Battle Skills

So who here really likes the idea behind Battle Skills in SoV? I think they look cool and seem to be pretty powerful as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really gives an RPG feel to all the classes which I like.

In OG Gaiden, only mages felt like they were RPG-esc and the other classes felt meh in comparison. But now the weapon skills add a whole lot to them.

I like the idea. Also interested to see if they're locked to weapons or learned by the characters.

I think the former though or that list is gonna get LONG!

Also, just for clarification, all skills are triggered via a menu and some require HP (like magic). There's also the return of Shove!

Edited by VincentASM

Theories:

Leon's Trapping Arrows prevents the enemy from moving or has a hard-coded 100% accuracy or something like that.

Catria's Hit and Run gives her a Galeforce-esque effect if it kills an enemy.

3 hours ago, Corrobin said:

So who here really likes the idea behind Battle Skills in SoV? I think they look cool and seem to be pretty powerful as well.

I really like the idea! It will definitely change up the usual skill system we're used to, but it looks neat.

Agreed, the new skill system seems like an excellent edition to flesh out physical units, as I discussed in an earlier post. And, as something else I feel is also worth repeating: Celica and Priestesses can possibly take advantage of sword skills and magic! I very much doubt it'll be broken, but some niche might arise from it.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Agreed, the new skill system seems like an excellent edition to flesh out physical units, as I discussed in an earlier post. And, as something else I feel is also worth repeating: Celica and Priestesses can possibly take advantage of sword skills and magic! I very much doubt it'll be broken, but some niche might arise from it.

That Golden Dagger gives a skill that is a Physical version of Nosferatu. That alone feels like it could have some uses.

18 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

That Golden Dagger gives a skill that is a Physical version of Nosferatu. That alone feels like it could have some uses.

I'm staring at it and it almost seems too good. I suppose Nosferatu is ranged so you don't have to worry about counter-attacks most of the time, but it has a worrisome 60% rate.

That said, you probably can't counter with skills (since you trigger them via a menu), so there's that.

So, aside from Shove (which we have seen in Tellius) and Power of Abundance (which we have a translated description for, thanks again Vincent), what do you think all the others do based on the names?

11 hours ago, Corrobin said:

So, aside from Shove (which we have seen in Tellius) and Power of Abundance (which we have a translated description for, thanks again Vincent), what do you think all the others do based on the names?

Ark Ballista/Ark Javelin seems to be a 1-3+ skill. Like, instead of a Javelin going 1-2 for HP cost you can increase the range. Note how the camera followed the spear when Luka used this skill, it's akin to how the camera follows arrows that travel past 2 range.

Catria's Hit and Run gives me Galeforce/Canto vibes which is going to be insane.

I'm not too sure about "Thunderclap", the skill Alm triggered with the Bolt Sword, but it looked SUPER cool. Lightning seemed to go all over the place so maybe it's like Savage Blow or something?

Crosswise looks like a Luna sort of skill. Increased dmg, but I'm not sure what else it could be doing.

Just some guesses.

15 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Catria's Hit and Run gives her a Galeforce-esque effect if it kills an enemy.

I saw this post and started laughing for a solid thirty seconds. She's, like, the last person in the game who needs that skill.

Definitely a nice change of pace, and I'm hoping this allows skills to be used without relying on TEC or LUCK, which would really give things a breath of fresh air.

The first thing worth realizing about this, is that it makes player phase a lot more important. That can only be a good thing.

29 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Definitely a nice change of pace, and I'm hoping this allows skills to be used without relying on TEC or LUCK, which would really give things a breath of fresh air.

I doubt it's chance based because the HP cost could screw you over and cause a unit to die as a result. I strongly doubt they would add something like that.

16 hours ago, VincentASM said:

I'm staring at it and it almost seems too good. I suppose Nosferatu is ranged so you don't have to worry about counter-attacks most of the time, but it has a worrisome 60% rate.

That said, you probably can't counter with skills (since you trigger them via a menu), so there's that.

I don't think it's too good/OP since it would be player phase only. Most absorb effects tend to only be abusable on enemy phase to tank a whole bunch of units. 

If you're double attacking it may only be the first hit as well. Would make sense because then wouldn't be incurring the double HP cost to use it. Therefore, I would think most skills only activate on the first hit, otherwise it massively penalizes units who cannot double.

On 3/30/2017 at 7:46 AM, DLuna said:

The first thing worth realizing about this, is that it makes player phase a lot more important. That can only be a good thing.

Yep, that combined with fatigue is indicating to me that they'll be punishing EP focused strategies a lot. Should also bode well for the map design even as they're keeping the maps themselves fairly plain.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:45 PM, VincentASM said:

That's good.  I was afraid that I'd activate a skill that I didn't want to activate.  I wonder if skills of weapons will show up on enemies as well.

2 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

So, thanks to Vincent and his l33t haxx0ring sk1llz, we can get some skill effects! Take it away, @VincentASM!

Haha, give me a few more hours. About halfway done and got dinner in a mo.

Wait, I guess I'll post a WIP before I leave.