Your thoughts on Laslow, Odin, And Selena :)

Dominance90

Hello everyone.

I've seen many lists regarding viability of all the characters from Fire Emblem Fates and in many of those lists, Laslow, Odin, and Selena appear very low in terms of overall quality.
As someone who has been playing FE for a while and having loved the previous entry, Awakening, I've taken a liking to this trio. 

Spoiler

to who they actually are. Inigo, Owain and Severa where three of my favourite characters from awakening.

As you all know, they are indeed a bit subpar units if kept on their classes / master classes . 

So in Revelations i changed them up quite a bit so that their class matches their personality a bit more and what I've ended up with is :

Laslow(185 rating) - Lodestar - i feel like this class suits his "dancer" style. ( will give him the Hagakure blade once he reaches S rank ) 

17619109_1471366689572831_1745348972_n.jpg.502c7927f59b2778bb3e05d24fdbddb0.jpg

Odin (165 rating) - Vanguard  -  Odin's wrath makes vanguard the perfect class for him, especially after he defeats an enemy and throws the sword into the ground 
(his weapons are the hand axe, killer axe, silver sword, and Venge katana, respectively)

17571319_1471366552906178_2039786010_o.thumb.jpg.c856fa2b5a8eecbe59f13afe7718af2e.jpg

Selena(146 rating) - Great Lord - Even though this class Isn't as fitting for her personality  i feel like she does and looks great as  a Great Lord.

17622595_1471366539572846_2075548302_o.thumb.jpg.37cb13d0fce42f4b16c549067718e652.jpg

With this, the three became top tier characters in my group. Which you can see in the images I've posted. 

Even though they're not perfectly tuned nor do i intend to farm for them to become unstoppable beasts with the perfect sets of skills, since I didn't do castle battles to get them. 

What are your thoughts on this trio ?

I've yet to do the DLC chapters on which they star in by the way. I'll do that once i finish Revelations ( just cleared Chapter 26 ).

Thanks for reading , have a nice day :) !

I am playing Conquest right now (I’m on chapter 24), and I don’t use Odin, Laslow, or Selena, but I regret not using Laslow. I need one more unit on my permanent team, and since he is underleveled, I just use Gunter or Leo. I like all three of these units, though, personality wise. All of them are very funny and entertaining. I just like Laslow more, and Odin the least.

Well, i use the trio too, here are the class i use on my main file:

Laslow: Vanguard.

Skills: aether, tomebreaker,rally spectrum, vantage and rend heaven

Offensive rally use.

Wife: Felicia(She give speed and resistance bonus)

Odin:Dark knight

Skills: wary fighter,aether,quixotic , vantage and ignis.

I choose wary fighter since dark knight is a slow class and prevent be double attack, also i equip him with lighting and his personal tome.

Wife: Elise (For more movement and magic bonus)

Selena:

Personal favorite.

Class: Hero or Swordmaster.

Skills: Aether, vantage, quixotic, awakening and lethality

Quixotic help her alot in activation of skills plus awakening she became a deadly machine.

Husband: Avatar (+strength -luck) his final class Norh noble this claras give her str, magic ,skill,speed and resistance.

Also you can use lazlow as rally his personal skill is really good.

Odin is hybrid class try ti exploit it, grandmaster and dark knight suit him well.

Selena is a tank but lacks offensive skills you need to get her skills with high chance of activation like rend heaven since she have low hp, attack and skill, reclass her to hero to solve those main problems and equip her brave sword if you fear that the foe double her.

Edited by Sieghart

I wouldn't call Laslow as a Hero subpar in any way. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the better units in Conquest, even without messing with reclassing at all.

He's great. Not only with high strength, high speed, and good avoid, once you get bast his original bout of fragility in his Conquest recruiting chapter and he's got some good levels on him. (Not speaking of Revelation, because it's obvious how screwed he and a bunch of other units are there...) Good Fortune is a great skill, though it's not completely reliable, it could mean the difference of wasting a heal use or not.

By endgame, my Laslow was doubling, critting and killing everything with a bronze axe. It was beautiful to behold.

