Easter event soon?

Thany

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

@Anacybele You aren't expressly telling anyone they shouldn't pull on the banner, but sometimes being so vocal about disliking a banner can be discouraging to other people. You likely won't change the opinions of people who are really excited, but some of the ones more on-the-fence might be less likely to pull when others (I'm not just singling you out; I'm aware others do this too. I'm addressing you only because you were asking why SoC keeps addressing you) are so vocal in their disappointment. 

I don't speak for @shadowofchaos of course (so correct me if I misinterpreted you), but I believe what he's trying to say is that you don't need to share your opinion on every banner. He'd be a lot less prone to calling you out if you refrained from expressing disappointment or exasperation ("can't believe I have to skip the banner AGAIN") on every banner you weren't fond of and instead just wait until a banner you DO like comes up. 

However, I don't want to repress your voice or anything. You have just as much of a right to share your opinion as the other people expressing their disappointment. The suggestion I have for you then is to make a qualifying statement of some sort. Perhaps instead of saying "I won't be pulling in this banner, and I'm disappointed" you could add "I'm won't be pulling in this banner, but I'm happy for the Elibe fans that wanted X characters" or "I won't be pulling in this banner, but good luck to the people who ARE excited for these characters" or something along those lines. Those may seem like small, maybe even insignificant changes, but I think they would go a long way towards improving the reception you get. 

Anyways, I hope this doesn't come off as overly harsh or patronizing or anything. It's not pleasant for you or for anyone else on the forum when you get called out and arguments start up, so I'm simply trying to minimize that. 

You pretty much expressed it well for me.

Ana, you might have a right to voice disappointment for the banners... but when you repeatedly do it for every single one and in such a vocal manner... people are going to wonder "why are you even in this thread?"

While it might be somewhat blunt for me to say this... but as soon as the people complaining about the lack of Ike left in the Ninian banner thread... we actually started having more fun and meaningful discussions.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

And no, of course not. But then why is it okay for you and others to take offense to my complaining? Why am I not allowed to take the same kind of offense?

For me, when you keep on griping about Elibe, that kinda gets me since it's one of my favourites and was my first Fire Emblem game. I agree, the game should have some Tellius and Magvel (I like them, too), but it sort of sets my back up a bit. I think the suggestions made before (urgh, another banner I have to skip - good luck for those going for it) would be a lot better, personally ^.^'' It shows that you don't like x,y,z banner, but you're not trying to put a downer on it for the people who do.

3 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

For me, when you keep on griping about Elibe, that kinda gets me since it's one of my favourites and was my first Fire Emblem game. I agree, the game should have some Tellius and Magvel (I like them, too), but it sort of sets my back up a bit. I think the suggestions made before (urgh, another banner I have to skip - good luck for those going for it) would be a lot better, personally ^.^'' It shows that you don't like x,y,z banner, but you're not trying to put a downer on it for the people who do.

Hmm. Yeah, I do see a difference there. I guess when I hate something that much though, it makes it hard to want to wish anyone good luck with it.

But believe me, I never mean to discourage or offend anybody. I wouldn't do that, not on purpose.

But...good luck to anyone pulling from it anyway. I only hope these units aren't more Takumis or anything though.

Edited by Anacybele

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

People can say "sexy" without really meaning sexualized though. Like, I sometimes say RD Ike is sexy, but it's definitely not because of any sexualization in his design. I just think he has very good looks.

Actually yes there is. Male sexualization and female sexualization are different because they appeal to different types of people, and are different in body type. Females when sexualization often have their breasts, butts, and legs focused on for the sexualization. As seen by Lucina and Camilla, who both have tights on and cleavage visible.

on the other hand, males are sexualized through muscles. Have you seen half of the Marvel comics male characters? They all look like Dwayne Johnson on steroids, and often have their arms shown or are wearing an outfit that puts more focus on their muscles (like Captain America's traditional costume). Even characters like Peter Parker, who is supposed to be the average white male in either high school or in a middle class job (depending on what comics) looks like he belongs in the body building hall of fame. 

