Nintendo E3 2017

Tolvir

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Its more they were creatively bankrupt with their own ideas, probably saw AM2R (or maybe not) and went "Damn thats a good way to make a new metroid" 

I'm just being a cynical asshole.

You do sound kind of like a cynical asshole. But regardless, it IS their property. They have the right to cease and desist. And if this was in development in a while before they noticed AM2R, why wouldn't they do it? But in any case, would it ever be okay for them to release Samus Returns after Cease and Desisting AM2R? I feel bad a fan game got a lot of work put into it, but one reason AM2R got popular is because it uses the Metroid name. If this was a game that has an original branding and characters, then it might not have gained the popularity it did

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

You do sound kind of like a cynical asshole. But regardless, it IS their property. They have the right to cease and desist. And if this was in development in a while before they noticed AM2R, why wouldn't they do it? But in any case, would it ever be okay for them to release Samus Returns after Cease and Desisting AM2R? I feel bad a fan game got a lot of work put into it, but one reason AM2R got popular is because it uses the Metroid name. If this was a game that has an original branding and characters, then it might not have gained the popularity it did

Yes I fully understand its in their right. Thats not my problem here. 

I just find the entire thing really scummy, plus i'm not very confident in mercury steam. They made Lords of Shadow, the death knell of the Castlevania franchise.

12 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Its more they were creatively bankrupt with their own ideas, probably saw AM2R (or maybe not) and went "Damn thats a good way to make a new metroid" 

Would you rather Nintendo seen AM2R and said "welp, we were too late, let's cancel ours"?

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Have you even looked at the game it looks like Zero Mission and absolutely fetching nothing like AM2R it is not inspired in anyway by the game, It is inspired even aesthetically only by Zero Mission. The idea probably come from hey people like Zero Mission why don't we do that for Metroid 2 it deserves a official remake, while not being aware of AM2R. 

Just now, Gustavos said:

Would you rather Nintendo seen AM2R and said "welp, we were too late, let's cancel ours"?

I would have have liked them hire the guy and make AM2R official. 

7 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It seems that some people need a lesson on how fair use works.

Making something infringes copyright just by existing is a waste of talent, make something original and make money off it instead.

Who said anything about fair use? They are within their right and law to do so, I'm just saying it's obviously a shitty practice that should be criticised heavily. Which it is. Pretty sad that people defend such draconian practices.

Just now, Jedi said:

I would have have liked them hire the guy and make AM2R official. 

Solicited game ideas is a tricky legal area, even if they hired the guy. Furthermore, that would be 2 remakes of the same game in development. Clearly the fan and Nintendo have different visions for Metroid 2. 

I'd bet a lot that Nintendo stole those ideas. Not like I'm surprised, though... At least they still make good games (Pokemon and Metroid for the Switch) so I can give money to a company more irritating than Capcom.

Nintendo can also put its hand in its pants and **** itself too for announcing a fighting game circuit without Smash too. Switch port=EZ$$$

Edited by Comet

E3 was pretty good, shame we didn't get any word on FE Switch (nor a new Animal Crossing or Pikmin 4), but that new Kirby game looks really good. I like how they're reintroducing the buddy system from Super Star, but with 4 player co-op from Kirby's Return to Dream Land. That was probably my favourite game revealed so far. Nice to see Metroid getting some love though, 7 years without a console game is never fun, covering both consoles is a nice way to win back fans, win over some new people and get more people picking up Switches for 2018. Not their best E3 ever, but still rather good.

Nintendo's practice of DMCA and fair use violation is pretty draconian and wrong but it can be traced back to a case back in 1984 when they first entered the market where Universal tried to sue Nintendo's use of Donkey Kong claiming it infringed on their trade mark of King Kong.  Nintendo won the case and Universal even tried to appeal it but the verdict was upheld.  I suspect this experience probably set a precedent on how they decided to handle copyright within the US.  It doesn't help that US law requires that if you trademark something that you HAVE to defend it against everything else risk losing your trademark on the item, property, brand etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_City_Studios,_Inc._v._Nintendo_Co.,_Ltd.

Didn't they hire the Sonic game-makers for Sonic Mania? Nintendo did the complete opposite for AM2R's tiny team.

3 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Didn't they hire the Sonic game-makers for Sonic Mania? Nintendo did the complete opposite for AM2R's tiny team.

They hired one of the biggest names of the Sonic hacking community to use his skill for ports (His port and improvement of CD is even considered the definitive version of Sonic CD) and now Mania. 

Also I will admit my salt was a bit bigger than it should have been, but man I felt like it was really scummy of Nintendo to do even with the rights & such.

Edited by Jedi

@Jedi Its better than the devs of your favorite series ever going "screw you and everybody who made the games succeed in the West, we're pursuing moneyhats and a different audience because we might make more money and PS we aren't localizing a game you were hyped for that's already half localized because screw you again."

