Voice Acted Lines

Dylan Corona

32 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

The last part is just sidestepping being able to nitpick your criticism.

When you are saying that a language sounds generic without making an informed decision... you are saying that you prefer English in general. You cannot say more than this without overstepping the whole "this is subjective and it's my tastes".

When you *specifically* criticize FE heroes for having generic voices, without specifying what exactly makes it "samey" other than "I don't speak Japanese nor have the interest in doing so", that's where we run into problems.

You are using a generalized preference to criticize a specific work. That really doesn't work.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Who said anything about generic voices?

Or samey? I just said that there wasn't as much variety. That doesn't mean that the voices that are there are "generic," ie, bland or indistinct.

further, this is a comparison. "Not as much" variety is completely different from "no variety" or "not enough variety."

Edited by dragonlordsd

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Who said anything about generic voices?

Or samey? I just said that there wasn't as much variety. That doesn't mean that the voices that are there are "generic," ie, bland or indistinct.

further, this is a comparison. "Not as much" variety is completely different from "no variety" or "not enough variety."

Apologies. I thought you were continuing the earlier statements from a few pages back.

Fair enough.

However how do we compare variety when there is actually a metric?

As in the actual pool of voices that English FE heroes has actually had to have characters share.

3 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Apologies. I thought you were continuing the earlier statements from a few pages back.

Fair enough.

However how do we compare variety when there is actually a metric?

As in the actual pool of voices that English FE heroes has actually had to have characters share.

Good question. Made even more complicated by the fact that new characters are constantly being released, so it's totally possible I'll be completely wrong in a few months, and the jp voices will have a much greater variety. Idk.

I love to play with the volume up just because i love the voices acting!  I does mess with me on the characters that had a different voice actor in say Fates(it was the most recent so I still have the voices decently in mind).  That throws me off a little, but its nothing I cannot live with.  I love Cherami Leigh as Caeda but I hear other roles she has played in animes such as Fairy Tail and it's a love hate kind of thing by now.  I do love the references in their dialogue though. I want to pick a God and pray though. Lissa's voice gets to me a bit, but I loved how they made the callback to "I'm not delicate!" In Awakening.  All of Odin's quotes crack me up, his special skill quotes make me really happy though.  I really thought that Narcian had a really good voice actor and is honestly my new cannon voice for him.  As for repeating voices, I personally hear them the most in the females with Laura Bailey as Palla and Lucina, and Cherami Leigh as Cecilia, Caeda, and Gwendolyn, but I still do hear it with Matt Mercher with Chrom, Azama and Ryoma, but he was the cannon voice actor for all of them anyway.

So I switched to JP since I was wondering how Ninian sounded like. And boy, she really had me there. Her polite way of speaking which gives off a dignified vibe is a music to my ears. I'm definitely keeping with JP now.

Also, Fae is definitely way cuter in JP, even though her Eng one is not half bad either.

And Odin is voiced by Koyasu. Wished I had known this sooner.

I think VAs like Kyle Hebert, Ben Diskin, Cam Clarke, Jamieson Price and Stephanie Sheh etc. Did a great job differentiating the voices for their respective characters. That being said, there a few multiple castings that sound a tad "samey" (like Michael Sinterniklaas as Takumi and Niles, Julie Ann Taylor as Linde and Cordelia etc.) but hey. Still a pretty enjoyable cast overall though IMO. 

As for my favourite voiced lines... I personally find that everything Shanna says is rather fun to listen to honestly! Marisha Ray most certainly did a nice job there, and Cam Clarke sounds rather pleasant as Corrin too. 

Edited by HylianBelmont

3 hours ago, pianime94 said:

So I switched to JP since I was wondering how Ninian sounded like. And boy, she really had me there. Her polite way of speaking which gives off a dignified vibe is a music to my ears. I'm definitely keeping with JP now.

Also, Fae is definitely way cuter in JP, even though her Eng one is not half bad either.

And Odin is voiced by Koyasu. Wished I had known this sooner.

Uhh what. Koyasu voices Lon'qu not Odin. Or are you talking about Dio Brando?

Odin is voiced by Hidenori Takahashi.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, Ice Dragon said:
  1. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game, and
  2. Have you actually listened to the female Japanese voices in this game?

I watch anime on a weekly basis with friends from work (about 5 hours straight every Thursday night), and I know first-hand that when people listen to people speaking a foreign language, they tune out a lot of what they hear.

