Persona 5

Corrobin

any suggestions on who to fuse for endgame besides yoshitsune?  

i kind of dislike using yoshi in p4 because of how stupidly broken he is and having a bland design, and not too enthralled that they still kept him that way in this game.  lucifer/satan are ideal aesthetically so i want to do that (esp since a certain persona is not available until ng+), but with such a high level they look a little underwhelming. 

Edited by Radiant head

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

any suggestions on who to fuse for endgame besides yoshitsune?  

i kind of dislike using yoshi in p4 because of how stupidly broken he is and having a bland design, and not too enthralled that they still kept him that way in this game.  lucifer/satan are ideal aesthetically so i want to do that (esp since a certain persona is not available until ng+), but which such a high level they look a little underwhelming. 

I always try to summon Satan once per game purely because of the Giant Bomb P4 Endurance Run.

Edited by Slumber

I recently maxed out the Strength confidant, and that is an insane ability you receive. Pay some money, and you can fuse personas higher than your level. I was level 51, and I created the level 69 Siegfried for like ~170k yen.

6 hours ago, Konnor97 said:

I recently maxed out the Strength confidant, and that is an insane ability you receive. Pay some money, and you can fuse personas higher than your level. I was level 51, and I created the level 69 Siegfried for like ~170k yen.

Yeah, some of the rewards for maxing confidants are kind of ridiculous. In particular Moon, Temperance and Strength.

Also, did the game felt shorter than Persona 4 to anyone else?

Maybe because the story ends at December,

I felt like the game could at least one more story "arc" and Palace. 

It feels like the story goes by a little too fast after Haru joins.

When I finished the game, it felt like it could have more. Or maybe I just enjoyed the game too much, and didn't want it to end.

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

I thought that was a reference to

Reveal hidden contents

Yaldabaoth, since I don't think Sae knows of anything that happens after Christmas eve, and Yaldabaoth set up the whole thing with the MC and Akechi for shits and giggles.

I think it's just supposed to show that Sae knows what she's doing, and can figure stuff out without needing to be in the loop like the rest of the party. I think. It's been a week since I beat the game, so she could totally be aware of the stuff that happened at the very end, that segment just goes by so quickly, so I could just be forgetting.

But it's also something Atlus may have left in there when Persona 5: Blood Orgy or whatever comes out.

17 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with Slumber. I'm pretty sure it was meat to be a reference to Yaldabaoth. The one thing see for sure in a Persona 5 updated version is the ability to save Akechi. It's going to happen, considering that in a character poll, he got first place as a favorite character. The main character got second, and Makoto got third. I can also see some more interactions with Lavenza.

Hope you're right, chaps, but I remain unconvinced. It stuck out to me a bit too much. Besides,

Spoiler

doesn't Sae know about Yaldabaoth? I mean all of Tokyo saw the battle's climax pretty much, or did all the normies lose their memories once the creepy stuff disappeared from the city? 

If it is something Sae remains oblivious of, then it's just another thing that makes Persona 5 feel a bit too similar to its predecessor in some regards. Dojima also figured out stuff was going on behind the scenes, and one of the last things he said before they left the house was about the TV world, wasn't it?

Anyway, there's no way we won't get an updated Persona 5, similar to Golden, if nothing else for what Water Mage said.

From one thing to another, I found this: 

Edited by Thane

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Hope you're right, chaps, but I remain unconvinced. It stuck out to me a bit too much. Besides,

Reveal hidden contents

doesn't Sae know about Yaldabaoth? I mean all of Tokyo saw the battle's climax pretty much, or did all the normies lose their memories once the creepy stuff disappeared from the city? 

If it is something Sae remains oblivious of, then it's just another thing that makes Persona 5 feel a bit too similar to its predecessor in some regards. Dojima also figured out stuff was going on behind the scenes, and one of the last things he said before they left the house was about the TV world, wasn't it?

Anyway, there's no way we won't get an updated Persona 5, similar to Golden, if nothing else for what Water Mage said.

From one thing to another, I found this: 

I saw this that video! And there are plenty of Persona 5 menu parodies out there.

Speaking of the possible Persona 5 Golden, for a lack of a better word, I wonder how they would handle Akechi's redemption. As it was said before, there cleary more room for redemption for Akechi than there is for Adachi, and even Futaba and Haru, who had their parents killed by Akechi, were willing to give him a chance. Perhaps the reason while a there is a bigger chance of redemption for Akechi is because he's more of a "weapon" than a "killer". Does that make sense? I'm not quite sure of that myself. There's also the fact that he started killing when he was around 15/16, it's quite possible that he didn't quite grasp the weight of his actions until it was too late. Granted, I still think they are going with the amnesia route with Akechi. How do you guys think Akechi's redemption would be handled?

