Voice Acted Lines

Dylan Corona

13 hours ago, NoirCore said:

And for Michalis... "How dare you lay a finger on me!" Well, it was my thumb... :P

I like that one too! Michalis sounds so grumpy, that is funny... I feel bad for pocking at him just to hear that line

Also, I still like to hear "OH THAT'S IT!" from Takumi squad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Maybe it does have something to do with not understanding Japanese, but it still doesn't change my opinion that the English ones sound more varied to me. That also doesn't excuse all the high-pitched female voices. They still burn my ears like crazy.

1. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game, and
  2. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game?

I watch anime on a weekly basis with friends from work (about 5 hours straight every Thursday night), and I know first-hand that when people listen to people speaking a foreign language, they tune out a lot of what they hear.

Sheena's voice is very obviously low-pitched; there's no way you can argue otherwise. Camilla's is very distinctive, soft, and honeyed and not something you'd normally call "high-pitched". The younger girls should have high-pitched voices, and they do, but with none of the lower-pitched undertones that plague English female voice acting that give away the actor's not-as-young-as-the-character's age (probably something to do with differences in how vocal cords develop with age for different ethnicities, but I'm no expert).

The more you understand what they are saying and the more you put the effort to listening to the voices themselves, the more different they sound, and the easier it is to pick up on those differences. That said, while I can tell the difference between Japanese male voice actors, there is definitely less variation compared to female voices, and I can't identify many by voice alone. On the other hand, the exact same can be said of English male voice actors, too.

On 3/26/2017 at 3:01 PM, Dylan Corona said:

Also, for fun, which lines are your favorite? I like Lyn's line about waking us up and Niles's line about coming out of the gun.

"I hope always for my soul to soar, but sometimes I am weak... For that, I am sorry." 

Love how this definitely reflects my bae's character.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game, and
  2. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game?

I watch anime on a weekly basis with friends from work (about 5 hours straight every Thursday night), and I know first-hand that when people listen to people speaking a foreign language, they tune out a lot of what they hear.

Sheena's voice is very obviously low-pitched; there's no way you can argue otherwise. Camilla's is very distinctive, soft, and honeyed and not something you'd normally call "high-pitched". The younger girls should have high-pitched voices, and they do, but with none of the lower-pitched undertones that plague English female voice acting that give away the actor's not-as-young-as-the-character's age (probably something to do with differences in how vocal cords develop with age for different ethnicities, but I'm no expert).

The more you understand what they are saying and the more you put the effort to listening to the voices themselves, the more different they sound, and the easier it is to pick up on those differences. That said, while I can tell the difference between Japanese male voice actors, there is definitely less variation compared to female voices, and I can't identify many by voice alone. On the other hand, the exact same can be said of English male voice actors, too.

Not in Heroes, no, but I have in other FE games and other Japanese media. I'm not saying every Japanese female voice is high pitched and squeaky, but many of them are compared to English ones.

Also, I don't understand Japanese, so I'm not inclined to listen to those voices regardless.

I'm surprised no one has noticed that they use lines from the games. Like caeda's infamous "tell me, do you believe in love?" Or roy's "I have faith in the goodness of humankind, no matter what." Is there any other lines from the games the characters are in?

10 minutes ago, JDtheBA said:

I'm surprised no one has noticed that they use lines from the games. Like caeda's infamous "tell me, do you believe in love?" Or roy's "I have faith in the goodness of humankind, no matter what." Is there any other lines from the games the characters are in?

i think a lot of people have noticed, the reason no one mentioned it is probably because it's pretty obvious, since a lot of characters say lines from their games

ursula says "Are you afraid to die?"

jaffar says "I have no heart" as well as something about being born on a "mountain of corpses"

one of lyn's quotes is "I’m always up early, so don’t be surprised if I barge in and ask, “Are you awake yet?"

and even though he hasn't been released yet, one of Camus' lines is "I have lived as a knight, and I intend to die as one"

there are probably more but those are all I can think of for now

Edited by unique

5 minutes ago, unique said:

i think a lot of people have noticed, the reason no one mentioned it is probably because it's pretty obvious, since a lot of characters say lines from their games

jaffar says "I have no heart" as well as something about being born on a "mountain of corpses"

one of lyn's quotes is "I’m always up early, so don’t be surprised if I barge in and ask, “Are you awake yet?"

and even though he hasn't been released yet, one of Camus' lines is "I have lived as a knight, and I intend to die as one"

Can't wait to put my hands on Camus and Xander.

It's gonna be a feast. Just to hear the stuff they're gonna say, among other things heh heh heh

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Not in Heroes, no, but I have in other FE games and other Japanese media. I'm not saying every Japanese female voice is high pitched and squeaky, but many of them are compared to English ones.

Also, I don't understand Japanese, so I'm not inclined to listen to those voices regardless.