Believe it or not, but Ike in RD is sexualized. Look at him, he looks like an Olympic athlete. Not even most soldiers and fighters in medieval days were as built as he is. He even has his arm bare, which is in no way practical for armor. Nor any of his armor in reality. If we wanted realistic armor for Ike, considering his style of combat, he would likely be wearing a breastplate and chain armor. Not the most appealing looking thing in the world, and definitely doesn't show his muscles all that well.

Males are sexualized in media. Maybe not as much as Females, but it's pretty damn close. Just look at the recent comic book movies. Almost every single one of them have a scene with a male character without a shirt or in a scene showing of their muscles. Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy (he was shirtless in the prison scene, which wasn't exactly needed to tell the story), Chris Evans in Civil War (him trying to keep getting helicopter room flying off, entire scene almost exclusively focused on him practically flexing), Chris Hemsworth in Thor the Dark World (he had a banging scene in it, with no shirt on. Not exactly needed for the story), in Man of Steel Superman has a scene where he is shirtless and looking for a new shirt (not exactly a needed scene of a superman movie). This is extends to video games as well, which is a whole other bag of worms to sort through.

so without derailing this thread further, and writing a post almost fit for an entire article, I will leave it here. Males are sexualized. Maybe not as much as females, but it's pretty close. Sex Sells. It always has, and always will. 

And I have seen far more skimpy outfits at my local mall compared to what Lucina and Camilla are wearing. They aren't that bad.

Edited by Tolvir

4 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Actually yes there is. Male sexualization and female sexualization are different because they appeal to different types of people, and are different in body type. Females when sexualization often have their breasts, butts, and legs focused on for the sexualization. As seen by Lucina and Camilla, who both have tights on and cleavage visible.

on the other hand, males are sexualized through muscles. Have you seen half of the Marvel comics male characters? They all look like Dwayne Johnson on steroids, and often have their arms shown or are wearing an outfit that puts more focus on their muscles (like Captain America's traditional costume). Even characters like Peter Parker, who is supposed to be the average white male in either high school or in a middle class job (depending on what comics) looks like he belongs in the body building hall of fame. 

Blieve it or not, but Ike in RD is sexualized. Look at him, he looks like an Olympic athlete. He even has his arm bare, which is in no way practical for armor. Nor any of his armor in reality. If we wanted realistic armor for Ike, considering his style of combat, he would likely be wearing a breastplate and chain armor. Not the most appealing looking thing in the world, and definitely doesn't show his muscles all that well.

I just said that I know there's male sexualization. It's not as blatant as females though, because they don't have as much to sexualize.

RD Ike is NOT sexualized. One bare arm does not equal sexualized. He's not wearing skin-tight clothes with his abs partially bare or anything like Odin is. THAT is seuxalization of a male. Practicality is another matter entirely.

Also, by your logic, Deke in FE6 is a much better example of male sexualization, because he's entirely shirtless! But men in real life go shirtless all the time, whether they're muscular or not. At the pool, out mowing the lawn in some warm weather, etc. Not really sexualization, just liking not having a shirt for the circumstances.

Edited by Anacybele

35 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Have you seen Odin?

No, seriously. Have you seen Odin?

Plus, if we're going by "amount of skin shown", chrom and lucina are almost exactly the same. The point is how form fitting the outfits are. And yes, chrom's really draws attention to his figure. It's.... Very, very tight on the pants.

and for that matter, the shirt too. I mean, you can actually see the outline of his pecs. That is, like, European model level of Form fitting.

Saizo's pec tease (and damn they're chiseled). It's like Ursula's cleavage window. You just can't stop looking at it.

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Hmm. Yeah, I do see a difference there. I guess when I hate something that much though, it makes it hard to want to wish anyone good luck with it.

But believe me, I never mean to discourage or offend anybody. I wouldn't do that, not on purpose.

But...good luck to anyone pulling from it anyway. I only hope these units aren't more Takumis or anything though.

