Gameplay desires?

I`d like to see the Base from the Tellius games return, along with Base Conversations. It would also be cool to see ledges return. If properly balanced, I think faituge could be a cool mechanic. I think forging should be handled like it was in the Tellius games. I have no idea what new stuff they could add though.

An emphasis on tactics rather than what your numbers are is what I've been asking for since Rekka no Ken.

Edited by Commander Xelon

17 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I`d like to see the Base from the Tellius games return, along with Base Conversations. It would also be cool to see ledges return. If properly balanced, I think faituge could be a cool mechanic. I think forging should be handled like it was in the Tellius games. I have no idea what new stuff they could add though.

All of this sounds good. I would love if base conversations and height differences returned

Definite Returns:

Height (with some more nuances)

Something that can replicate the effects of Dragon Veins

Capture (along the lines of the Berwick Saga version- e.g. a bonus you can strive for, but not a necessity of the gameplay)

Base Conversations (shall I make a topic expressing my adoration for them?)

Go ahead and bring back Affinities

Rankings I would be okay with, they're optional after all; the Berwick style of Rankings could be interesting

Some form of forging- no Fates gem materials though-

Maybe a Chameleon type unit

And here is one map design idea I'd like to see executed once:

Heroic Army is passing through a mountain pass controlled by Bandits, possibly with help from Evil Empire. The slope up the pass to the Fort which commands it is heavily defended, if Lord attempts to take the Fort as is, it will involve massive casualties.

Fortunately Flying Mercenaries are coincidentally passing by. Flying Mercenaries want to get through the pass and are willing to help Heroic Army. 

The Fort rests on a cliff next to the ocean, and its seaward side lacks a tall wall- why the Fort has no roof even. Nor, are there ballista or any defenses set up along the seaward side. There is no fear of aerial attack.

With this knowledge in mind, Heroic Army, led by Lord, decides it will distract Bandits by slowly trudging towards the Fort. Flying Mercenaries will strike from the seaward side, throwing the enemy in disarray and disabling the ballistae and other defenses directed towards the Heroic Army. As a plus, Flying Mercenaries, controllable by the player, will offer to ferry a few of the Heroic Army's named playable units into the Fort. Once the Flying Mercenaries have completed their job, rush up the slope with the Heroic Army and together wipe out the Bandits. Also, when you've eliminated the defenses, the Flying Mercenaries turn into Yellow Allied Units.

If all goes well and certain conditions are met, a Flying Mercenary member will even permanently join you.

If I wanted to make things a little more complicated. Have the Evil Empire field a few of its own fliers to delay the Flying Mercenaries, and make it so that those Mercenaries ferrying your units suffer stat losses. Meaning you have to have the unburdened Flying Mercenaries defend the burdened ones from the Evil Empire fliers.

So generally speaking, my desires are sort of in the same vein as Xelon's.  A huge flaw gameplay-wise with FE Fates: Revelation is it gave you so many characters.  I want all or at least most of the characters to be relevant in my playthroughs.  So I would appreciate a greater emphasis on tactics and using your entire roster, which may or may not entail cutting down the roster size.  I mean, what masochist gonna use 70 characters?  Trust me, the 200+ hours I have logged in Revelation is totally not me grinding all these units.

Specifically?  I'm fine with whatever can add to the tactical depth of the game.  I'd like for FE Switch to take the best aspects of the last decade of FE plus Echoes and put them in FE Switch.  Varied objectives, many tactically unique classes, useful skills to learn, good map manipulation, a complex weapon system...  also, a solid magic system.  Magic felt like a more unique class of weapon in earlier FE's, especially the GBA games and Tellius games where they had their own "triangle".  Now, it just feels like regular weapons, but with better range and calculations based on Magic and Resistance.

One last thing...  We all know that typically, FE's start off very difficult but become easier as you go on, mainly due to the fact that gaining levels gains your units security.  One exception to that rule is Conquest, which has difficulty spikes all over the place.  Probably the biggest boon to this FE would be if they took a cue from that and put in a few surprises.  By the end, I want to feel like I toppled a mountain, not a bunch of ankle-high rocks.

I have a lot of gameplay features that I would love in Fire emblem switch

-Trinity of Magic needs to be re-added.

-Class changing should be reverted to its Shadow Dragon incarnation with a greater variety of class sets than just 2

-Give the player a fully 3D base to explore, expand on Fates's my castle by giving the player a few minigames to do in order to Forge weapons, cook, etc.

-Allow any player unit to wield legendary weapons

-Allow for skirmishes with overworld enemies, make it plot relevant by allowing the player to recruit a handful of characters via these skirmishes (Similar to recruiting Chulainn in Genealogy of the Holy War)

-Dismount feature for mounted classes, only it isn't a complete down grade, stats such as Speed, skill, and luck increase, while strength, Defense, and resistance are lowered. Allow characters to wield one weapon that they have the highest proficiency in

-new Online modes that allow players to work together in a set of predetermined maps (With around 10 predetermined maps with varied objectives) Allow for wireless coop so that friends can play these maps together

-Make a unique 2 player mode for the single player campaign, where various units are assigned to each controller.

