Lethakitty

The Rules:

Play Birthright on Lunatic.

No Children

No My castle items

No Grinding

Can not use any classes that can use staves

Can not use Takumi or Ryoma

Avatar will be a fighter -> Berserker so she will have triangle disadvantage against major bosses like Iago, Xander, and Leo (though to be honest it wont matter much in birthright)

No DLC

Azura can not be a songstress

also the following skills are banned: Lethality, Replicate, Quixotic, Death blow, Spendthrift (also any skills that healing classes have unless the unit has them when they join)

Rules are not set in stone I may add more

Additional Rules:

No Pre Promoted units, Can not increase anyone support levels, No using Nohrian Weaponry, must only bring half the amount of characters possible to any map. no using Concoctions or Elixers, No pairing up (Dual strikes are fine), No resetting

Edited by Lethakitty

Only using one weapon would be better as a stand alone challenge to me. I do not want to go too overboard on restrictions. I am thinking about adding to the challenge that I can not use any Nohrian weapons, but at this point I think the challenge is fine as it is. I do plan on doing something similar for conquest and I will probably add more rules for that

This doesn't sound much harder, only a little more tedious. No staves/No Songstress is really the only noteworthy thing here.

None of the Birthright children are sufficiently gamebreaking like some of the Conquest children are so you aren't really missing anything there.

No MyCastle items, no grinding, no DLC is perfectly workable and not hard to live without.

Takumi is massively overrated and not a very good unit at all. Ryoma is powerful but banning him doesn't make the game necessarily harder (it is obscenely easy as is) it just makes things take longer.

Berserker is one of the best classes in the game. Having WTD against many bosses isn't a problem, not only because of the Dual Club existing, but also because it just doesn't matter. Berserker is just that good and the enemies don't have sufficient stats to make it a problem.

Of the skills you listed, only Replicate and Spendthrift are of any use (debatably Death Blow as well). Quixotic is only useful on meme proc skill builds and Lethality is just all-around garbage.

Out of the banned skills, Death Blow seems like it's the only one that'd make a real difference - Lethality is unlikely to activate, and the other three are level 15 skills, which you likely wouldn't see until near the very end.

7 hours ago, noook said:

Berserker is one of the best classes in the game. Having WTD against many bosses isn't a problem, not only because of the Dual Club existing, but also because it just doesn't matter. Berserker is just that good and the enemies don't have sufficient stats to make it a problem.

I beg to differ when Berserker is locked to axes, which isn't exactly ideal, and worse yet, has a crit evade penalty, meaning most everything has crit chances on you.

It's -5 CritEvade. Considering Birthright enemies low stats they will rarely ever breach 15 base crit (I loaded up chapter 27 Lunatic Birthright just now and no one besides the other Berserkers and Garon have more than 12 crit) so you'd have to be running something like -Luck for that penalty to matter (which why would you, over -Magic since you're already going Fighter).

Axes themselves are quite good. They are less good in Birthright since you have to use clubs which for the most part are much worse, but again, since enemy stats are low, the loss in power isn't quite a big deal. You can still get a Dual Club, or one of the Throwing Clubs, the Lance Slayer, and you can even steal Scarlet's Killer Axe if you want.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The Maid next to Garon has 13 Crit!!! This is still not enough to matter to anyone.

Edited by noook

Takumi's goodness is all in the Fujin Yumi and how terrible Setsuna and Mozu start. He is a decent Archer/Sniper 'till the end if you want to stick with him, and with his great early- and mid-game power, he can easily get the EXP necessary for being kept on. Send him Sword or Spear Master, and you'll see how mediocre he can be. Hinoka is much better in the long run. And so is Azama.

22 minutes ago, noook said:

It's -5 CritEvade. Considering Birthright enemies low stats they will rarely ever breach 15 base crit (I loaded up chapter 27 Lunatic Birthright just now and no one besides the other Berserkers and Garon have more than 12 crit) so you'd have to be running something like -Luck for that penalty to matter (which why would you, over -Magic since you're already going Fighter).