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

How do you guys think Akechi's redemption would be handled?

Spoiler

Poorly and clumsily. The guy doesn't deserve to be redeemed; he willingly started killing a bunch of people and kept it a secret. Him having a tragic backstory doesn't change that.

1 minute ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

Poorly and clumsily. The guy doesn't deserve to be redeemed; he willingly started killing a bunch of people and kept it a secret. Him having a tragic backstory doesn't change that.

To be fair, such redemptions can be done with they are well-written, even when the character is a murderer. Besides, death doesn't really seems to be a fitting punishment and end for him, as the game itself implies with other characters' fates, such as Kamoshida. That being said, it's the fact that he killed many people is reason I think they would go for the amnesia route for his redemption. Seems to be the easiest route.

4 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
  Hide contents

To be fair, such redemptions can be done with they are well-written, even when the character is a murderer. Besides, death doesn't really seems to be a fitting punishment and end for him, as the game itself implies with other characters' fates, such as Kamoshida. That being said, it's the fact that he killed many people is reason I think they would go for the amnesia route for his redemption. Seems to be the easiest route.

Spoiler

I'm with Thane on this one; Akechi getting redeemed and getting away scot-free with his crimes would be a massive cop-out, especially if it was because as something as weak and cliched as amnesia. He killed countless innocent people, including orphaning two party members, for his incredibly selfish goals, and every action of his boils down to him throwing a massive temper tantrum towards his father and society in general. While I'm normally against the "death = redemption" trope, I don't think there was any other way to Akechi to even remotely redeem himself in a way that didn't come off as contrived and forced.

29 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

Spoiler

You mean Ann's edgelord comment about Kamoshida having a change of heart being worse than death? If they go the "steal his heart" route, then it's not redemption, but punishment, if we follow the game's own logic here. Of course, it doesn't seem like the game has much logic when it comes to Akechi, seeing as how quick the playable characters are to forgive him in spite of him pretty much being worse than many of the people they had targeted previously, simply because he's young, pretty and the writers wanted us to sympathize with him.

If they choose to go for amnesia, then that's a cop-out if I ever saw one. 

Really, they'd have to change Akechi's actions if they want to paint a future redemption in a credible light.

Edited by Thane

I don't think

anyone thinks Akechi should get away scot-free. But, we've seen worse people get "redemption" in Persona 4. Adachi was an adult, and basically the Persona version of Elliot Rodgers, and he got a social link to try to humanize him a bit more(It was also so people who jumped in with Golden didn't immediately realize Adachi was the killer like people who played vanilla P4, but still), fully aware of his actions, doing them for no other reason than because he could, and he got away pretty light for nearly instigating the destruction of Japan, or whatever the fuck Izanami wanted to do. Akechi, comparatively, was a kid when he found out what he could do. And by that point, the thought of proving himself to his father and dealing with his loneliness drove him to continue doing it. 

He's still a bad dude who did bad things, but there's more to sympathize with him. Again, the main character spends two months in prison, so weirdly enough, there's actually a place where he and Akechi could bond in a place that makes sense without it seeming like Akechi is getting away with everything. Plus, Akechi's testimonial against Shido would probably be something he'd willingly do.

Now that I think about it, there's the possibility that in Person 5 FES that Akechi would take the fall for the MC, allowing the MC to spend the extra two months doing whatever happens after Yaldabaoth. Akechi goes to prison, everything against Shido sticks, MC gets to boink his girlfriend, and go on whacky Phantom Thieves adventures for another two months.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

Adachi was an adult

Spoiler

Doesn't matter. Akechi was fully aware of his crimes, just like Adachi, and they both blamed the circumstances surrounding them for actions they had full control over. 

Spoiler

And by that point, the thought of proving himself to his father and dealing with his loneliness drove him to continue doing it. 

Spoiler

That does not matter. Akechi murdered a lot of people and is more of a serial killer than Adachi ever was. His age or background do not change that, just like it wouldn't in a real life court of law.

Spoiler

He's still a bad dude who did bad things, but there's more to sympathize with him.

Spoiler

Sure, but unlike Adachi who only got a social link in Golden to show that he wasn't all bad, Akechi already has several of those moments and a social link before the definitive version even releases. However, also unlike Adachi, people are quick to forgive Akechi and feel bad for his death, even though he's a mass murderer and responsible for turning two of the Phantom Thieves into orphans.