-If weapon durability returns, allow weapons to be repaired for a price

-Give each character their own personal budget and weapons, allow for only one weapon to be traded to another unit at a time. From what I've played of FE4, this system gives each character a bit of personality

-Increase possible levels of support from 3 to 5

-Remove restrictive weapon ranks

-Give the player some dungeons to explore

-Make it so that all magical attacks deplete a set number of hp per use

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

On 3/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, Ertrick36 said:

So generally speaking, my desires are sort of in the same vein as Xelon's.  A huge flaw gameplay-wise with FE Fates: Revelation is it gave you so many characters.  I want all or at least most of the characters to be relevant in my playthroughs.  So I would appreciate a greater emphasis on tactics and using your entire roster, which may or may not entail cutting down the roster size.  I mean, what masochist gonna use 70 characters?  Trust me, the 200+ hours I have logged in Revelation is totally not me grinding all these units.

Specifically?  I'm fine with whatever can add to the tactical depth of the game.  I'd like for FE Switch to take the best aspects of the last decade of FE plus Echoes and put them in FE Switch.  Varied objectives, many tactically unique classes, useful skills to learn, good map manipulation, a complex weapon system...  also, a solid magic system.  Magic felt like a more unique class of weapon in earlier FE's, especially the GBA games and Tellius games where they had their own "triangle".  Now, it just feels like regular weapons, but with better range and calculations based on Magic and Resistance.

One last thing...  We all know that typically, FE's start off very difficult but become easier as you go on, mainly due to the fact that gaining levels gains your units security.  One exception to that rule is Conquest, which has difficulty spikes all over the place.  Probably the biggest boon to this FE would be if they took a cue from that and put in a few surprises.  By the end, I want to feel like I toppled a mountain, not a bunch of ankle-high rocks.

I've been wanting to have magic be in a better place for a while. Make Magic and Resistance as good as Strength and Defense, as well as include the magic triangle. I do like the idea of healers using physical weapons, but I hate how they removed all the other magic classes such as bishop and druid. They definitely need to bring them back. 

One idea I just thought of: a different take on shields. Like in Gaiden, shields would provide a boost to defence and, depending on the shield, other stats as well. But, unlike Gaiden, a unit can equip a weapon and a shield at the same time. For gameplay balance and for a little bit of realism, a variation of the weight system would also return. Both weapons and shields would have a certain amount of weight, and a unit cannot equip a weapon/shield combo that exceeds a certain weight (this maximum varying based either on the character, strength, or being a fixed number for all). This would prevent a unit from, for example, equipping a giant zweihander-length sword and a big shield at the same time. Also, certain weapons would be so heavy that no unit can use both it and a shield at the same time.

I also hope light magic makes a return as well as varied map objectives.

Support/Marriage/very likely Avatar system are obviously gonna still be there but:

Story base conversations on current situations of the game even side stories optional of course.

Varied mission objectives

Light Magic makes a comeback

A magic using dancer class

Fog of War

Weapon system back to normal keep the +? -? to stats NO more "reduce every time its used".....

Manaketes back to glory...

Good roster of characters around Awakening of Radiant Dawn size.

Remove restricted weapon ranks like Awakening

New online modes with Co-op missions

Expand the My Castle system more buildings

Keep the dungeon mechanic from Gaiden/Echoes if they want to of course

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

• The game being much more stingy with money. Instead of earning huge chunks of gold once in a while, there are many opportunities to gather small amounts during chapters. Raiding the enemy's supplies during battles will be an important part of the strategy.
  • Have a durability system like in FE4, where instead of buying new weapons, broken weapons are repaired for money. Forged weapons are more expensive to repair.
  • The Forging System of FE11-13. Additionally, rare materials can be spent to give a weapon a special property, but this will make repairs even more expensive.
  • Buffs and Debuffs, although nerfed a bit. Also, the type of stacking debuff caused by silver weapons does not occure. Silvers are already limited by repair costs in my dream system.
  • Useful siege weapons, like in Fates.
  • Thiefs having the ability to steal directly from other units.
  • Bigger inventories.
  • Gaiden Chapters like in the GBA Era.

Skills, Weapons, secret classes, paralogues, events etc. Unlockable through supports.

E.G.

Obtaining personal weapons by obtaining C or B support with an engineer character.

With very limited reclassing, "secret classes" (not normally obtainable but related to the starting class of the unit) being obtainable through A supports.

Since I can't do any story complaints in this topic, I'll put down only game play ones. Even if I really want to complain about the story.

