Persona 5

Corrobin

Apparently the localization kinda sucks. Yeah, there's people bitching over little changes a la Fates, but the actual localization itself seems to be rough around the edges, with the translation feeling too literal and stilted at some points to outright not making full sense in others and the dubbing being inconsistent: https://www.destructoid.com/some-fans-are-pissed-about-persona-5-s-localization-429577.phtml

Seems like they may have rushed this out. Love to hear the opinions of people on here who've got it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently playing through the game as well, on PS3. I've beaten the first dungeon, so I'll share a couple thoughts. 

-The dungeons are both more complex and longer than Persona 4's; they're clearly designed with multiple trips in mind. I don't know how I feel about this, as on the one hand it's definitely an improvement on how boring and marathon-able Tartarus and the Persona 4 dungeons were, but on the other hand it feels like they've made SP items purposefully scarcer in an attempt to cut down on marathoning dungeons.

-The menu and combat UIs are great. I've heard complaints that the menu UIs are too cluttered, but I think it fits in well with the chaotic nature of the Thieves, and I can appreciate any design where I can look at it again and notice a detail I hadn't noticed before.

-Really, the visual design as a whole is fantastic. It's striking, stylized and fits perfectly with the tone of the game.

-Ryuji is one of the downsides, as he's the stereotypical hot-headed, book dumb idiot who charges into things without thinking. I'm hoping his Co-Op will warm me up to him more, but it's not looking good so far.

-Ann best girl, 10/10, would recruit to change society again.

-Morgana is great. He's cute, has a fitting voice, and most of the antics involving him so far have been pretty funny. Plus he's the party healer and they're always useful (unless their name is Yukari).

17 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Apparently the localization kinda sucks. Yeah, there's people bitching over little changes a la Fates, but the actual localization itself seems to be rough around the edges, with the translation feeling too literal and stilted at some points to outright not making full sense in others and the dubbing being inconsistent: https://www.destructoid.com/some-fans-are-pissed-about-persona-5-s-localization-429577.phtml

Seems like they may have rushed this out. Love to hear the opinions of people on here who've got it.

Hmm, I haven't noticed much of this beyond the occasionally wonky voice acting, but occasionally wonky is something I've come to expect out of English dubs regardless. I wouldn't doubt if they did rush it to avoid fans getting any angrier about the release date pushback.

Edited by AzureSen

I might grab the PS3 version, considering I still haven't finished 4 yet, I know they aren't connected, but I like doing game series in order haha.

Speaking of which, do people know the differences? I'm not really planning on grabbing a PS4 for quite some time (probably not until Trails of Cold Steel 3 gets localized). 

1 minute ago, Konnor97 said:

The only differences are quality and load times. Persona 5 was originally marketed as just for PS3.

Yeah, I just figured when they did the shift to PS4, the PS3 version would get utterly shafted, like not having as good a frame rate and such.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah, I just figured when they did the shift to PS4, the PS3 version would get utterly shafted, like not having as good a frame rate and such.

Thanks.

The PS3 version runs great, at least on my end. Everything still looks fantastic despite the supposed lesser quality, and the only bad load time I've had so far is when the game first booted up but otherwise it's been loading fairly consistently quickly.

I'm at the second dungeon.

Yusuke has stolen my heart.

Edit: 30+ hours in, beaten second dungeon

Edited by Ebony

Scattered thoughts post the second dungeon and some minor events afterwards:

Spoiler

I'm only watching a playthrough so I can only comment on the story, music etc. 

First of all, the first dungeon was great. It really felt like there was a lot at stake and you got to personally connect with all the people suffering under Kamoshida. However, it stands in such a stark contrast to the second dungeon, which feels like it comes out of nowhere and never presents the same feeling of urgency or personal connection.

The music that plays when you've sent the calling card is absolutely phenomenal. It's really my jam.

I love how much more dynamic the dungeons are! Splitting up, having to do stuff in the real world to advance...it's absolutely brilliant, and far better than the randomized dungeons in Persona 3 an 4.

I'm not sold on any playable character right now, but Makoto, who we all know is going to join sooner rather than later, seems very interesting, not to mention completely adorable - she follows you around in the most obvious fashion possible while pretending to read a book.

Doesn't Morgana seem a little too similar to Teddie? Both are mascot characters who're very into girls and have lost their memories yet still know a lot about how the other worlds work. I think this game would've been cooler if the protagonist was the one who learned to do this little by little all by himself, but meh, we'll see. Whatever plot twist is waiting I'm sure it's going to be a big one.

Speaking of characters, man I love how your homeroom teacher moonlights as a maid. I have high hopes for that Social Link.

Crikey does the dialogue get heavy-handed and preachy at times. Mostly it's from Ryuji, but holy crap.

Also, these guys are not very careful about maintaining their secret identities. Not only do they loudly proclaim their intentions, plans and what have you out in the open, but they also freely text each other about it.

Overall I'm really enjoying watching this walkthrough, but there are some hiccups that bother me.

Edited by Thane

I just finished the second palace. Boss was harder than Kamoshida, but it still didn't feel that hard. I don't know if I'm over leveled or not. Level 13 was definitely over leveled for Kamoshida, and 19 feels a little over for the second boss. Matador's Swift Strike was pretty useful. Playing on Hard mode.