Akechi goes out with a bang and we're supposed to feel sorry for him. Meanwhile, the Investigation Team tells Adachi off and hauls him away so that he can face his punishment.

Edited by Thane

58 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Doesn't matter. Akechi was fully aware of his crimes, just like Adachi, and they both blamed the circumstances surrounding them for actions they had full control over. 

Reveal hidden contents

That does not matter. Akechi murdered a lot of people and is more of a serial killer than Adachi ever was. His age or background do not change that, just like it wouldn't in a real life court of law.

Reveal hidden contents

Sure, but unlike Adachi who only got a social link in Golden to show that he wasn't all bad, Akechi already has several of those moments and a social link before the definitive version even releases. However, also unlike Adachi, people are quick to forgive Akechi and feel bad for his death, even though he's a mass murderer and responsible for turning two of the Phantom Thieves into orphans.

Akechi goes out with a bang and we're supposed to feel sorry for him. Meanwhile, the Investigation Team tells Adachi off and hauls him away so that he can face his punishment.

I think you're overestimating how much of a "redemption arc" people expect/want out of Akechi. I think him being around for the final dungeon, getting some scenes here and there, and then finally turning himself in to make sure Shido gets convicted instead of the MC is pretty acceptable. He gets to show his realization of all the shit he really did, maybe bond with the group a final time, then finally gets his comeuppance in a non-stupid way.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

I think you're overestimating how much of a "redemption arc" people expect/want out of Akechi. I think him being around for the final dungeon, getting some scenes here and there, and then finally turning himself in to make sure Shido gets convicted instead of the MC is pretty acceptable. He gets to show his realization of all the shit he really did, maybe bond with the group a final time, then finally gets his comeuppance in a non-stupid way.

Spoiler

I'm doing no such thing. I fully expect it will happen, but I don't think it will make much sense if you actually pause to think about what the bloke did, and I don't see it being done in a smooth fashion.

Just to take an example, "bond with the group a final time" translates to "the group he planned on deceiving from the very beginning, of which two members' relatives he personally killed".

I'm not opposed to him surviving long enough to be executed by the state, but to pretend he was friends with the Phantom Thieves is ludicrous.

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's exactly what I mean when I said redemption arc. No one wants to suddenly turn good, but to make him aware of the weight of his actions. Quite frankly, I was unsatisfied with how Akechi's story ended. I think him going to jail with the protagonist, and the two bond over there, would have been a much better way to end his story rather than an heroic sacrifice. The reason I keep saying that the writers are going to use amnesia as a Akechi's redemption arc is because it's the easiest way for him to appear in spin-offs. And Akechi is far to popular to not appear in spin-offs.

5 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

I'm doing no such thing. I fully expect it will happen, but I don't think it will make much sense if you actually pause to think about what the bloke did, and I don't see it being done in a smooth fashion.

Just to take an example, "bond with the group a final time" translates to "the group he planned on deceiving from the very beginning, of which two members' relatives he personally killed".

I'm not opposed to him surviving long enough to be executed by the state, but to pretend he was friends with the Phantom Thieves is ludicrous.

The two party members whose parents he killed were already feeling sympathy for him. I'm not saying he should be immediately forgiven, and if Haru and Futaba hate his presence, then fine. Plus, his actions at the end showed he had some affection for the party. He didn't sell out the members of the Phantom Thieves outside of the MC, when he easily could have and Shido could have just had them all killed immediately or arrested, and his breakdown was because of his conflicted feelings of what he's done and how he's felt about the party.

It certainly deserves more development than what we got, where he freaks out, realizes he was wrong, and sacrifices himself fighting a doppleganger of himself all in the span of about two minutes.

Edited by Slumber

7 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

Is Akechi dying really the best way to end his arc? Besides Akechi is a minor, did all those crimes as a minor, plus the state would have no way to prove his murder method. They wouldn't execute with that in mind. I think it's far more likely that he would end up in a mental ward.

Edited by Water Mage

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

The two party members whose parents he killed were already feeling sympathy for him.

Spoiler

That doesn't strike you as odd at all? Futaba who was all about never forgiving the people who murdered her mother feels sympathy for the guy who actually did the deed? The party giving a rat's ass about Akechi but not the other guys they reform just comes down to convenient writing and the writers telling you what to feel, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

He didn't sell out the members of the Phantom Thieves outside of the MC, and his breakdown was because of his conflicted feelings of what he's done and how he's felt about the party.

