Female Avatar pairing help

Kate21

I am playing with a female avatar and wanted the best children in the game. Story does not matter so much as I can play them through other ways. I am now at the Chapter where Chrom will have to get married. I have read most people suggest him as the husband even over Olivia or Sumia (the other pairings I read the most).

For the best outcome who would be the best for Chrom to get married too? Female avatar, Olivia or Sumia? If it is Olivia I will have to restart as he has C relationship with both Sumia, and FEMU. But will so if the benefits are worth it.

If your advising the female avatar to marry someone else whom would you suggest. I am very new to the series so any help would beneficial. Most posts I see on pairings are about male avatar pairings so why I created a new topic.

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I'd say Sumia is best as far as Chrom's wife is concerned.

So you would suggest her over female avatar? What are your thoughts on female avatar? So I marry her later on to a 2nd gen or someone else 1st gen?

59 minutes ago, Kate21 said:

So you would suggest her over female avatar? What are your thoughts on female avatar? So I marry her later on to a 2nd gen or someone else 1st gen?

What are your asset and flaw? I can't make a recommendation without knowing those.

Yeah, I'd suggest having Chrom hook up with Sumia. This gives Lucina Galeforce and you can't really complain about those stats. In regards to your avatar, I'd suggest hooking up with one of the second gen characters based on which asset/flaw you selected. Generally speaking you can't go wrong with Lon'qu!Yarne. This provides you with an insanely fast version of Morgan who also has access to the Taguel class which, if equipped with a beaststone+, has better skill and speed than the Assassin class.

Personally when I do Apotheosis and Lunatic runs, I always marry either MU x Chrom because bias and so many classes available to Lucina, or Olivia x Chrom. I remember I took a look at their stat modifiers a while back, lemme see if I can find that... from what I remember, Olivia!Lucina is slightly stronger with higher defense offset by slightly lower skill, speed, and resistance. Still, the differences in stats are pretty minor.

Note that Olivia also passes down the Peg Knight class. You would have to grind Lucina to get Galeforce, but she would still get Galeforce if you put the effort in to getting it. Olivia also gives Lucina the change to get Vantage, Swordfaire, and Astra among others - but Sumia gives Lucina the chance to get Pavise, Aegis, and Renewal among other skills. So Sumia makes a more defensive Lucina whereas Olivia makes a more offensive Lucina. In any case, I've heard that Chrom makes both Inigo and Cynthia great but I'm too tired to look into that and what second gen pairing might be best with your Avatar, but I do recall hearing that Ricken!Owain or Ricken!Laurent and Chrom!Inigo were great fathers for Morgan.

Another factor to consider would be if you want to grind Olivia x Chrom during that chapter. It's a pain.
Anyways I'm by no means an expert at Awakening marriages so don't take my word for it completely lol.
Edited by Dolce

So Chrom shouldn't be paired with FEMU but Sumia or Olivia. I think I will go with Sumia as it will be much easier since they already interacted. But Olivia does seem interesting too.

Now I just need to find a man for my FEMU unit. Like I said she is +spd -lck. I just hope those assets and flaws are not terrible choices on my part.

Yeah, honestly those three are already the best wifes for Chrom so any of them would make a great partner for your game I think.

I'm pretty sure you actually chose the arguably best asset and flaw for your Avatar. In easier modes, it doesn't really matter but I remember when I was prepping for my Lunatic game, it sounded like it's impossibly difficult without a +Spd Avatar lol - and a +Lck Avatar is not really helpful at all, so I agree with your decisions for your asset and flaw.

Edited by Dolce

Yeah, Sumia or Olivia gives pretty good Lucinas. I personally like to go with Olivia because you'll also get a good Inigo from it too. 

As for the FeMU, I'd personally go for one of the Paralouge characters/FeMU only characters, because that way I don't have to worry too much about who Robin's taking from the first generation. It doesn't give the best Morgan though, since to get the best Morgan, Robin needs to marry one of the children characters.

10 hours ago, Kate21 said:

My asset is speed and flaw is luck.

Hm... your Avatar has an attack deficit due to -Luck, but the combination is still not anywhere close to bad. That said, Sumia!Lucina (and Chrom!Cynthia by extension) has ridiculous Skill and Speed modifiers, the Aether + Luna proc combination, three good faires in Lancefaire, Tomefaire, or Bowfaire, and access to very good classes on the physical or magical side for Apotheosis that can use said -faires (and reach the maximum Speed cap needed to double anything in Apotheosis if I remember correctly, thanks to the aforementioned Speed modifier). It also frees up your Avatar's child (pass Galeforce down to him) to marry Lucina and make an extremely powerful couple for Apotheosis. On top of that, Chrom and Sumia as a couple can be used offensively in Apotheosis and Cynthia benefits more from having Chrom as a father than Inigo does (as she inherits Aether + the same class loadout as Lucina except the Lord tree).