Ana, this is one of those illogical things you do. You literally talk bad about something without ever judging it for yourself.

You're either using hearsay, or using a completely different source.

So what you say is invalid until you actually *SPECIFY* which high pitched voice or group of voices bothers you or "burns your ears".

Literally just say "I'm not interested" instead of implying worse quality.

@Ice Dragon even just from seeing their old posts at FESS, isn't one to nitpick at people needlessly like me.

Especially when you accuse the Japanese media of sounding "samey" when it is literal fact that Yuri Lowenthall, the same person, voices 3 characters. Who will sound the same to a certain degree regardless of how his performance changes. Brianna Knickerbocker voices Ninian and Sakura.

I'm sure from a mathematical perspective, we can pretty much prove "FE Heroes English has more objectively samey" qualities.

Edited by shadowofchaos

3 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

So what you say is invalid until you actually *SPECIFY* which high pitched voice or group of voices bothers you or "burns your ears".

Guess you'd be unhappy to know I almost feel the same heh

Maybe burn your ears is a little intense but I agree with what Ana says. I'm not sure what you mean by "*SPECIFY* which high pitched voice or group of voices bothers you". How can you specify "High pitched voices"? Is that not already specified? I apologize if I'm missing something here.

1 hour ago, JDtheBA said:

M!Robin has kept "Time to tip the scales!", and Virion has "Die, with magnificence!" as battle quotes.  At least some things never change!

what do you mean, salty about the lack of "pick a god and pray"?

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Maybe burn your ears is a little intense but I agree with what Ana says. I'm not sure what you mean by "*SPECIFY* which high pitched voice or group of voices bothers you". How can you specify "High pitched voices"? Is that not already specified? I apologize if I'm missing something here.

Whose high-pitched voices is what he wants you to specify. I've already given the examples that Sheena and Camilla do not at all have high-pitched voices, so it can't just be a general "everyone has high-pitched voices".

9 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Have you, listened to the JP voices in FE Heroes?

Or are you basing it solely on your experience with other Japanese media.

If it is the latter, then you can *ONLY* state that you do not like Japanese voices in general. And cannot criticize FE heroes for doing the same.

You can only state "I don't like Japanese voices for reasons stated" and you *CANNOT* imply that FE heroes has a lower quality (aka samey) unless you can specify which voices are high-pitched/generic/etc.

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

If it is the latter, then you can *ONLY* state that you do not like Japanese voices in general. And cannot criticize FE heroes for doing the same.

You can only state "I don't like Japanese voices for reasons stated" and you *CANNOT* imply that FE heroes has a lower quality (aka samey) unless you can specify which voices are high-pitched/generic/etc.

Oh I see what you're saying. I guess I'm just way too tired.

But yeah you're right. I am basing that off of bias. But I think it'll be a while before I can appreciate all Japanese voices and determine what's what as I don't understand the language anyway. Your argument is tact and valid at the same time. Maybe I should hold my tongue before making certain responses. ......

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Oh I see what you're saying. I guess I'm just way too tired.

But yeah you're right. I am basing that off of bias. But I think it'll be a while before I can appreciate all Japanese voices and determine what's what as I don't understand the language anyway. Your argument is tact and valid at the same time. Maybe I should hold my tongue before making certain responses. ......

Well, like it should be... people can have their preferences. It's just that sometimes people are so eager to jump on a sub vs dub war simply because they "can't understand" the other side. It's a fact that both sides have their extremes.

And that both sides have their flaws. I can understand either way sounding "samey".

*However*, when we're basing a unit of measurement being the number of characters one single voice actor has voiced as the "samey" criteria (aka Yuri Lowenthall voicing so many FE characters)... it's kind of hard to argue the opposite (Japanese sounding samey) like Ana says. Especially since @Ice Dragon has specifically mentioned an example of English being samey.

Edited by shadowofchaos

13 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Well, like it should be... people can have their preferences. It's just that sometimes people are so eager to jump on a sub vs dub war simply because they "can't understand" the other side. It's a fact that both sides have their extremes.

And that both sides have their flaws. I can understand either way sounding "samey".

*However*, when we're basing a unit of measurement being the number of characters one single voice actor has voiced as the "samey" criteria (aka Yuri Lowenthall voicing so many FE characters)... it's kind of hard to argue the opposite (Japanese sounding samey) like Ana says. Especially since @Ice Dragon has specifically mentioned an example of English being samey.

I have a certain type of squeaky voice I don't like, and it can best be described as "Marisa stole the precious one".

But otherwise, meh.  I usually play with the volume muted.

1 hour ago, unique said:

I laughed at Lyn saying "Are you awake yet?" I enjoy a lot of Lyn's lines. It's funny half my team is moody or darkish guys with strange lines (Jaffar and Niles) and the other half is bright and hopeful (Lyn and Maria). I think, out of the characters I have seen, they did a good job with picking the right lines and voices to match the characters. I like when a line also calls back to the game they're from. It's nifty. 