Spoiler

Wasn't that because he wanted them to scurry and flee? That breakdown part happened after he sacrificed his own sanity, and I'm not sure from where he would've gotten these conflicted feelings. The main character can be a total dick towards him all game and it's not like the other party members are any better. 

My point is that there should be absolutely no positive emotional connection between them.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

It certainly deserves more development than what we got, where he freaks out, realizes he was wrong, and sacrifices himself fighting a doppleganger of himself all in the span of about two minutes.

Spoiler

Sure, I'm not against more development. I think Akechi was handled very poorly. What I'm arguing against is making light of his actions. Persona 4 Golden had no qualms about making Adachi look like a piece of shit, just one with more sides to him than just being a straight up villain. Akechi already has that, and I don't want them to exaggerate his positive sides.

4 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

Is Akechi dying really the best way to end his arc?

Spoiler

I outright said I'm not opposed to him surviving long enough for the state to execute him, which is likely what they'd do.

5 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

Besides Akechi is a minor

Spoiler

"The cases of young people between the ages of fourteen and twenty can, at the judgment of police, be sent to the public prosecutor for possible trial as adults before a judge under the general criminal law."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan#Juveniles

5 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

plus the police would have no way to prove his murder method

Spoiler

An argument that doesn't really work in a series with Adachi in it. 

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
Spoiler

I think it's far more likely that he would end up in a mental ward.

Spoiler

Fine by me, so long as it doesn't come across as him and the protagonist and especially the rest of the Phantom Thieves have some kind of deep bond.

Gotta head to sleep now, guys. I'll respond more tomorrow!

Just now, Water Mage said:
  Hide contents

Is Akechi dying really the best way to end his arc? Besides Akechi is a minor, did all those crimes as a minor, plus the police would have no way to prove his murder method. They wouldn't execute with that in mind. I think it's far more likely that he would end up in a mental ward.

Spoiler

The fact that he's a minor is irrelevant; minors can and usually are tried as adults in cases where multiple murders are involved, or where the crimes committed are particularly heinous. The fact that they can't prove his methods is moot, because Adachi similarly couldn't prove his methods and he was still convicted. And finally, the fact that his crimes were mostly violent in nature means that any insanity plea would be thrown out in court, and that's not even getting into Japan's complicated relationship with mental illness as a whole. So unless the Phantom Thieves fix it so Akechi is never found responsible for his crimes, he's probably going to get the death penalty.

1 minute ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

That doesn't strike you as odd at all? Futaba who was all about never forgiving the people who murdered her mother feels sympathy for the guy who actually did the deed? The party giving a rat's ass about Akechi but not the other guys they reform just comes down to convenient writing and the writers telling you what to feel, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Hide contents

Wasn't that because he wanted them to scurry and flee? That breakdown part happened after he sacrificed his own sanity, and I'm not sure from where he would've gotten these conflicted feelings. The main character can be a total dick towards him all game and it's not like the other party members are any better. 

My point is that there should be absolutely no positive emotional connection between them.

Hide contents

Sure, I'm not against more development. I think Akechi was handled very poorly. What I'm arguing against is making light of his actions. Persona 4 Golden had no qualms about making Adachi look like a piece of shit, just one with more sides to him than just being a straight up villain. Akechi already has that, and I don't want them to exaggerate his positive sides.

Reveal hidden contents

I outright said I'm not opposed to him surviving long enough for the state to execute him, which is likely what they'd do.

Reveal hidden contents

"The cases of young people between the ages of fourteen and twenty can, at the judgment of police, be sent to the public prosecutor for possible trial as adults before a judge under the general criminal law."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan#Juveniles

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Fine by me, so long as it doesn't come across as him and the protagonist and especially the rest of the Phantom Thieves have some kind of deep bond.

It's never specified that Akechi wanted the rest of the Phantom Thieves dead. He told Shido to hold off on going after them, saying that they'd scurry and they'd deal with them eventually. However, we also know that Akechi was planning on killing Shido after his election. He may have been telling the truth to Shido and saying they'd get them eventually, but it seems odd to deliberately postpone their executions when he was planning on getting rid of Shido very soon. The Phantom Thieves besides the MC didn't know who Akechi was(Well, Akechi didn't think they knew), and he didn't have anything against them. It was all Shido who wanted the PTs dealt with.

The whole theme of the game is about getting people to pay for their crimes(In a non-violent/non-lethal manner) and getting them to admit their own wrongdoings. The way the whole Akechi storyline is RIGHT NOW doesn't feel fulfilling. Akechi never really atones for his wrong doings like everyone els, and just sort of dies off screen.