-Bases and all that they entailed in FE 9 and 10 (conversations, bonus exp, etc.). I don't want it to be like the my castle which made no sense 

-S ranks achievable by any class, but only one s rank (of course)

-not much reclassing

-Gaidens like the FE7, but the requirements are more obvious so you don't miss out if you don't follow a guide

-Some sort of beast/dragon type unit (aka one that transforms like manakete) and are able to promote so that there is a feeling of progression

-Weight (only they actually explain to the player what it is so you don't look online for an explanation)

-Less support options as to increase quality of both the supports and any paired endings (In Fates it was extremely noticeable that they just mashed two default endings together)

-More boss quotes as Awakening somehow has more than Fates. I don't want the MC to be the only one that the boss ever has a convo with.

I'd quite like to see the enemies having better tactics. Some chapters may involve defensive enemies that won't fall for baits, they could force you into a chokehold, and some bosses would even have broken skill combinations like: Miracle+, Renewal, Wary fighter; Counter+, Countermagic+, Bowbreaker; or Pavise, Aeigis, Renewal. Basically anything the player can do, the enemy can use against you.

- My castle, but a better reason for it 

- Light Magic

- Geneolagy of the holy war's second generation system

- Bows having a range of 1-2 

- Divine weapons like in Fe6, but more hints on how to get them

- An avatar with little to NO relevence to the plot, but is as customisable as Corrin, and being able to pick his base class like Kris, except giving him more options for classes

- Dragon veins

- THIRD TIER CLASSES FOR EVERY SINGLE CLASS (except for unique classes, or not)

- Skirmishes, but having having to pay money to go to the skirmishes instead of the main chapter, which would be free 

Now that I've seen Echoes my thoughts change but some remain:

My Castle base system (in the actual world!)

Avatar system NO base canon class any base class you pick is YOUR canon class like Kris also a personality option

Divine Weapons still unbreakable

Similar Skill system to Echoes

Skirmishes like Echoes

World map like Echoes

Return of Light Magic 

More Dark Magic

Base convos like FE 9/10/12/15

Keep Archers 1-2

Longer consistent chapters

Make Manakete units great again

S rank weapon levels can be achieved at any class

Keep Reclassing

Keep children don't know how they would implement them again though

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a rundown of game mechanics I want to see.

1. Breakable weapons with maybe Iron being unbreakable and also the lowest rank. Also character specific and legendary weapons are also exempt from breaking like Ike's Ettard, ect.

2. Bring the GBA style Arena back and have it appear periodically on some maps maybe even have FE8's 50 floored tower idea reused as well

3. A battle save mechanic as well as a restart map option

4. 3rd tier class system. And I want 3rd tier archers to have a range of 1-3 squares at least.

5. Everybody can rescue and shove but.....mounted units cannot be rescued by foot units although they can be shoved. Foot units can only rescue foot units, mounted units can rescue EVERYBODY except maybe wyvern units or a shifted beast unit.

6. I want the laguz back! With a few slight adjustments, at certain levels they learn skills and if they get high enough they learn formshift allowing them to remain shifted indefinitely I'll say level 60 for example. When unshifted there's an attack command that allows the laguz to punch the enemy in front of them, allowing them to build up energy for shifting. Also give them decent growths, because that's one thing I dislike is their bad growths although luck is crazy high. Seriously they don't need THAT much of a luck growth.

7. If a class can use more than 1 weapon I want them tobe able to get  S rank in both of them or all three.  Harken can get S rank in BOTH swords and axes. Stop having certain classes like Dread Fighter only be DLC I want to fight some Dread Fighters or maybe meet a unit who is a Dread Fighter (this applies to other DLC exclusive classes as well). 

8. Use Gaiden's magic system

9. Base with supports and a shop and armory.

10 Bonus EXP

11 Automatic promotion upon reaching level 21

12 Have the cursor be a gauntlet like in Radiant Dawn, that looks Soooooo COOL.

13. No second seals and no reclassing. Cavaliers are cavaliers they STAY that way, and I'm not talking about branch promotions I don't mind that. I'm talking about making a Cavalier a thief for instance or a wyvern becoming a mage or something.

14 Don't include children characters or an avatarr just for the sake of having an avatarr and children characters

15 Have weapon master return as a branch promotion in the myrmidon line this is a great class and a similar thing for Malig knight but give wyverns a better magic and resistance growth in that case. The same holds true if the oni chieftain returns give axe units a good magic and resistance growth otherwise this class is useless. Have thieves use knives like the ninja class, make pegasus awesome again give them swords they don't need to heal. And why are they so fragile? It's a FLYING HORSE for crying out loud give them better defense and strength, make wyverns immune to arrows but vulnerable to thunder magic again and use the Radiant Dawn and GBA type of model these are hands down the BEST. Give all mounted units canto and give everybody a shove and rescue mechanic. 