I feel ya. I try to keep in my Est rants every time I pull her. I hate her, but she has fans so I have to hold it in otherwise I'll go off on the full blown ten minute rant that my friends get xD

5 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Believe it or not, but Ike in RD is sexualized. Look at him, he looks like an Olympic athlete. Not even most soldiers and fighters in medieval days were as built as he is. He even has his arm bare, which is in no way practical for armor. Nor any of his armor in reality. If we wanted realistic armor for Ike, considering his style of combat, he would likely be wearing a breastplate and chain armor. Not the most appealing looking thing in the world, and definitely doesn't show his muscles all that well.

Males are sexualized in media. Maybe not as much as Females, but it's pretty damn close. Just look at the recent comic book movies. Almost every single one of them have a scene with a male character without a shirt or in a scene showing of their muscles. Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy (he was shirtless in the prison scene, which wasn't exactly needed to tell the story), Chris Evans in Civil War (him trying to keep getting helicopter room flying off, entire scene almost exclusively focused on him practically flexing), Chris Hemsworth in Thor the Dark World (he had a banging scene in it, with no shirt on. Not exactly needed for the story), in Man of Steel Superman has a scene where he is shirtless and looking for a new shirt (not exactly a needed scene of a superman movie). This is extends to video games as well, which is a whole other bag of worms to sort through.

so without derailing this thread further, and writing a post almost fit for an entire article, I will leave it here. Males are sexualized. Maybe not as much as females, but it's pretty close. Sex Sells. It always has, and always will. 

And I have seen far more skimpy outfits at my local mall compared to what Lucina and Camilla are wearing. They aren't that bad.

I think that's still meant more for the male gaze, though. A lot of female fans, especially those of anime stylings, tend to prefer skinnier guys (note: not all) whereas men look up to the muscles more. I actually prefer PoR Ike to RD Ike looks-wise. The full beefcake look put me right off :/

RD Ike is NOT sexualized. One bare arm does not equal sexualized. He's not wearing skin-tight clothes with his abs partially bare or anything like Odin is. THAT is seuxalization of a male.

I think the "sexualized" term refers more to fan service, as in, service meant to appeal to a demographic of fans. If you find intensely masculine guys sexy, then that's fanservice appealing to your sexual preferences. Hawkeye wears less than Camilla, and that's fan service / sexualization depending on how you look at it.

To me, Ike's not sexy because i don't find his artwork sexualized, but there are other attractive male characters Virion, anybody that I can outright call sexualized. Chrom's butt-crotch is a bit silly but not sexy. 

Just now, Cute Chao said:

I think that's still meant more for the male gaze, though. A lot of female fans, especially those of anime stylings, tend to prefer skinnier guys (note: not all) whereas men look up to the muscles more. I actually prefer PoR Ike to RD Ike looks-wise. The full beefcake look put me right off :/

Really? I thought more women would prefer some muscle and meat on their men. To me, skinny guys often look unhealthy and like they need to eat more. Not that I think PoR Ike looks like this, no way since there has to be SOME way he's strong enough to wield Ragnell, but still.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I just said that I know there's male sexualization. It's not as blatant as females though, because they don't have as much to sexualize.

RD Ike is NOT sexualized. One bare arm does not equal sexualized. He's not wearing skin-tight clothes with his abs partially bare or anything like Odin is. THAT is seuxalization of a male. Practicality is another matter entirely.

Also, by your logic, Deke in FE6 is a much better example of male sexualization, because he's entirely shirtless! But men in real life go shirtless all the time, whether they're muscular or not. At the pool, out mowing the lawn in some warm weather, etc. Not really sexualization, just liking not having a shirt for the circumstances.

I honestly dont know what male sexualization looks like in games like these but as long as they have more camillas with cleavage im 100% ok :) and more than willing to support the game further :3 I do want an elise on a flier unit though that would be amazing

Just now, Anacybele said:

To me, skinny guys often look unhealthy and like they need to eat more.

Welcome to the "What women like in men" thread, where all we talk about is how we like our men and how we don't too!