But yeah, Odin and Selena...definitely not impressive.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

I wouldn't call Laslow as a Hero subpar in any way. I'd go so far as to say he's one of the better units in Conquest, even without messing with reclassing at all.

He's great. Not only with high strength, high speed, and good avoid, once you get bast his original bout of fragility in his Conquest recruiting chapter and he's got some good levels on him. (Not speaking of Revelation, because it's obvious how screwed he and a bunch of other units are there...) Good Fortune is a great skill, though it's not completely reliable, it could mean the difference of wasting a heal use or not.

By endgame, my Laslow was doubling, critting and killing everything with a bronze axe. It was beautiful to behold.

But yeah, Odin and Selena...definitely not impressive.

Oh boy...laslow to me was terrible. Can't even survive one hit and his strength is terrible. I'd prefer Peri over him if you asked me...how on earth did you manage to make him that good?

Odin is ok....nothing special and nothing that great. Nothing compared to Leo just average...assuming you're only using his starting class and his promotion and not him being a samurai which I haven't done.

I never bothered using Selena in Conquest alone though I might want to revisit Conquest if only because she did decently in my Revelation playthrough.

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Oh boy...laslow to me was terrible. Can't even survive one hit and his strength is terrible. I'd prefer Peri over him if you asked me...how on earth did you manage to make him that good?

Really? You must have gotten RNG-screwed to hell with him, then. To me Peri was mediocre as hell. Couldn't kill anything, took too much damage from everything, all of that. There was no reason to use her when every other unit did her job better for me.

Just looking at his average growths (for Mercenary)

HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res
60% 60% 0% 65% 45% 60% 45% 30%

Yeah...for a low strength Laslow you got RNG screwed to hell. Even his defense is decent, and his HP is high.

Edited by Extrasolar

7 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Really? You must have gotten RNG-screwed to hell with him, then. To me Peri was mediocre as hell. Couldn't kill anything, took too much damage from everything, all of that. There was no reason to use her when every other unit did her job better for me.

Just looking at his average growths (for Mercenary)

HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res
60% 60% 0% 65% 45% 60% 45% 30%

Yeah...for a low strength Laslow you got RNG screwed to hell. Even his defense is decent, and his HP is high.

The thing is that whenever I use him, enemies tend to half his HP so easily unlike others like Camilla or Xander who can take lots of hits. I can understand Odin giving defense problems but I dunno...to me, Laslow on my first playthrough with Conquest didn't seem to do a whole lot.

To be frank, I didn't use him and Peri at all in Conquest. I mean...who cares about that when Keaton tops them both?

Edited by Harvey

As units, I can't say, I didn't play Conquest.

But in terms of the actual characters, I don't care about them at all and wish they weren't in the game. And this is coming from someone who really liked Inigo and Severa. I simply don't like seeing characters shoehorned into a game for the sake of popularity and fanservice. I'd rather original characters took their places. If I wanted to see more of them, I'd go back and play Awakening or hope for a sequel that features them or something. Fates was meant to be unrelated to previous games and not a sequel to anything.

Edited by Anacybele

I really, really, REALLY like all three of them. It's a shame Laslow had to have such a crappy daughter, though. And it's also a shame how they have to kiss the Nohrian Royals' asses all the time...

This is how I used them in my most recent playthrough of Revelation:

Laslow - Hero

Skills: Warding Blow, Sol, Aegis, Axebreaker, Shurikenbreaker

Wife: Azura

A+ Buddy: Xander

Odin - Sorcerer

Skills: Tomefaire, Sol, Malefic Aura, Life and Death, Shurikenbreaker

Wife: Orochi

A+ Buddy: Laslow

Selena - Bow Knight

Skills: Bowfaire, Luna (because, ya know... her name and all), Trample, Point Blank, Swordbreaker

Husband: Xander (she's one of the best mothers for Siegbert, in my opinion)

A+ Buddy: Beruka

Odin, Laslow, and their kids are pretty insane unit wise. Selena is the definition of an average unit.

Character wise Odin has some of the most intense support convo feel's in the game while Laslow and Selena are both reasonably well written characters.

Can't comment on personalities, never recruited them in Awakening and never bothered to read anything in Fates.

