Persona 5

Corrobin

It's coming out soon and critics are already giving it near-perfect scores (IGN: 9.7). Who's hype levels are through the roof?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered the Take your Heart edition like 6 months ago. I didn't even realize it was this close to the release. It might finally be time for me to buy a PS4.

According to Amazon, I pre-ordered it when I pre-ordered Echoes.

Could have sworn I pre-ordered it earlier, but either way. I've been hyped ever since Atlus started teasing in 2012ish.

I even bought Catherine just because I wanted to support P5's development in some way. Even though I ended up hating Catherine.

Edited by Slumber

I read people claim its story is weaker than P4's, but the gameplay is better.

While I can't say I'm particularly hyped (Falcom and the Yakuza series have been keeping me busy lately), there's a good chance I'll get it down the road. Probably not day one though.

40 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

I read people claim its story is weaker than P4's, but the gameplay is better.

While I can't say I'm particularly hyped (Falcom and the Yakuza series have been keeping me busy lately), there's a good chance I'll get it down the road. Probably not day one though.

I mean, of all the things I'd praise Persona 4 for, story really isn't one of them. It's incredibly fun to follow the cast and their shenanigans, but the actual story and mystery they're trying to solve overstays its welcome after the second fake out of who the person responsible for the murders is. And that's not even the last fake out.

Plus, the stakes are really minor for what the story ends up being. It'd be fine if this was its own self-contained thing, but Persona 4 is an SMT game. And while it may not take place in the same universe where stakes are at a constant high like the mainline series, it DOES take place in the same universe as Persona 3, which basically reminds you that something bad is probably going to happen once you deal with all of the Dark Hours and reach the top of Tartarus(That bad thing being the apocalypse). More personal stories are fine, but Persona 4's last few segments set up this whole premise as super dire and important, which kind of betrays the first... 4/5 of the story(Which itself was falling apart near the end).

Persona 4's strengths were its characters, overall design, atmosphere and the high quality of the interactions between characters. As long as those are in tact, and the story is better than the average JRPG, Persona 5 should be fine.

and don't get me fuckin started on marie oh my god don't get me started

Edited by Slumber

persona 4's story was fine, tbh. the upping of the stakes is kind of jarring, but the explanation of the boss who initiated everything was pretty coherent as everything comes together.  the main potential issue was the team failing to actually prevent a kidnapping, but the only time this is actually stupid/irrational is when they all chase after the photo-stalker kid. 3 is good, but loses all momentum around november.  

anyway, take your heart out edition is supposed to arrive two weeks from now at the latest.  can't wait.  i already know a bit about the game (sounds like some elements from classic smt/persona 1-2 are being included) , but still trying to be as blind as possible.  atlus is game dev of the life, and this budget and ambition has me hyped up.  

2 hours ago, Radiant head said:

persona 4's story was fine, tbh. the upping of the stakes is kind of jarring, but the explanation of the boss who initiated everything was pretty coherent as everything comes together.  the main potential issue was the team failing to actually prevent a kidnapping, but the only time this is actually stupid/irrational is when they all chase after the photo-stalker kid. 3 is good, but loses all momentum around november.  

anyway, take your heart out edition is supposed to arrive two weeks from now at the latest.  can't wait.  i already know a bit about the game (sounds like some elements from classic smt/persona 1-2 are being included) , but still trying to be as blind as possible.  atlus is game dev of the life, and this budget and ambition has me hyped up.  

Yeah, I wasn't saying P4's story was bad, just that it wasn't some gold(en) standard of story. I'd still put P4's story over 90% of JRPGs(Not that that's really saying anything), but for all of the strengths that game has, the story isn't something I'd ever be like "Man, if something doesn't live up to P4's story, it isn't worth playing". 

I think one of the strongest positives of P4's story was the fact it's stakes were lower. Compared to many JRPG, P4's story and characters were realistic, and other than Teddie, pretty much every character's issue and backstories were something that could genuinely. The party was also unique by JRPG standards. They weren't a group of orphans that happened to come together. The majority of the party had both parents alive and the only orphan of the group had parents in a situation that it was unusual to end up dead, I mean, both of Naoto's parents were detectives, so them being killed because of their job isn't unrealistic at all.

My point is, I think the reason for P4's success was how unique it's atmosphere and characters were, and how they were relatable. The games also makes their friendship genuine, so the friendship theme doesn't come off as corny. The made you care about the characters.

15 hours ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, I wasn't saying P4's story was bad, just that it wasn't some gold(en) standard of story. I'd still put P4's story over 90% of JRPGs(Not that that's really saying anything), but for all of the strengths that game has, the story isn't something I'd ever be like "Man, if something doesn't live up to P4's story, it isn't worth playing". 

true 

like if anything it would be pretty underwhelmed if it falls short of p4.  story looks darker/more ambitious, so I guess there's higher risk of failing 

I adore Persona 4, and I really hope Persona 5 blows it out of the water. However, I must say I'm not a fan of the art style or what seems to be driving the plot. "Reforming corrupt adults" and "breaking free from society" sounds ridiculous and like even more teenage pandering, which is the last thing the series needs.