That's scummy.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions! A remake of the original M&L, with an additional and extensive Bowser's Minions mode (which appears to be optional for those who don't want to deal with it fortunately- unlike Giant and Papercraft battles).

While the additional shadowing and shading makes things less whimsy and bright compared to the GBA original, the transition to Dream Team/Paper Jam aesthetics looks pretty good.

Wonder if they're going to add new Bros. Attacks, boss rushes, or insane reflex challenges like Mad Skillz and Cholesteroad.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Here's a story: about 15 years ago my family took a family vacation. My parents let my brother and I each get a GBA game for the road. We got Fire Emblem and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. We both loved both games.

Today at E3 Nintendo showed trailers for Fire Emblem Warriors and a remake of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's all coming around. What a day.

Can finally have Metroid Prime fans and the Pokemon console cult hush up.

Also, surprisingly got a 2D metroid, which shows that good metroid is not yet dead. Huzzah!

Tiki amiibo, yus yus.

Good e3 for me. They didn't convince me to keep my switch, however.

Metroid 2: Cease & Desist kind of looks a bit tacky in my opinion. Compared to fine pixel art I remember from Fusion and Zero Mission, the 3D isn't very appealing.

55 minutes ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

@The DanMan out of curiosity, what were you referencing?

Most likely Monster Hunter and the fact that there were no news regarsing the localization of MHXX and that MH World is being released on every system other than the Switch.

Ok, now that i'm home from work, i can post my full thoughts on Nintendo's E3 Direct (i did the same over at Smashboards so i'll just copy-paste it here)

Thoughts on the E3 Nintendo Direct

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2. YES PLEASE! We finally get our first full look at the game. I got Noragami vibes when Pyra transformed into Rex's sword. The game's world looks as impressive as always, and the game's been confirmed to have a 2017 release! Turns out that XC2 is using the same engine as XCX, hence the faster development time. The menu's look really nice and so does the combat. So it turns out Pyra, as well as other Blades, aren't playable characters, but rather, support characters. You can switch between any Blade at any time, and even switch them up between other party members, allowing for good variety in combat. Some people have expressed their dislike of the character desings, and if you are one of those people, just remember that Xenoblade loves customization, and you'll be able to change characters' equipment, which will change their appearances, even in cutscenes. AND THE MUSIC!!!!! IT'S SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • A new Kirby is always good.
  • Main series Pokemon game coming to the Switch. That's nice. It'll be weird not having the second screen though.
  • Yoshi. The start of the trailer made me think it was Paper Mario. I don't really play Yoshi games but it's nice.
  • Metroid Prime 4 (and Metorid: Samus Returns, which was revealed later on). I don't play Metorid a whole lot but i'm so happy for Metroid fans. Hey, if Bubsy could come back, so can Samus. Now we just need an F-Zero game.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors. The dub sounds nice, outside of the sibling protagonists. They sound a bit cheesy. I like what i've seen of the gameplay. Also, Chrom and Tiki Amiibos. I guess Tiki is confirmed as a playable character too.
  • Breath of the Wild DLC. We already knew the full details of the first pack but it's nice to see that the second pack contains a new story featuring the four Champions. And they have Amiibo for each one. Oh, you hear that? That's the sound of scalpers buying them all and Nintendo never restocking.
  • Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Looks nice. Next. Honestly, Ubisoft already went into detail with it yesterday. It didn't need to show up again in the Direct.
  • Never played Rocket League. Heard it's good though. May try it.
  • Super Mario Odyssey. Like the last trailer, i thought it was a completely different game thanks to the dinosaur. But nope, it's Mario. I think Mario being able to posses a dinosaur was enough to give Nintendo the gold medal at E3. Yeah, Nintendo won E3 this year. Also, Mario can posses just about anything. Including trees.
  • Mari&Luigi: Superstar Saga DX+Bowser's Minions. I'm excited for the remake, since i never completed the original version.

Oh, and btw here are those amazing Xenoblade 2 songs i was talking about. There are four samples up on the Japanse website but naturally, they've been uploaded to YouTube.

Spoiler

This sounds like a remix of Engage the Enemy and that's why it's amazing and why it's the best out of these four songs. But the other three are really good.

Spoiler

Sounds like the main theme of this game.

Spoiler

This sounds like the battle theme for Unique Monsters/Tyrants. Or it could just be a boss battle them. Either way, it's amazing and i love it. I'm getting Mechanical Rhythm and You Will Know Our Names vibes from this one.

Spoiler

Sounds like an area theme. It reminds me of Satorl Marsh and Sylvalum.

Wow, Nintendo really impressed me with all of this. Easily won E3 imo.

What sucks is that I did NOT expect so many things to release this fall. RIP wallet. But everything will be worth it (probably)