Spoiler

Stay on topic

Spoiler

Technically it could be on topic because it's related to the characters somewhat but still

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Really? I thought more women would prefer some muscle and meat on their men. To me, skinny guys often look unhealthy and like they need to eat more. Not that I think PoR Ike looks like this, no way since there has to be SOME way he's strong enough to wield Ragnell, but still.

I think PoR Ike looks just about right to me. It does depend on the fanbase, though, but you'll note that a lot of anime fangirls tend to squee more over the pretty-boy guys rather than the muscular... and many of the superheroes veer towards the 'too muscular side'.

That being said, it depends on the exaggeration. In real life, I doubt many girls would say no to the movie's version of Thor xD

...In real life... I still go for the skinny/somewhat toned guys ^.^''

But either way, those guys in the comics aren't really sexualised for females but made more 'powerful' for the male gaze, still, since they're meant to be seen as 'ideal' men and give them someone to look up to.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There's muscle like how Chris Hemsworth has muscles, which appeal to a wider demographic, and how Marvel/DC comics draws their dudes, which can still appeal to (a smaller demographic of women, because subjectivity) but it's not really meant to appeal to women so much as showing off how strong these dudes are. A lot of women are honestly put off by excess muscle, but it does differ from person to person. 

I mean I appreciate a good Coipel Thor because artistically I think muscle on any gender is beautiful but that is not drawn for a female fantasy that is drawn to show how fucking strong Thor is and granted it's ok in Thor's case because Thor's character warrants being that buff, but like, Iron man drawn super ripped always weirds me out. Lean Tony Stark? Sure. Beefcake? Works for Thor and Cap, but I don't think it works for him.

But if you compare Chris Hemsworth to Coipel's rendition of Thor, there's a drastic difference.

Edited by Thor Odinson

1 minute ago, Cute Chao said:

I think PoR Ike looks just about right to me. It does depend on the fanbase, though, but you'll note that a lot of anime fangirls tend to squee more over the pretty-boy guys rather than the muscular... and many of the superheroes veer towards the 'too muscular side'.

That being said, it depends on the exaggeration. In real life, I doubt many girls would say no to the movie's version of Thor xD

But either way, those guys in the comics aren't really sexualised for females but made more 'powerful' for the male gaze, still, since they're meant to be seen as 'ideal' men and give them someone to look up to.

Hmm, I see... I guess it's more a thing with anime fans, which I can't really say I'm one of. I like a few animes, but I don't watch a whole lot of them. One reason being that many seem too mature for my tastes (I'm not into heavy violence or blood or gore or anything like that), and another that I just haven't seen many to be interested in.

But yeah, even I have a line for muscularity. Too much muscle is definitely just ew, imo. xP

But back on topic, I'm now tempted to pull from the banner because Chrom actually looks cute to me here... ugh. :P

Hmm, I see... I guess it's more a thing with anime fans, which I can't really say I'm one of. I like a few animes, but I don't watch a whole lot of them. One reason being that many seem too mature for my tastes (I'm not into heavy violence or blood or gore or anything like that), and another that I just haven't seen many to be interested in.

But yeah, even I have a line for muscularity. Too much muscle is definitely just ew, imo. xP

But back on topic, I'm now tempted to pull from the banner because Chrom actually looks cute to me here... ugh. :P

Dooooo iiiiit.

Chrom is pretty adorable here to me xD I'll probably get the girls but oh well. They've got cool weapons, and I don't mind how they look. Camilla's always been sadly overly sexualised while Lucina isn't really wearing something I wouldn't xD For sexualisation, the bits that get me in FE are the main games and the fact that the women keep forgetting their trousers. I don't even see how it looks sexy. It's just... silly.

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Dooooo iiiiit.

Chrom is pretty adorable here to me xD I'll probably get the girls but oh well. They've got cool weapons, and I don't mind how they look. Camilla's always been sadly overly sexualised while Lucina isn't really wearing something I wouldn't xD For sexualisation, the bits that get me in FE are the main games and the fact that the women keep forgetting their trousers. I don't even see how it looks sexy. It's just... silly.

