Persona 5

Corrobin

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excited, going out to get it on Tuesday when it comes out.

Will have to work with the PS3 version, though, need to save money and I can't afford a PS4, but I don't especially mind.

13 minutes ago, Thane said:

Okay. This did not work in Persona 3's favor.

That's highly subjective.

That's also highly subjective.

Look, I expect a high quality product, but there are things that concern me in how the game is presented.

This isn't just my opinion... (well, it is my opinion, but I'm not the only one with it), multiple review have stated in no uncertain terms that this is the best Persona game yet for all the reasons I listed. The story is good, the writing is good, the characters are good, the music is good, the art style is good, the gameplay is good, and all the bad things are so small that they barely exist. That is what a majority of reviews have said.

And the review scores have been high across the board, with 9s and 10s abundant.

I suppose you could say I'm looking forward to the game. However, I'm not sure if I'll be able to play it right away--I'm kind of broke right now, plus my PS3 lately hasn't been too good with reading discs, so I'm kind of concerned about spending money on a game only to have it not work.

Buuut maybe sometime later this year I'll buy it. It seems like it's been doing pretty well with reviewers.

Spoiler

Plus, aren't demon negotiations also a thing in this game?

Just now, Corrobin said:

That is what a majority of reviews have said.

And the review scores have been high across the board, with 9s and 10s abundant.

I fail to see your point. Just to give you an example, several major reviewers praised each of Fates' three separate stories, and I remember one comment being along the lines of "each entry features a gripping, fulfilling story", and the general consensus is that Fates has very poor writing. 

Reviews come from regular people like you and me, and thus they are subjective, just like the things you brought up. If I say that the art style is not for me, are you going to tell me that I'm objectively wrong? 

I don't know why you seem to be so defensive about this. I told you I'm expecting a high quality title, but that the presentation and how they've described several elements put me off. I hope I'm wrong, but bringing up review scores won't suddenly make me dig the art style.

I'm excited for this, despite not having a PS of any kind anymore. I'm probably just going to watch a play through of it until I can afford both the game and system.

That said, I hope the Social Links in this game are good. I already know I'm going to love everything else about it from what little footage I've spoiled myself on. The "supports" are the only things I'm a bit skeptical over as I wasn't really a fan of a majority Social Links in the past two games. The only really outstanding one I can think of that I truly enjoyed was Teddie's because his overall development was resolved throughout both his social link and the main story line. 

Which brings up another thing. I wish the main party was developed more throughout the main story. P3P was all right in that respect.

But, anyways, I really can't wait for this to release! 

41 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

I suppose you could say I'm looking forward to the game. However, I'm not sure if I'll be able to play it right away--I'm kind of broke right now, plus my PS3 lately hasn't been too good with reading discs, so I'm kind of concerned about spending money on a game only to have it not work.

Buuut maybe sometime later this year I'll buy it. It seems like it's been doing pretty well with reviewers.

Hide contents

Plus, aren't demon negotiations also a thing in this game?

Yes, they are.

obviously radical anti-capitalist themes wouldn't really be palatable in a mainstream video game, so i think that's why we're getting a more vague "rebel against authority" thing here.  the main character's persona is based on arsene lupin, who was based on noted anarchist/illegalist marius jacob.  so for me coming from that perspective, the theme of the game sounds pretty great.

I've already been spoiled on the story, but I'm going to get the game anyway because Atlus deserves the support. (That being said, I do have some issues with the story, but I expect to at least like most of the characters, similar to my feelings on P4.)

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:
  Hide contents

Using Lucipher to headshot God/Yaldaboath is something so edgy I don't think even SMT has gone there.

Spoiler

Sataneal =/= Lucifer, Yaldaboath alias the Demiurge =/= God/YHVH (no matter what Strange Journey says), and the idea of "Satan headshotting God" being the edgiest thing in the series is laughable considering two games end with outright deicide against YHVH and a third ends with the protagonist being hand-picked by Lucifer to lead his armies in war against YHVH. (And also Amaterasu going on a bizarre anti-Abrahamic god rant apropos of nothing in SMT II.)

16 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sataneal =/= Lucifer, Yaldaboath alias the Demiurge =/= God/YHVH (no matter what Strange Journey says), and the idea of "Satan headshotting God" being the edgiest thing in the series is laughable considering two games end with outright deicide against YHVH and a third ends with the protagonist being hand-picked by Lucifer to lead his armies in war against YHVH. (And also Amaterasu going on a bizarre anti-Abrahamic god rant apropos of nothing in SMT II.)

I knew most of that

; summoning Lucifer to literally score a headshot on Yaldaboath just feels too edgy for one moment.

Honestly even if this game is edgy, I think I'll be fine with it. I guess that could be its saving grace for me, I'm just really use to over the top edge and, in general, over the topness in both my own writing and games I think I'd be fine with it.

1 hour ago, Radiant head said:

anyone know what the difficulty levels are like compared to 3/4?  

I don't know about direct comparisons, like how Hard in P5 compares to Hard in those games, but I do have the modifiers.

• Safety - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0
  • Easy - Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
  • Normal - Damage received: x1.0 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
  • Hard - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
  • Challenge DLC - Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4 - Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

ok thanks.  sounds pretty standard based on the menu where you can customize difficulty in the previous games ng+

getting the game in less than two weeks, but I've been playing 4 and moving really slowly due to being busy so the wait won't be too bad 

Another thing about difficulty: You can change your difficulty anytime, but if you change it Safety you are stuck with it until the difficulty selection at the start of a NG+ file.

For those in EU and US (aka most of us), the PSN has updated with the free 4/4 DLC, which includes the Japanese audio, the Merciless (Challenge) difficulty, a healing item set (1 Soul Food, 3 Revival Beads, and 1 Soma), and a skill card set (Agi, Bufu, Zio, Garu, Psy, Frei, Eiha, Kouha, Dia, Tarukaja, Rakukaja, and Sukukaja). The Japanese audio is actual DLC, while the others are just things you "purchase" that unlocks the things ingame (like a key).

24 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

guessing take your heart out won't come with dlc

The Take Your Heart Edition does not come with any DLC, correct. I believe that is only the digital pre-order.

Will the price for the PS3 version drop or rise in the future?
On the one hand I find 50€ for a PS3 game too much (40€ is standard) so I hope for a price drop, but on the other hand we're talking about a game for a console which is going to die. So I'm afraid this game will become rare and very expensive.

Shall I wait or shall I buy this game as early as possible?