The pronunciation of Serenes

Dragoncat

How do you pronounce it?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce it?

• Sehr-eens
    • Sehr-in-us
    • Other

I've always pronounced it as if the word "serene" was a noun and it was plural, so sehr-eens. The RD narrator says sehr-in-us but he also pronounces a lot of things weirdly and has a strange accent imo. Pronouncing it the way I do makes more sense, it's supposed to be a serene place and the herons are serene.

Are you in the camp that thinks the RD narrator's accent and pronunciation is wierd, or do you think every pronunciation of his has to be canon?

I use the official pronunciation, of course... "SAIR-ehn-ess" Just go play RD and you'll hear it this way. xP

EDIT: Oh, you mention the RD one. I don't think RD's pronunciations are weird at all, really. I like pretty much every one of them except Geoffrey. I've NEVER heard his name said this way.

Edited by Anacybele

This is how I go about calling it: by saying Serenes ( the word serene) you're making it sound like it's Serenes' Forest like a person owns the place but if you pronounce it Sair-ren-is Forest, it sounds like an actual location. It doesn't matter really, we all know what you're saying anyway.

Its just like how I say Alm. I say Al-m, but it's really pronounced Ohl-m.

Hehe, I generally pronounce fictional names whatever. I don't even bother figuring out what the "official" is supposed to be.

Although it can be a little awkward when somebody's saying "se-reens" and I suddenly say "se-reh-nes".

Or more often, since Pokemon is more popular, I'm always saying "mill-o-tic" for Milotic, while most people I know call it "mai-lo-tic".

I'm well aware of the correct pronunciation, and try to use it when I'm paying attention. It sounds really dumb to me though, so I usually use the wrong-but-easier one whenever I'm not thinking too hard because it feels much more natural. (Another instance of this is the Pokémon Illumise, which is supposed to end in "mee-zay" but I don't care enough about it to justify the extra syllable from "mize.")

This usually ends up resulting in a strange circumstance where I pronounce the forest proper correctly and pronounce the website as a pluralized serene. It's fairly rare that I need to talk about either in the real world, though, so this mostly only affects my thoughts.

On 28/03/2017 at 9:55 PM, TheFreelancerSeal said:

I've largely given up trying to pronounce things, but I pronounce it as kind of a mix between the two - sehr - en - ess

That's the one I use, too!

• 5 months later...