Yeah, and see, I don't want to pull the girls, but I always do full summons to take full advantage of my orbs because you never know if I might also end up with Ryoma or Ephraim or Takumi. xP

But I can just see myself opening some greens and winding up with rubbish instead of Chrom while I open other colors and find those bunny girls and just facedesk... >_<

And I might not even HAVE any green orbs to open! I would have to hope for that first.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and see, I don't want to pull the girls, but I always do full summons to take full advantage of my orbs because you never know if I might also end up with Ryoma or Ephraim or Takumi. xP

But I can just see myself opening some greens and winding up with rubbish instead of Chrom while I open other colors and find those bunny girls and just facedesk... >_<

And I might not even HAVE any green orbs to open! I would have to hope for that first.

Well, even if you do summon the girls, there's the chance they'll be great units :D

Camilla's the flying mage, so she already has that going for. And with how good vanilla Lucina is, I wouldn't be surprised if bunny Lucina is the next coming of Linde. 

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Well, even if you do summon the girls, there's the chance they'll be great units :D

Camilla's the flying mage, so she already has that going for. And with how good vanilla Lucina is, I wouldn't be surprised if bunny Lucina is the next coming of Linde. 

Yeah, I was just thinking earlier that I wouldn't be surprised if Camilla ended up being Takumi 2.0 because of the flying mage thing.

I'll say one thing about Camilla this time, she doesn't appear to be going around in her panties, at least. I still think she's pretty sexualized in the bunny outfit, but it might also be a bit more modest than her usual one.

8 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

God, words will never suffice to tell you how much I love you and you opinion. 

Yeah, pretty boys are what females aims for and manly men are what meant to be role models for male audience. 

And even in real life... The kind of guys I like are the skinny but a bit toned ones lmao

Also, Castlevania. Nevermind that franchise's golden era was when Ayami Kojima was the charatcer designer and when she leaves, the fandom leaves as well xD 

Tbh I'm not a big fan of what they're doing for the Easter event. The costumes themselves are adorable because they fit for Easter but, at least in my opinion, I'm thinking "... these characters once had dignity. Now they're wearing bunny outfits."

I'll still try to pull though because ayy limited edition and I don't have any of the special characters yet.. and I would lol every time I looked at their outfit.

Anyways, I'm sure there are still plenty of fans that like what they've decided to do haha.

14 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Yes and no. Sure it still fits the male fantasy because its the way some males wish they could look (and especially their target demographic which would be somewhere around 14-25), but to say it isn't intended for the female fans (especially when you look at the movies, which is what I was mostly referring to. What you said definitely pertains to the actual comics more).

But that's the thing, people find different things attractive. Its why the idea is inevitably flawed, because it is literally impossible to make someone appealing to every person. Anyway, enough on that topic, derailed the thread enough.

Knowing my luck, I will pull 8 Xanders before finally getting a Lucina or Camilla. I have terrible luck with anything RNG, and it gets even worst for special events like this.

I prefer Cam's silly bunny outfit to her default outfit. Pairing armor(ed corset) with a thong looks odd, and she's protected against thigh chafing here!

I hope I roll her. I want a bunny flying mage. I'd probably be happy if I roll any of them just because I really like bunnies---Chrom is the one I want the least because I don't really see what he'd bring to my team and I guess his outfit is the most vanilla? But Lucina's hat is beyond adorable, I just want a Xander regardless and Xander looks flamboyant af which is hilarious, and Camilla feels like she'd have the most utility as a unit.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Speaking of Xander and carrots, in the original Japanese Siegbert / Xander support, Xander tells Siegbert to think of people (crowds he need to give a speech to, in context) as carrots, and that will help his anxiety about speaking to people. In the localization, that was changed to bunnies.

Funny how fitting that is now.

Not a fan of this banner. I'd only be interested in Camilla because she's a flying mage, but ehhh. Those outfits are not appealing to me. And I'd risk wasting orbs on Chrom.