Home page feedback

Phoenix Wright

I've got two main suggestions that I've been thinking about lately and I'd like to discuss it a bit with staff and members alike.

To begin, how do y'all feel about stories jumping immediately to the first (theoretically) "unread" line on the main page? I've never encountered another website that did this, and after months of its implementation, I can say with certainty that it's annoying. It should just start at the beginning when you decide to read the full article. 

It's annoying mostly because it assumes you read the preview, which is not necessarily true. For any Echoes articles, I just click read more immediately because I already know I'm interested. If I did read the preview, the jump begins precisely after where you left off, which is awkward. It should at least begin on the last sentence/image/line that was visible in the preview to keep the flow of reading.

The other thing is a bit minor, but still worth asking about: can we create tabs or something on the main page to filter news? I don't care about Cipher or Heroes, so it'd be nice if I could skip them entirely. We could reserve the "main" news page for announcements of new games (so, when Heroes was first announced, or when Echoes was first announced), website management news, etc. We can put other news in tabs that indicate to a reader when something is new, like the [new!] used around the rest of the site. 

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'm more on the content creation side so I think I'll poke @Jyosua. For now, I'll just give some comments on the matters.

From my perspective, the "Read More" button is fine; it does what it says on the tin.

You can actually read an article in full by clicking the headline. However, I do realise it might not be obvious.

The other thing you mentioned I have been pondering from time to time, since I understand not everyone follows Cipher or even Heroes, etc. Ideally, I want the front page to be representative of the series as a whole. So that's why everything is there.

Right now, you can filter news by clicking the categories. Eg. Fire Emblem Echoes for Echoes news. But it's not immediately obvious when there's news as you have to click the filter to check. Which is kind of missing the point of news IMO.

I think a better idea would be to have actual filters to remove news per category (so you can blacklist Heroes news for example). But I don't know if Wordpress has that sort of feature.

48 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

You can actually read an article in full by clicking the headline. However, I do realise it might not be obvious.

...oh. cool. :)

Right now, you can filter news by clicking the categories. Eg. Fire Emblem Echoes for Echoes news. But it's not immediately obvious when there's news as you have to click the filter to check. Which is kind of missing the point of news IMO.

I think a better idea would be to have actual filters to remove news per category (so you can blacklist Heroes news for example). But I don't know if Wordpress has that sort of feature.

that is a better idea!

the button itself is fine, but still makes it a minor hassle to find old news that i'd like to see (something like vestaria saga just as an example). although i guess that's precisely what the search function is for... 

eh. looks like this issue is pretty much dealt with haha. thanks, vincent.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Yeah WordPress doesn't really support user-based filters out of the box, and this would be especially hard since we don't allow user accounts to be made on the main site. Your best bet is just to bookmark the tags you're interested in. I've thought about setting up RSS feeds, but there are higher priorities on my list at the moment and that feels like a dying technology, to be honest.