Plus, Akechi being around for that last dungeon might help sell Futaba and Haru's feelings of sympathy towards him, that even you felt was out of place.

30 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

27 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that he's a minor is irrelevant; minors can and usually are tried as adults in cases where multiple murders are involved, or where the crimes committed are particularly heinous. The fact that they can't prove his methods is moot, because Adachi similarly couldn't prove his methods and he was still convicted. And finally, the fact that his crimes were mostly violent in nature means that any insanity plea would be thrown out in court, and that's not even getting into Japan's complicated relationship with mental illness as a whole. So unless the Phantom Thieves fix it so Akechi is never found responsible for his crimes, he's probably going to get the death penalty.

I don't think Adachi really counts an example, because as shown in Ultimax, despite being in jail the police still hasn't enough evidence to make a proper case against him. I did some research, but I couldn't find they sentence people to death without proper evidence. And Adachi was shown to be still alive during the time of Persona 5, so it is possible that he hasn't gotten death sentence. Granted some people stay on death row for years before being executed.

Yeah, it seems like there's no way to deal with crimes done via Personas and shadows.

It's likely why Strega had to die, since Takaya was a nihilist with a hefty God complex, Jin was a total Takaya fanboy, and Chidori was the only decent one, dying to try bring back Junpei. Jin would likely would never admit to any crimes as long as Takaya didn't, and Takaya... again, nihilist with a God complex. They'd likely never pay for their crimes if they lived.

We also more or less get that with what happens at the end of P5. Nobody can really get anything that sticks on the MC, since he denies ever killing anyone, he never physically harmed anyone, Shido admits to everything. Even if they could verify the existence of a shadow world in court, the only thing the MC could really be convicted of is petty theft. Which is why his sentence gets lifted.

It'd be tough to say what they'd do to an actual murderer. Adachi is in prison, but not on death row from what we know. Probably the same deal would happen with Akechi. Enough to keep him in prison indefinitely, not enough to execute him.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:
Spoiler

Thinking it might be easier for all of us if I just write my stuff in bolded text instead.

It's never specified that Akechi wanted the rest of the Phantom Thieves dead. He told Shido to hold off on going after them, saying that they'd scurry and they'd deal with them eventually. However, we also know that Akechi was planning on killing Shido after his election. He may have been telling the truth to Shido and saying they'd get them eventually, but it seems odd to deliberately postpone their executions when he was planning on getting rid of Shido very soon. The Phantom Thieves besides the MC didn't know who Akechi was(Well, Akechi didn't think they knew), and he didn't have anything against them. It was all Shido who wanted the PTs dealt with.

"He didn't kill them, and he might have been lying about taking care of them later" is not much of a defense. You could just as easily claim that he thought it'd bring too much attention to themselves to have them all arrested or killed. This is not something I take as him having a connection to a group that wanted nothing to do with him, and that he lied to for months upon months.

The whole theme of the game is about getting people to pay for their crimes(In a non-violent/non-lethal manner) and getting them to admit their own wrongdoings. The way the whole Akechi storyline is RIGHT NOW doesn't feel fulfilling. Akechi never really atones for his wrong doings like everyone els, and just sort of dies off screen.

I've never argued against doing something else with Akechi. What I think wouldn't work is a redemption story, especially one guided by his popularity, since it would make light of all the horrible shit he did. 

Plus, Akechi being around for that last dungeon might help sell Futaba and Haru's feelings of sympathy towards him, that even you felt was out of place.

You mean the same Futaba and Haru who knew all along that he was setting them up? From their point of view, he killed their mother/father respectively and then tried worming his way into their group to destroy what they were striving towards. If anything they should barely be able to control themselves, let alone start feeling sympathetic towards him.

When your favorite causes all the discourse

OWnLu1B.jpg

on a less... heated, but still related topic to goro akechi

robbie daymond was a brilliant casting choice
in fact thats something i have to really applaud him, after hearing him as prompto and comparing him to goro, i'm surprised at how good he was at the deranged lines akechi says

speaking of goro 2.0, did you know there was a cognitive goro in sae's mental casino? they had to knock him out and hide him away
he was actually a nice guy who did nothing wrong, as sae saw him to be, so it was like they beat up an innocent

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/20/atlus-registered-bunch-different-persona-domains/

Well, this is interesting. Is Atlus already working on spin-offs? But it also could mean nothing. Though I wonder how Morgana would work on a fighting game. He´s a little too small for them.

Edited by Water Mage