From a gameplay perspective. Odin- an oddball who can be a solid Nostank if left as is, or go SM for a usable rarity on CQ. Selena and Laslow are your two Mercenaries, and each is distinct but balanced from each other. Ninja is an interesting Heart choice on CQ, and Sky Knight, though not as good due to E-rank issues, is nice as well. It was an interesting move to give them Hoshido classes.

What a shame the BR Awakening scions are second generation only. I would have loved seeing them with Nohrian heart classes (Fighter Asugi, Knight Rhajat, and Dark Mage Caeldori). Though you do get Felikob, Silas, and Scarlet if you want Nohrian classes in CQ.

Selena in conquest is pretty similar to Selena in Heroes, barely enough offenses, excellent speed (15 base speed 60% growth, she's crazy), and absurd bulk for a sword unit. (55% Def growth is crazy, and 35% Res isn't bad, either.) Has the pegasus knight line if you wanted to give her a spear for some reason, but Bow-Knight is probably best for all the bloody Ninjas in late-game.

Laslow suffers from prioritizing the wrong stat (Str over Spd, you can fix Str with steel weapons and forging and pair-ups, you can't fix speed in Conquest where 90% of the pair-ups give Str/Mag rather than Spd) and joining 3 chapters after Selena with similar bases (13 base speed and 45% growth, and he joins AFTER Selena), but still a pretty alright unit. Not great, not bad, you can use him if you want, you can not use him and not lose anything. Personal means he does slightly better than other units as a Rally-bot, but Conquest has Rallyman as a generic so *shrugg*.

Odin is plain fun, growths are a mixed bag and can ruin him if you get unlucky, but he usually ends up a nice, beefy wall that even doubles if you get lucky. (55 Hp\45 Def\30 Res might not be Selena tier, but he's damn bulky.) If you change him to Samurai he doubles right out of the box and ends up being the few pair-ups that give Spd in Conquest, again his growths may or may not screw him, but, luckily, Str is easier to fix in Conquest than Fate, thanks to absurd number of +Str pair-ups. (55% Spd growth and 12 speed at level 5 as Samurai means he'll never have speed problems.)

Laslow (and Inigo, by extension) is one of my favorite characters in the entire franchise. 

Odin (and Owain) is also great. Selena is well-written too. 

As units, they're all pretty good in their own right (even if "my kid is the best unit ever" is Odin's strongest point, it's still a point in his favor) 

@joshcja

Level 5 Odin as a Samurai has only 1 less speed than level 12 Laslow. (And Odin has 10% higher growths for speed as Samurai, he's tied even as dark mage.)

Zerkers are nice, yes, but +3 speed (Zerker pair-up) isn't a good cushion to being speed screwed. It's not JUST the class pair-up boni, Charlotte is basically the only physical unit with speed in her personal pair-up bonuses, and she's more or less reserved for Xander. (Selena also has 2 speed in her personal bonus, as well as 1 point in strength, but everyone else has to choose between giving any strength at all or giving two points of speed.)

Birthright everyone has oodles of speed in their personal pair-up boni AND class pair-up boni, in Conquest it's Charlotte and Selena if you wanted Str & Speed.

Edited by DehNutCase

On ch. 10 of my second conquest playthrough...

Laslow was amazing in my first. He went to hero to bow knight back to hero. He and Xander did amazing jobs of holding down the fort when everyone else died. Unfortunately Selena (Laslows wife) and Odin fell to the wayside.

in this playthrough, I obviously haven't unlocked laslow yet. Just got Selena and I don't think I'm gonna use her. Odin, however, is a machine of death. If he's defending any sort of area it's pretty much impossible at this point for enemies to get through. This happened all through the Port Town of Dia chapter, it was solely Odin defending the south (with his pair-up Nyx). They hit him, he damages them and heals himself with Nosferatu. A never ending cycle of pain and Odin quotes :)

I like the idea of making Laslow a Lodestar, Dancing Blade especially seems to suit him.

MN Lafast/Solaid is really sick with a Harlot marriage. Gamble (and obviously Hp+5) are unironically good on them.

Why have we not mentioned Selena's amazing bow knight palate. It's like the main reason to use her.