I just had a thought. If Volug get's added to the game...he is going to have like the most silent line's ever..or they will have to get someone to speak Japanese backwards lol.

Edited by Dylan Corona

On 27/3/2017 at 1:30 AM, NoirCore said:

.And for Michalis... "How dare you lay a finger on me!" Well, it was my thumb... :P

12 hours ago, SniperGYS said:

I like that one too! Michalis sounds so grumpy, that is funny... I feel bad for pocking at him just to hear that line

I use Michalis just to hear his grumpy quotes too. Specially "Don't push me!". I might have a thing for grumpy guys because I love poking at Saizo for his line about candy. NEVER candy.

Another favourite of mine is M!Corrin's "I have so many siblings... I'm very fortunate." He sounds... ironic. And that's hilarious because I have a weird sense of humour.

10 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

I wasn't trying to? I meant that I don't like Japanese voices in general, not that I don't like the Heroes ones, because you're right. I've barely heard any of those.

I actually like the English ones for their accents, e.g ENG Seliph over JP Seliph. The overall quality of the English voiceover does take a dip, admittedly (like Hinata or Eldigan's...and I'm potentially missing the glorious Ayaneru). If only we can switch character voice manually ala Street Fighter/UMVC3.

I'll probably switch over to JP sooner or later.

7 minutes ago, pianime94 said:

I actually like the English ones for their accents, e.g ENG Seliph over JP Seliph. The overall quality of the English voiceover does take a dip, admittedly (like Hinata or Eldigan's...and I'm potentially missing the glorious Ayaneru). If only we can switch character voice manually ala Street Fighter/UMVC3.

I'll probably switch over to JP sooner or later.

Agreed. The variety of the English voices is much, much better. The jp ones just don't have that.

If some of them are crappy, so be it. I prefer the variety, even in the quality. It makes them feel a bit more, idk, authentic.

13 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

The variety of the English voices is much, much better. The jp ones just don't have that.

You're going to have to put in some serious argument to support this claim because as I have said before, people have a tendency to not listen when hearing people speak in a language they don't understand.

Also, I doubt most people can tell the difference between accents (and be able to pick out which differences are caused by accents and which are caused by individual differences) in a language they don't know. Gibberish will simply sound like gibberish, and that's probably why most people think Japanese sounds so same-y.

Edited by Ice Dragon

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You're going to have to put in some serious argument to support this claim because as I have said before, people have a tendency to not listen when hearing people speak in a language they don't understand.

Also, I doubt most people can tell the difference between accents (and be able to pick out which differences are caused by accents and which are caused by individual differences) in a language they don't know. Gibberish will simply sound like gibberish, and that's probably why most people think Japanese sounds so same-y.

Exactly. I don't speak Japanese. To me, there isn't enough variety and that's more or less it.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that it sounds like gibberish. In fact, to me that's the difference between bad and good voice acting. Great voice acting can convey meaning through emphasis and inflection. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I know some Kurosawa films that you don't need to understand the exact words, you can tell what they mean just from how they're said.

But this entire argument is subjective. To each their own.

Edited by dragonlordsd

22 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Exactly. I don't speak Japanese. To me, there isn't enough variety and that's more or less it.

Which essentially is saying, "I'm not qualified to make a well-informed comment on the subject."

23 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

but I know some Kurosawa films that you don't need to understand the exact words, you can tell what they mean just from how they're said.

But "how the lines are said" isn't the only thing you're relying on to infer meaning. You also have (1) visual cues you can use to enhance your understanding of what's going on, (2) extended dialogue with multiple people speaking, meaning you have action and reaction to work with, and (3) longer lines, giving more opportunities to convey meaning through emphasis and inflection.

None of these are available in Heroes. In 10 words, you usually won't be able to discern meaning from the tone alone, especially for "neutral" or "idle" quotes that are meant to be small talk, and there is no dialogue (player character does respond in some quotes, but it is not audible to the player) or visual cues to use.

45 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

That said, I don't necessarily agree that it sounds like gibberish. In fact, to me that's the difference between bad and good voice acting. Great voice acting can convey meaning through emphasis and inflection. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I know some Kurosawa films that you don't need to understand the exact words, you can tell what they mean just from how they're said.

But this entire argument is subjective. To each their own.

The last part is just sidestepping being able to nitpick your criticism.

When you are saying that a language sounds generic without making an informed decision... you are saying that you prefer English in general. You cannot say more than this without overstepping the whole "this is subjective and it's my tastes".

When you *specifically* criticize FE heroes for having generic voices, without specifying what exactly makes it "samey" other than "I don't speak Japanese nor have the interest in doing so", that's where we run into problems.

You are using a generalized preference to criticize a specific work. That really doesn't work.