Thieves' Guild is pretty neat. Although it annoys me a little bit when I see people hanging out with people I can't. Still, now that I've cleared the second palace, I can finally start the confidant with best girl.

I'm at the part where

Makoto got her Persona, and damn, that was a cool moment. Oh, and I also love the fact that she follows you around before she joins. It was a nice touch.

I personally finding the english voice acting in this game great, my only real problem was Ann in the beginning, but she gets better later.

Gameplay wise, I'm finding Ryuji to be the best party member. His Rampage attack is just too good.

I'm really liking Morgana as a mascot character. I liked Teddie, but he could annoying at times, where Morgana isn't really annoying. And I love the how Morgana is in your bag while you walk around. I find it adorable. 

Also, is anyone else findind the comments on the loading screen to be...disturbingly realistic?

13 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Also, is anyone else findind the comments on the loading screen to be...disturbingly realistic?

It's honestly really, really funny.

I'm on the fourth leg of the story, beat the third dungeon. This game is an utter blast. I'm probably having more fun with this game then I did P4 and P3. I'm enjoying the cast more so far too. There's nobody I actually flat out dislike or find myself annoyed by.

I cried tears of hilarity. There's basically a group that is Anonymous later on. It's actually hilarious.

I haven't got as much time as I'd like within the past couple days, but Yusuke and Toranosuke are probably my favorites. Too bad I'm not gonna do more of Tora's confidant until quite a bit later in the game since he's rank 2. Sojiro, Tae, Ann, and Kawakami are all pretty good too.

I generally like all of the cast as of right now, though I am only on the beginning of the second dungeon (I'm watching a play though on YT).

One thing I do appreciate is that, from what I can see, the non-party member Social Links all appear albeit briefly in the main story line, which I feel helps them have at least a tiny bit of relevance and makes it seem as if the Social Link doesn't come completely out of nowhere.

Also, completely loving the BGM for the second dungeon. It gives me a feeling so complicated.

Edited by saisymbolic
elaboration

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Who are you guys' favorite characters so far? Personally I find Makoto and Sojiro to be the most interesting right now.

Four Palaces in, and I'm liking to neutral on most of the cast I've met so far, minus the one exception I've mentioned earlier. Personally, Ann, Makoto, Yusuke, Morgana, the Velvet Twins and Sae are the ones I like the most or find the most interesting. Ann feels like Lisa Silverman all over again, in that she feels like a person with her own goals, motivations and issues. Makoto, Yusuke and Morgana are all likable with their own quirks, and the Velvet Twins are pretty funny. Sae's an interesting case in that I don't actually like her, since she's actually been fairly unnecessarily antagonistic so far, but there's clearly more to her story than meets the eye and I'm interested to see where her story goes.

1 minute ago, AzureSen said:

Four Palaces in, and I'm liking to neutral on most of the cast I've met so far, minus the one exception I've mentioned earlier. Personally, Ann, Makoto, Yusuke, Morgana, the Velvet Twins and Sae are the ones I like the most or find the most interesting. Ann feels like Lisa Silverman all over again, in that she feels like a person with her own goals, motivations and issues. Makoto, Yusuke and Morgana are all likable with their own quirks, and the Velvet Twins are pretty funny. Sae's an interesting case in that I don't actually like her, since she's actually been fairly unnecessarily antagonistic so far, but there's clearly more to her story than meets the eye and I'm interested to see where her story goes.

I'm pretty surprised by just how unremarkable Ryuji is. He's pretty much exactly what I expected, and that's boring.

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm pretty surprised by just how unremarkable Ryuji is. He's pretty much exactly what I expected, and that's boring.

Ryuji feels to me like they were trying to go for another Junpei or Yosuke but utterly forgot what made those two interesting and likable. I mentioned this while talking to a friend last night so this is timely, but with Junpei and Yosuke even when they got crap they deserved I still felt a little bad for them because at the end of the day they were just dumb teenage boys who do eventually grow out of the worst of their behavior. Ryuji, in contrast, I don't feel bad for at all when he gets the shade he rightfully deserves, because he's worse than them in every way.

Edited by AzureSen

Three favorites so far are probably Yusuke, Makoto, and Futaba.

I've gotten past the fourth dungeon. This game only is getting better.

I wasn't really feeling Makoto at first, but, after seeing her Persona awakening, I'm starting to warm up to her.

Spoiler

Were they thinking of Snow Villiers when they were designing it?

I'm still romancing either Futaba, the teacher or Chihaya when I get the game, though.

Also

Spoiler

I bet Goro Akechi is the "traitor." He's giving me straight Light Yagami vibes, man.

44 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

Hide contents

I bet Goro Akechi is the "traitor." He's giving me straight Light Yagami vibes, man.

Speculation spoilers.

Spoiler

Tell me about it, and his sudden comment to Makoto about her being a goody two-shoes pushover just came out of nowhere. I'm sure he'll join you and that his Social Link will change, just like Adachi's.

I wonder what role Sae will play in all of this.