Creating a Rp template

Slixer

Hello there! Long time lurker but a rare poster, so I'm hoping I've posted this in the right area.... If not then hopefully I can be directed to the right place.

For the longest of times I've dwelled upon the idea of making my own form based roleplay utilising maps and stats and all that good stuff and while I can make simple spread sheets for the combat side I find myself struggling on the map side of things, more precisely in making them easy to update and such and so I was prompted to post here in hopes some of the more experienced DMs could help a foolish noob get better so that I to may one day become a suitable DM.

The area in particular is the wonder if their is some way or program that would allow me to slap a grid on the maps I make that would in turn allow me to place moveable sprites, at present I've only really tried paint to middling success as each new action would require a duplicate of the map for me to transpose new sprites over to which just slows the process down. If anyone has an tips or tricks they could share it would be most appreciated.

Edited by Slixer

You can try something like Paint.NET or Gimp if you're looking for freeware to use. Both programs employ a layer function which I imagine alleviates most of your issues (it wont be as easy as a locking grid, but it's better than paint). You can have a "base layer" which is your map, and thereafter you can create additional layers for each individual enemy unit and player character. If you need to move one of them, just go to that layer and you can do so without disrupting the map or the other sprites. 

Edited by Vestige

Thanks for the suggestion! I got Paint.NET and it seems alot friendlier and easier the Gimp was at least! Now I just need a way to eliminate the white pixels from the sprite! But other then that my thanks.