Will Alm Promote the same way?

So Alm's promotion in the original Gaiden, while better than Marth's, is still hilariously underwhelming. Bizarrely he's not even involved with it. Celica meets a sage who offers to increase her power but she says she doesn't need it but Alm might (Celica actually promoted already quite a bit earlier at a much more appropriate moment). Sage says okay and without being given a single piece of information about Alm, the screen flashes and suddenly a guy on the opposite side of the continent knows how to use bows. Do you think they'll keep this strange and contrived method of promotion for Alm or will they give him his own plot point to promote at. And if so, when?

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Metis said:

If it's story-based, it'll probably be when Mycen joins

Right at the final battle? Man that'd be even worse than Roy's promotion time. Unless they're giving us Mycen earlier.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Right at the final battle? Man that'd be even worse than Roy's promotion time. Unless they're giving us Mycen earlier.

I meant to say when they meet up at Sophia Castle 

I should note that another thing that makes it particularly strange is that, because it happens in Celica's route, when it actually happens in terms of Alm's journey is quite variable. If you do all the Celica stuff first it can happen at the very start of Chapter 4 for Alm or at the last handful of maps.

I'd like to see a dungeon in Alm's route that unlocks the promotion. In a game where dungeon crawling is a core feature, adding one for this purpose wouldn't seem like needless padding. Plus I'm just a fan of the earn ultimate promotion/weapon by overcoming an ancient trial that we see in previous games.

Is Nuibaba still in the game?  Because I felt that while optional, it was a part of the game I HAD to do, each playthrough.   I always thought that it was an interesting battle, and it had a very creepy narrative for the time. Plus, it gets rid of the spawning witch squads.  So, I always made sure to promote Alm just before I did that map, if only to get the Holy Bow from the Fear shrine and have Alm go ham on everyone.   The rewards?  A magic ring, and a glorious staff bot.  (I hope that she's not Berkut's girlfriend and he is not the Zeke Replacement)

Edited by Lord Tullus

This is one of two plot elements that I'd really like to see altered a bit, the other being the end of Celica's route.

I like Hark being involved with the promotion in some way, and the start of Chapter 4 is pretty much the perfect time in terms of gameplay, but it's still pretty dumb. There ought to at least be an event where Alm acknowledges the change.

Alm's promotion comes from Celica's desire to help Alm. Why would they NOT play up the Celica/Alm connection here? Golden opportunity.

44 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I should note that another thing that makes it particularly strange is that, because it happens in Celica's route, when it actually happens in terms of Alm's journey is quite variable. If you do all the Celica stuff first it can happen at the very start of Chapter 4 for Alm or at the last handful of maps.

A cutscene of some generic fight? Suddenly Alm goes all flashy because he just acquired magical-promotion powers, super cliche, whatever. With a "thanks Celica" thrown in for good measure.

Edited by Sock

6 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Is Nuibaba still in the game?  Because I felt that while optional, it was a part of the game I HAD to do, each playthrough.   I always thought that it was an interesting battle, and it had a very creepy narrative for the time. Plus, it gets rid of the spawning witch squads.  So, I always made sure to promote Alm just before I did that map, if only to get the Holy Bow from the Fear shrine and have Alm go ham on everyone.   The rewards?  A magic ring, and a glorious staff bot.  (I hope that she's not Berkut's girlfriend and he is the Zeke Replacement)

Well it also nets you Zeke himself and basically removes his chapter from your path which is pretty swell.

3 minutes ago, Sock said:

Alm's promotion comes from Celica's desire to help Alm. Why would they NOT play up the Celica/Alm connection here? Golden opportunity.

A cutscene of some generic fight? Suddenly Alm goes all flashy because he just acquired magical-promotion powers, super cliche, whatever. With a "thanks Celica" thrown in for good measure.

I meant that less in terms of plot being strange and more in terms of gameplay since it's balanced against Celica's progress rather than Alm's.

Edited by Jotari

It alaways happens to me around the Dragon Mountain, and I think it's the perfect time as well. The Hordes of Dragons arrives to rip Alm apart, but suddenly he gains a significant advanatges against them, destroying them from afar.