16 Make skills good. Get rid of the rallies, seals and takers. Give us canto, make sol like it was in Radiant Dawn, give archers (3rd tier) the Deadeye skill, mages (3rd tier) learn Corona, knights (3rd tier) learn Luna (Radiant Dawn and prior version). Give us Great Shield back instead of splitting the skill in half. Reavers and Berserkers learn Colossus, I want Corrosion back that skill was so much fun. I like the characters specific skills that was a good idea. You get the idea also I want adept to return too and nullify. Give soldiers (3rd tier). If breakers return stop giving this to classes that already have the weapon advantage over it (Heroes having axebreaker) cavaliers or myrmidons would benefit more from lancebreaker than an axe unit would. They already have the advantage.

Edited by SavageVolug
There was a spelling mistake I forgot to correct.

Gameplay wise i want smooth transitions between attacking units and being engaged.
i feel like SoV does a perfect job with this, where it looks like units are moving into perform attacks etc.
I don't want waifu simulator but i know it will return, hopefully to a lesser degree. Maybe have more believable pairings, make the support system overall more expanded than just sit with x character to eventually talk to them.
If kids are put into the game, make it like Genealogy of the Holy War and not just some time altering dimension nonsense. 
I honestly think if they do it like Fe4 but instead of killing off most of the parents make it so some return (some can die) as Jagen type characters.
That would make the support and marriage system etc feel way more fleshed out and integral to the gameplay instead of them just going to some magic realm and becoming older then fighting alongside their parents like 5-7 years or so younger.
If they return to a conquest style gameplay (limited experience, training certain characters matter, important map design) I would be thrilled but i understand people like to grind in these sort of games. So meet them halfway and put arenas in maps where time isn't a factor. Similar to FE6/7 where you can get your grind on but only with the units you prepared to grind with.

I dislike the FE4 method even though I love the game back in its time that will definitely turn off many new casual players (outside a remake) especially letting Waifus/Husbandos die for the sake of children I'd keep it like Awakening or something else brand new (IS is creative like that). Anyway I want to add co-op using Joy-Cons in some way.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I just really want the third tier classes and terrain mechanics from RD back. Those were so cool.

Also, a PoR-like support system. No more of this everyone supports everyone crap. It's made the conversations a little less quality. No children either, PLEASE. >_<

I don't mind if there's an Avatar so long as it's done well.

The base conversations in Tellius were great too, also would love to see those.

Edited by Anacybele

1. I want the base and base convos from RD to return along with third tier classes 

2. make supports more like the GBA FEs in that there is a limit to who can support who but make it easier to build supports 

3.I want thieves with the steal skill back like in PoR/RD 

4. if we have to have kids make a time skip like in FE 4

5. if there has to be an avatar make player choices impact the game by at least locking who the avatar can support by how the player chooses to play the game and no avatar worship because that got old fast in Fates

I have others but I just listed my top 5 but they aren't in order.  

1. Breakable weapons return. It is classical and there was nothing wrong with it.

2. No money and capture. FE games dump too much money, and if they cut down the money then we accuse the game of being cheap. I think capturing is a good middle ground.

3. No huge maps, no inability to trade, no inability to promote until level 20, and no personal money. FE4 can rot in Hell.

4. No second generation, no avatar.

5. Continually buyable Thunder Swords so swordlocked units have ranged weapons.

6. No reclassing.

7. Dismounting to nerf ponies in some maps.

8. Thieves, fighters, armors, myrmidons, archers, and lords improved to not suck ass.

9. Stat growths boosters.

10. SoV base conversations and supports. There are a few but they are nice.

11. Multiple map objectives. Plz.

1.  Bring back weapon durability, but make weapons more durable than in previous games.

2.  Bring back Thracia 776's Capture system, but with some modifications.  Like, if you clear the map while still holding some captured enemies, said enemies can be held prisoner (unless they're plot-relevant, of course) and may be bribed or persuaded into joining you like in Fates, or possibly even sold for ransom.

3.  Give us an Avatar with as little plot relevance as possible and allow the player to choose his/her class from the beginning.

4.  Assuming S-Supports and Child Units are coming back, limit possible S-Support partners to perhaps three to five (mainly to discourage writing a large number of low-quality Support chains).  If same-sex S-Supports are also coming back, bring back substitute characters like in Genealogy of the Holy War to compensate for the Child Units you'd lose.

5.  Reclassing limited to one alternate class, period.

6.  Keep Thieves with debuffing 1-2 range Daggers, that was a great idea.

7.  If Laguz/Taguel-esque units are coming back, allow them to transform into different types of beasts like Manaketes could in Mystery of the Emblem.

8.  Bring back Weight and Constitution.

Those are the major ones I can think of.