Sheena's voice is very obviously low-pitched; there's no way you can argue otherwise. Camilla's is very distinctive, soft, and honeyed and not something you'd normally call "high-pitched". The younger girls should have high-pitched voices, and they do, but with none of the lower-pitched undertones that plague English female voice acting that give away the actor's not-as-young-as-the-character's age (probably something to do with differences in how vocal cords develop with age for different ethnicities, but I'm no expert).

The more you understand what they are saying and the more you put the effort to listening to the voices themselves, the more different they sound, and the easier it is to pick up on those differences. That said, while I can tell the difference between Japanese male voice actors, there is definitely less variation compared to female voices, and I can't identify many by voice alone. On the other hand, the exact same can be said of English male voice actors, too.

Full seen much. Ah don't worry I can get like that but with both English and Japanese.

I'm using the JP voices since I like them, so I'm not sure how the dialogue goes in the ENG translation. I also like the choices for the characters Sayori Hayami for Shiida, Kaori Mizuhashi for Ursula and Eirika and Mai Nakahara for Sanaki. Even some of the minor VAs like Ari Ozawa and Toa Yukinari are great as well, and I would like to hear Miyuki Sawashiro perform more roles in this game besides F.Robin and Camilla.

Anyways, my favorites lines are:

Felicia:
"I keep practicing on making tea, but I keep failing..." 「紅茶を入れる練習、失敗続きです。。。」  She just sounds so disappointed, and could use a hug.
"I want to be of use to you, even though I'm very clumsy I'll do my best to serve you." 「私、あなたのお役に立ちたいなってと思うです。ドジもしまいですけどいっぱい頑張りますわね。」So sweet and cute

Selena:
"The Order's uniform is so cute, I want one!" 「特務機関のお洋服、可愛いわね!あたしも欲しーい! 」 I just love how she says the last part.
"I-It's not like I'm interested in you or anything like that!" 「 べ、別にあんたが気に入ったとかじゃないけど…! 」 Tsunderes are great

Lissa's mission start quote is great as well "I'm gonna fight as well!" 「あたしも戦うもーう!」 I just like how she says it

I hope I got these right

3 hours ago, Fei Mao said:

"The Order's uniform is so cute, I want one!" 「特務機関のお洋服、可愛いわね!あたしも欲しーい! 」 I just love how she says the last part.

The way the pitch of her voice goes up at the end is really endearing. I can see the expression on her face even though the art doesn't move.

3 hours ago, Fei Mao said:

"I-It's not like I'm interested in you or anything like that!" 「 べ、別にあんたが気に入ったとかじゃないけど…! 」 Tsunderes are great

Selena tsuns wonderfully.

1 hour ago, pianime94 said:

Yeah you got em right.

I'm also on the thought that Caeda voiced by Hayamin is a really great choice on their part.

Ah alright, thanks.

Definitely, hoping to get her on the upcoming banner even if she's not so good ATM. I hope they decide to revive the Archanea FE Anime one day

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The way the pitch of her voice goes up at the end is really endearing. I can see the expression on her face even though the art doesn't move.

Selena tsuns wonderfully.

It's like you read my mind, I have the same thought as well, I had to hear that line a couple of times because of how great it is.

Indeed.

4 minutes ago, Fei Mao said:

It's like you read my mind, I have the same thought as well, I had to hear that line a couple of times because of how great it is.

Indeed.

I'm just really fond of well-done Japanese voice acting and like geeking out about it. When voice acting is done well, you can see the characters' exact gestures and expressions even without a visual, and the sound is coming straight from their mouth and not out of a phone (i.e. matches their face, appearance, and personality). And that's what acting really is all about.

The line from Selena, the line from Hana I mentioned a few pages back, and just about everything Fae says I find myself tapping the screen over and over just to listen to.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm just really fond of well-done Japanese voice acting and like geeking out about it. When voice acting is done well, you can see the characters' exact gestures and expressions even without a visual, and the sound is coming straight from their mouth and not out of a phone (i.e. matches their face, appearance, and personality). And that's what acting really is all about.

The line from Selena, the line from Hana I mentioned a few pages back, and just about everything Fae says I find myself tapping the screen over and over just to listen to.

Tones in voices makes a world of difference in Japanese. You put it better in words than I ever could.

52 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yes definitely, I feel the same, some of my favorite JP VAs: Rie Tanaka, Atsuko Tanaka, Kana Ueda, Ayako Kawasumi, and Miyuki Sawashiro perform really well at what you listed and are also capable of doing some unexpected roles as well. I would like to geek out more about JP VAs but I probably shouldn't flood this topic too much,  I'm hoping that they'll get some roles in FEH as well.

The same with me and Felicia's lines 

Edited by Fei Mao