Axes themselves are quite good. They are less good in Birthright since you have to use clubs which for the most part are much worse, but again, since enemy stats are low, the loss in power isn't quite a big deal. You can still get a Dual Club, or one of the Throwing Clubs, the Lance Slayer, and you can even steal Scarlet's Killer Axe if you want.

Which is a big deal when crits are innately stacked against you in terms of usefulness. . . Personally, I think it's like using High Jump Kick in Pokemon - get unlucky, and you autolose. Except instead of losing a Pokemon, you lose the whole game. That is a Very Bad Thing, as I see it. So yeah, I think Berserkers have seen better days. 

I'm saying that between leveling and all the Goddess Icons you get you will get enough Luck to completely nullify every enemy's crit chance. You only need like 20, at the most 25, factoring in the Berserker's Dodge penalty.

1 minute ago, noook said:

I'm saying that between leveling and all the Goddess Icons you get you will get enough Luck to completely nullify every enemy's crit chance. You only need like 20, at the most 25, factoring in the Berserker's Dodge penalty.

Nope - Luck and crit evade aren't 1:1 like was the case in other FEs. It takes two points of luck to get one point of crit evade in Fates, and Berserker ties for the lowest luck cap in the game (25).

I actually didn't know this. Regardless I still don't think it matters very much. Even if 25 Luck only gets you 12 dodge this is still enough to negate the crit chances of all enemies in Chapter 27 (the end of the game, where naturally enemy stats are as high as they get) besides the Maid, who'd get 1 crit (off a Silver Dagger facing WTD wew) the Berserkers and Garon (9, 10 crit respectively). Those are a little harder to nullify but not impossible since you can get Dodge from support bonuses.

13 minutes ago, noook said:

I actually didn't know this. Regardless I still don't think it matters very much. Even if 25 Luck only gets you 12 dodge this is still enough to negate the crit chances of all enemies in Chapter 27 (the end of the game, where naturally enemy stats are as high as they get) besides the Maid, who'd get 1 crit (off a Silver Dagger facing WTD wew) the Berserkers and Garon (9, 10 crit respectively). Those are a little harder to nullify but not impossible since you can get Dodge from support bonuses.

Except as a Berserker, that's 7, and that's at risk from everything but the Strategists and Dark Knights, according to the stats from my hard mode BR file at least. And sure, you might be able to get Crit evade from support bonuses, but that might not always be practical, especially as far as Garon is concerned.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Last I checked, this isn't the Berserker Debate Topic.

Anyway, TC, if this is an Actual Playthrough, let me know so I can shuffle off to the appropriate subforum.

17 hours ago, noook said:

This doesn't sound much harder, only a little more tedious. No staves/No Songstress is really the only noteworthy thing here.

None of the Birthright children are sufficiently gamebreaking like some of the Conquest children are so you aren't really missing anything there.

No MyCastle items, no grinding, no DLC is perfectly workable and not hard to live without.

Takumi is massively overrated and not a very good unit at all. Ryoma is powerful but banning him doesn't make the game necessarily harder (it is obscenely easy as is) it just makes things take longer.

Of the skills you listed, only Replicate and Spendthrift are of any use (debatably Death Blow as well). Quixotic is only useful on meme proc skill builds and Lethality is just all-around garbage.

I'm not seeing the tedium (Or the masochism). OP hasn't banned Sol MN Silias or Oni Savage/Basara spam so the steamroll is still very real. I wouldn't totally discount the no kids restriction since that does ban Dwyer and Sophie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I misreading this or is Takumi/Ryoma banned but Scarlet/Reina are free game? While combat class Jakob is actually forced? Because that's hilarious.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worst case with Zerker Corin is you strap them to Silias at half health for that sick +12 atk/+3 def/+5 speed add. Best case OP has 21 chapters to fall in love with zerkers.

Edited by joshcja

10 hours ago, joshcja said:

Worst case with Zerker Corin is you strap them to Silias at half health for that sick +12 atk/+3 def/+5 speed add. Best case OP has 21 chapters to fall in love with zerkers.

Berzerker is already my favorite class