You can stack over +20 speed in CQ without touching a wing, seriously doubling is never an issue. (HarlotXander is a meme)

Edited by joshcja

I originally didn't like the thoughts of them being in the game, due to not wanting copy/paste - but I do like how they were implemented and it was sort of good to see them again. I liked that they were still them, in the end ^.^ The other three Awakening characters felt ham-fisted, but these felt fine.

As units, I found it hard to use Odin, who just didn't seem to want to do anything for me, and I tend to use males so I didn't use Selena. I remember my Laslow being pretty good, though, but I couldn't give specifics. I love using him so I would even if it was a grind... may be a tad biased xD

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

MN Lafast/Solaid is really sick with a Harlot marriage. Gamble (and obviously Hp+5) are unironically good on them.

Why have we not mentioned Selena's amazing bow knight palate. It's like the main reason to use her.

You can stack over +20 speed in CQ without touching a wing, seriously doubling is never an issue. (HarlotXander is a meme)

Are you talking about DLC stuff or massive rally usage?

I personally play without any of the dragon gate or the wi-fi crystal thing, as a 'worst case scenario' kind of thing.

Edit: @Cute Chao Odin's problem is that dark mage has basically the worst bases of any class in the entire game, so his great (300%+ I think) growths need to cover for that, and cover quickly, and you'll probably need to keep him tonic-ed until promotion if he stays dark mage. If you reclass him to samurai immediately, however, he has 12 speed. Twelve, speed. Laslow, who joins in chapter 13, at level 12, has 13 speed. Odin is in chapter 8, level 5. He also gets 4 str, 1 hp, 2 skill, and 1 luck, it's basically a promotion's worth of stats. Dark mage is villager levels of shit, bases wise.

Edited by DehNutCase

7 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Are you talking about DLC stuff or massive rally usage?

I personally play without any of the dragon gate or the wi-fi crystal thing, as a 'worst case scenario' kind of thing.

No. Stat/Damage stacking is just that strong.

Mess hall+Pairup+Tonic+Song+Rally+footwork+Dance+skill/weapon adds.

Edited by joshcja

3 minutes ago, joshcja said:

No.

Mess hall+Pairup+Tonic+Song+Rally+footwork+Dance+skill/weapon adds.

What weapon adds? Only ones I can think of on the top of my head is the raider line, and those involve the crystal thing I never touch. Same with mess hall, but most people allow castle visits for food & forge minerals, so I won't count it.

Edited by DehNutCase

18 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

What weapon adds? Only ones I can think of on the top of my head is raider, and those involve the crystal thing I never touch. Same with mess hall, but most people allow castle visits for food & forge minerals, so I won't count it.

Pony tome, Yato, etc. Raider axe/tome/knife are castle adds though by the time you get them they are rather weak unless you hard fish. Similarly you "can" fill up on food without visiting.

(Since I'm all the way off topic already Kaze is arguably the best Xander support. Move/Skill/Speed are way better than Str/Speed if you chose to use dracoxander midgame.)

On topic uuuuh, The Odin X Selena support is a hilarious Awakening DLC commercial. Odin has the 3rd highest total growthrate in Fates. SM Odin works but Sorc is universally "better" at using the SM skilltree. By universally better I mean "Is completely broken".

Edited by joshcja

I find all three useful. I personally didn't use Odin all that much, but I recently did a play through with him as a sword master and he did really well. He had a good balance of strength and magic which allowed him to use magic weapons quite effectively as well, which was nice.

Selena is one of my favorite units in the game. I have used her on every playthrough of Conquest and Revelation. I don't reclass her all that much, but she was great as a Hero and as a Bow Knight. 

Laslow was was really good on my first Conquest run. Had him as just a Hero and he did quite well. I like him but recent runs through the game I haven't used him all that much. He takes a lot of work to make him useable for PvP/My Castle battles so I tend to just use Selena in his place.

overall I really liked the trio here. I used them in Awakening as well, so I wasn't against seeing them again, I actually enjoyed it. In a way I hope it becomes a running gag for the series much like Anna. Maybe them as DLC content would be fun for FE Switch, and I really hope they will be in Warriors.