really love Serra's line of, "I'm here!  Lucky you!"  (Serra is simultaneously the character I most enjoy having in-game, and the character I would probably find most irritating were I to meet her in real life.)

Am I the only one who finds her voice a little lower than expected?  I almost feel that the voice actresses for Serra and Florina should have been swapped.

yeah I was honestly really disappointed with serra's voice

she's my favorite FE character so I was looking forward to hearing her voice but when I actually heard it I thought it was way deeper than it should've been, I always imagined her having a really high pitched voice

her voice actress is the same as lissa's and honestly I would've been fine if she just used the same voice she does for lissa

serra's voice isnt that bad but it wasn't anything like I was hoping it would be so I was pretty disappointed

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

My game has been English for all of like half an hour total when I first downloaded it on my old phone and downloaded it on Bluestacks when my old phone bricked itself. If you saw English screenshots, you must have been imagining things.

I have more issues with the English version than just the voices, namely my annoyance at the localization of various character and other asset names. The only reason I use the localized names when posting here is because being more easily understood is more important than my own annoyance with the localization team. And since I can read Japanese decently well (2 years of formal class and 9 years of general use here and there), there's not much lost by switching the language (besides the fact that it takes a long time to read dialogue when they use vocabulary I'm not familiar with).

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game in English since FE8 (where my main save is still for the Japanese game).

To be entirely fair to the English voices, I don't really have much issue with the few that you can scroll between when downloading updates and whatnot, not like you can really screw up the simple lines they use for that, but still.

I must have confused a screenshot by another whale for you haha.

Another Sawashiro fan, I see.

I'm not a fan of Japanese voices. If it's not a samey male voice, it's a squeaky high pitched female voice that burns my ears. That said, I don't think all English voices are perfect either. Camilla sounds like an old hag, Roy sounds too old, Raigh sounds too old, Peri sounds plain stupid, and Minerva sounds like a jaguar when she tries to attack. I also don't like how deep Effie's voice is.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

I must have confused a screenshot by another whale for you haha.

Another Sawashiro fan, I see.

Well, Sawashiro Miyuki can do a rather convincing onee-san wants to give you a lap pillow.

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

This man has good taste. The new English VA for Camilla is an improvement, but competing against Miyuki Sawashiro is simply a losing battle.

Honestly, I think people who think all Japanese voices sound the same are just tuning out, because they don't understand what they're saying in the first place. Which is a common involuntary response to a foreign language actually. If we have to talk about samey, you can't tell me Yuri Lowenthal: The Game is more diverse than the Japanese cast.

Oddly enough, I prefer to play the GBA games in English.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

This man has good taste. The new English VA for Camilla is an improvement, but competing against Miyuki Sawashiro is simply a losing battle.

Honestly, I think people who think all Japanese voices sound the same are just tuning out, because they don't understand what they're saying in the first place. Which is a common involuntary response to a foreign language actually. If we have to talk about samey, you can't tell me Yuri Lowenthal: The Game is more diverse than the Japanese cast.

Maybe it does have something to do with not understanding Japanese, but it still doesn't change my opinion that the English ones sound more varied to me. That also doesn't excuse all the high-pitched female voices. They still burn my ears like crazy.

Also, "Yuri Lowenthal: The Game"? What the heck is that?

30 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If it's not a samey male voice, it's a squeaky high pitched female voice that burns my ears.

Never in a billion years, in 917,352,638 different lifetimes, could I have ever found a different way to say this any better myself. 

Give this woman a round of applause *Claps hands*

Bravo!

Fave line is a 2 way tie of serra saying

"I'd never ask you to rub my shoulders, it's my feet that are sore!"

And

"Adore me!" :wub:

i'm honestly not sure whether I prefer the english or japanese voices overall

i like the japanese voices more for a lot of characters

jagen sounds good in english but I feel like his japanese voice was pretty much perfect, caeda has one of my favorites in english but she sounds a lot more like I imagined her to in japanese, eliwood's japanese voice is pretty much perfect, and palla sounds way too young in english but about right in japanese

but there are also a few that I think the english version did way better, like felicia, whose english voice I feel is really charming while not being  obnoxious, lyn, whose japanese voice is way too high pitched and annoying, and hector, who sounds good in japanese but I think they got down perfectly in english (though in this case it's more because of how I imagined him sounding when I played the game so maybe that varies in japanese)

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

now i'm not saying the english cast is better or less samey but i'm pretty sure yuri lowenthal only voices like, 3 characters in heroes

marth, merric, and eliwood are the only ones i'm aware of

while I'm of the opinion that we need less yuri lowenthal voices in video games for the sake of variety, he has about the same amount as most of the other voice actors in heroes

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Maybe it does have something to do with not understanding Japanese, but it still doesn't change my opinion that the English ones sound more varied to me. That also doesn't excuse all the high-pitched female voices. They still burn my ears like crazy.

Also, "Yuri Lowenthal: The Game"? What the heck is that?

Not all female voices are high pitched either, but eh, I can see why they bother some people. Partly cultural too maybe.

Yuri voices three people in Heroes, and his performance in all three sounds extremely similar. (He also has two more roles as Ricken and Kiragi someday, and when that happens he'll be the most used English VA I think). Not trying to say "this is why engrish sux", but it's unfair to say that a bunch of Japanese male voices done by three different voice actors with different styles of speech is "samey" while this happens. There are voice actors who can do varied voices despite repeated casting in both languages (Wendee Lee and Toa Yukinari), so I wouldn't just write off one side like that.

12 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Never in a billion years, in 917,352,638 different lifetimes, could I have ever found a different way to say this any better myself. 

Give this woman a round of applause *Claps hands*

Bravo!

Fave line is a 2 way tie of serra saying

"I'd never ask you to rub my shoulders, it's my feet that are sore!"

And

"Adore me!" :wub:

Yeah, I'm replaying FE7 right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hear "Adore me!" in my head every time Serra heals someone.  XD

Maybe they should have gotten Billy West to do all the male voices.  I bet he could have done all of them without any two sounding alike.

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Not all female voices are high pitched either, but eh, I can see why they bother some people. Partly cultural too maybe.

Yuri voices three people in Heroes, and his performance in all three sounds extremely similar. (He also has two more roles as Ricken and Kiragi someday, and when that happens he'll be the most used English VA I think). Not trying to say "this is why engrish sux", but it's unfair to say that a bunch of Japanese male voices done by three different voice actors with different styles of speech is "samey" while this happens. There are voice actors who can do varied voices despite repeated casting in both languages (Wendee Lee and Toa Yukinari), so I wouldn't just write off one side like that.

Engrish does suck though

Wendee Lee is absurd. She's a complete maniac in this game. But some people like cherami leigh . . . . . . . Before I go off on her, if you have Caeda and Gwendolyn you should hear it for yourself. This way you get a firsthand experience heh heh heh