Hoping for the best, expecting to run my hand through my hair in frustration multiple times.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I adore Persona 4, and I really hope Persona 5 blows it out of the water. However, I must say I'm not a fan of the art style or what seems to be driving the plot. "Reforming corrupt adults" and "breaking free from society" sounds ridiculous and like even more teenage pandering, which is the last thing the series needs.

Hoping for the best, expecting to run my hand through my hair in frustration multiple times.

To be fair, in Japan it's a really big deal to have a game that gives you a message that authority isn't absolute to listen to. Cultural differences and all.

1 minute ago, Ebony said:

To be fair, in Japan it's a really big deal to have a game that gives you a message that authority isn't absolute to listen to. Cultural differences and all.

I realize that. It doesn't mean I have to like it or think it makes for a solid foundation for a game's story. 

With any luck, all of my concerns are unwarranted. I just think this game looks like it embraces some things that just don't sit well with me, and the way they've described the issues the game will deal with does not strike a chord with me.

Thats fair. I don't know, I have decent hopes I'll at least be fine with the narrative. That being said this is from someone who didn't really care for most of P4's narrative and got most of my enjoyment from gameplay and Social Links.

8 minutes ago, Ebony said:

Thats fair. I don't know, I have decent hopes I'll at least be fine with the narrative. That being said this is from someone who didn't really care for most of P4's narrative and got most of my enjoyment from gameplay and Social Links.

Also fair. I loved Persona 4's story barring a few hiccups and the occasional tone that became more anime than I was comfortable with. It's just that room for improvement that makes me hopeful for Persona 5, but again, it doesn't really seem to be up my alley. Even the overall atmosphere has me miffed. Like, after an all-out attack initiated by Ryuji, the text "FREAKIN' BORING!" appears, and it made my skin crawl. If there's more where that coming from, I don't thnk I'd survive the game as I just don't deal well with cringe.

I keep reiterating this, but I hope I'm wrong. If nothing else, I'm sure the Social Links will be great.

My Take Your Heart edition still hasn't shipped yet, which is concerning. Starting to think I won't get this on release day. Sucks, since I pre-ordered it August last year.

To be honest, over the past three months or so, I haven't been paying much attention to Persona 5. It's only been since the review embargo lifted that I found myself excited for this game again. Last I checked, the lowest review score I saw was 8.5/10, which is fantastic to see. 2017 has been a wallet stealer for gamers so far, and we're only a quarter of a way through the year! I need to finish Automata before Tuesday.

On 30/03/2017 at 1:40 AM, Slumber said:

I mean, of all the things I'd praise Persona 4 for, story really isn't one of them. It's incredibly fun to follow the cast and their shenanigans, but the actual story and mystery they're trying to solve overstays its welcome after the second fake out of who the person responsible for the murders is. And that's not even the last fake out.

As someone who isn't overly keen on Persona 4, I personally think it's great how Atlus pulled the same plot twist effectively 4 times, with each one hitting the player just as hard for different reasons. I still prefer Persona 3's story to 4's overall (and as a game in general), but I have to give them props for that.

8 hours ago, Thane said:

I wouldn't worry too much, if I were you. lf you think about it, the morality of their actions is questionable, since they are essentially brainwashing people, regardless if they are bastards or not. So I don't think it will end up being a teenage fantasy.

Edited by Water Mage

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

I wouldn't worry too much, if I were you. If you think about it, the morality of their actions is questionable, since they are essentially brainwashing people, regardless if they are bastards or not. So I don't think it will end up being a teenage fantasy.

Yeah the morality is questionable, but is it questioned in the game? And if it is, is it done well, or is it more like

Adachi from P4

?

10 hours ago, Thane said:

I'll just say this: Sexual abuse, blackmail, bastard children and hacktivist groups are all important parts of the plot at one point or another.

That clear things up?

Just now, Corrobin said:

I'll just say this: Sexual abuse, blackmail, bastard children and hacktivist groups are all important parts of the plot at one point or another.

That clear things up?

Not in the slightest.

Just now, Thane said:

Not in the slightest.

This game is dark. Like, easily the darkest Persona game yet. And it is most definitely not cringy in any way, shape or form: The game had me laughing, crying, and going "HELL YEAH!" during funny/heartwarming/heartbreaking/awesome moments.

Plus, it has an amazing soundtrack, the best gameplay yet, a great visual style (what don't you like about the comic-book style?) and some of the best characters in the series.

From what I've heard about the game (minor spoilers)

Everything gets wrapped up before Christmas and it in general feels like it's made for an expanded re-release.

I've seen (and honestly, partaken in a bit) of ridiculing of the story's climax. (major spoilers)

Using Lucipher to headshot God/Yaldaboath is something so edgy I don't think even SMT has gone there.

Edited by The DanMan

6 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

That clear things up?

Spoilers dude. And I was doing my best to reamain spoiler free.

Just now, Corrobin said:

This game is dark. Like, easily the darkest Persona game yet.

Okay. This did not work in Persona 3's favor.

Just now, Corrobin said:

And it is most definitely not cringy in any way, shape or form:

That's highly subjective.

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

Plus, it has an amazing soundtrack, the best gameplay yet, a great visual style (what don't you like about the comic-book style?) and some of the best characters in the series.

That's also highly subjective.

Look, I expect a high quality product, but there are things that concern me in how the game is presented.