I don't have any problem with the timing, actually. Being able to chose when to promote was a nice choice. And having Celica being the ones that promote Alm is coherent with the game : Alm would never have succeeded without Celica's help.

4 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

It alaways happens to me around the Dragon Mountain, and I think it's the perfect time as well. The Hordes of Dragons arrives to rip Alm apart, but suddenly he gains a significant advanatges against them, destroying them from afar.

I don't have any problem with the timing, actually. Being able to chose when to promote was a nice choice. And having Celica being the ones that promote Alm is coherent with the game : Alm would never have succeeded without Celica's help.

Well it isn't really a case of choosing when to promote. At least it's not like in Sacred Stones where they give you items you can use at your leisure. Unless you know of Alm's promotion method in advance it's left completely up to happenstance. And given the way the battle system is, there's no reason to delay a promotion in Gaiden (at least in the original game).

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And given the way the battle system is, there's no reason to delay a promotion in Gaiden (at least in the original game).

Strictly speaking, Alm and Celica actually have decent growths and don't really gain much in terms of stats from promotion, so having them reach level 20 is still theoretically optimal. Alm in particular is one of the few units worth grinding since he's actually great.

This might change, of course.

2 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Strictly speaking, Alm and Celica actually have decent growths and don't really gain much in terms of stats from promotion, so having them reach level 20 is still theoretically optimal. Alm in particular is one of the few units worth grinding since he's actually great.

This might change, of course.

In theory but in practise, once Alm promotes, he'll be deadly enough and bulky enough that extra stats on him will be worth very little.

Edited by Jotari

Maybe it'll be the same way, but maybe Alm will have a cutscene where he starts to feel tingling. And everyone is like "Are you OK?" and then a flash of light then BAM promoted with nice new armor.

You know, these promotions bring up so many questions. Like, where do the horses in Eliwood and Ephraim's promotions come from? 

Anyway, there's no way they won't make a bigger deal out of it even if the promotion is unlocked the same way. They really want us to know how close Alm and Celica are, so it's a good opportunity to show it. I do think they might want to time it. Like, maybe Celica can only do it when Alm is fighting against the Zombie Dragons, triggering a cutscene. 

I think I would prefer Alm unlocking that power on his own, but so long as they don't make it as underwhelming as in Gaiden, it'll be a step up.

Considering Ephraim and Eirika are supposed to promote when they use their bracelets to reclaim the sacred stones of their home it is entirely possible that they already had mounts that belonged to them in the stables and just reclaimed them, You don't HAVE to promote them there but thats more the game being nice and not forcing you to rush to level them to 20 before the chapter they promote.

8 hours ago, Thane said:

You know, these promotions bring up so many questions. Like, where do the horses in Eliwood and Ephraim's promotions come from?

Magic. No, literally, that's it. These promotional items are magical artifacts. What's to say that the artifact doesn't just magic you up a mount?

Edited by Commander Xelon

12 hours ago, Sock said:

If it's even remotely close to anything like the three idiots from Fates DLCs, I think I'll throw up. :p
Like, I know that they are close and all, but geez.

I would prefer if Alm, Celica and thus the player, had to gain those promotions somehow. Or just hand it over.
I honestly never have been a fan of plot-related promotion. It's a nightmare to see all of your characters promoted lv 10... and your lord is unpromoted lv20.

23 minutes ago, Commander Xelon said:

Magic. No, literally, that's it. These promotional items are magical artifacts. What's to say that the artifact doesn't just magic you up a mount?

Isn't creating life like, evil magic ? :o
Or they just bought them.

1 minute ago, B.Leu said:

Isn't creating life like, evil magic ? :o
Or they just bought them.

Summoning's a well established thing in the fire emblem-verse. Also creating life isn't inherently evil, creating life that you strip free will from is evil.

On 3/28/2017 at 10:16 AM, Jotari said:

Or the army always had amble access to horses and they only learn to ride them by the time they get the promotion items.

Then how does the horse appear out of thin air??? 

Anyways, I speculate that they will handle it similar to how the original handled it (Celica talks to Nomah, promotes Alm)

Maybe they can add some cool cutscene of Alm promoting before the next battle starts

I can see it staying the same but with having Alm actually mention it, or have it trigger some kind of cutscene.