If your Avatar married Chrom, she could potentially fight alongside him in Apotheosis, but she's nothing special compared to the children and her flaw hurts her on either offensive end. On top of that, while Avatar!Lucina is quite possibly the best unit in the entire game, Chrom!Morgan is probably one of the worst versions of M!Morgan that you can have (still useful, just barred from getting his best wife).

Depends on who Owain's father is you could always marry Owain.  One time I had the avatar marry Ricken! Owain and Morgan had 40 Speed at level 7 Swordmaster and the Avatar's asset and flaw was the same as yours.   If you marry another gen 1 unit you are going to have train an extra unit to get all the kids, that's why it's easier to marry a gen 2 unit or a gen 1.5 (Basilio, Gangrel, Walhart) unit than it is to marry a gen 1 unit.

Edited by MeddlingMage

11 minutes ago, MeddlingMage said:

Depends on who Owain's father is you could always marry Owain.  One time I had the avatar marry Ricken! Owain and Morgan had 40 Speed at level 7 Swordmaster and the Avatar's asset and flaw was the same as yours.   If you marry another gen 1 unit you are going to have train an extra unit to get all the kids, that's why it's easier to marry a gen 2 unit or a gen 1.5 (Basilio, Gangrel, Walhart) unit than it is to marry a gen 1 unit.

I definitely agree with this on Owain. In my current Lunatic run (same asset and flaw as you), I'm planning to marry Ricken!Owain - Ricken is arguably the best father to give Magic and with that behind Owain's belt, he would make a great father for Morgan in turn. I think I took a look at the stat modifiers before I chose who to marry but iirc he gave a whopping +9 magic, +3 spd, +4 lck, and +4 res. Of course this is basically irrelevant if you don't want endgame Morgan to be a magic class though lol.

1 hour ago, Dolce said:

I definitely agree with this on Owain. In my current Lunatic run (same asset and flaw as you), I'm planning to marry Ricken!Owain - Ricken is arguably the best father to give Magic and with that behind Owain's belt, he would make a great father for Morgan in turn. I think I took a look at the stat modifiers before I chose who to marry but iirc he gave a whopping +9 magic, +3 spd, +4 lck, and +4 res. Of course this is basically irrelevant if you don't want endgame Morgan to be a magic class though lol.

What I usually did was had Owain go through Assassin first, so Owain could pas down Lethality to Morgan.  Then the female Avatar passed down Veteran (on my non-Galeforce run) or Galeforce to Morgan.  Then when Morgan reached level 16 at Swordmaster, I used the second seal and changed him into a Grandmaster.  Morgan was the best kid in that run.

Owain is usually my first choice to marry if the Avatar is female because for the simple reason is depending on which guy is going to be Lissa's husband.  If Lissa marries Libra or Henry, it will be a little hard for to get Owain early enough to get Morgan super early unless you grind a lot (which is something I do on my no Galeforce runs).

Thanks guys this is all really useful stuff and I am glad my asset and flaw pick was not bad, I had read nothing about it and was just my own pick. This is my first fire emblem experience so I am just getting used to all the different things that make the game really does have a lot of strategy. Seems like I am learning something new all the time and this has been really helpful!

9 hours ago, Kate21 said:

Thanks guys this is all really useful stuff and I am glad my asset and flaw pick was not bad, I had read nothing about it and was just my own pick. This is my first fire emblem experience so I am just getting used to all the different things that make the game really does have a lot of strategy. Seems like I am learning something new all the time and this has been really helpful!

+Speed is usually the go to Asset in this game depending on who you are going to marry.  Most people choose between either -Luck, -Resistance, or even -Defense for their flaw.  I usually choose either luck or defense for the flaw, but it depends on who I am going to marry.  Owain is one the best Magic kids in the game because of Lissa.  Which is what makes Ricken! Owain so good.  Also you can just give a Levin Sword to either Lissa or Chrom when they talk to Owain and then you can pass it on to Owain.  In the Ricken! Owain pairing it's always good to give him a Levin Sword because his strength starts out low because of both his Mom and Ricken.  Whenever I don't grind, so basically no Galeforce, I usually pass on Miracle from Lissa to Owain.

Owain is probably my second favorite kid in the game (if you don't include Morgan) and Lucina is my favorite kid.

How about marrying whoever you want if it's your first run?  Perhaps that is a far better option then doing what to me appears to be a loose screw around at best.  Why bother optimising on a first playthrough when you can just have fun and not sweat about optimisation?

True this is coming from someone who accidently married Chrom on their first run and didn't play around with optimisation until many playthroughs later...and still doesn't really care for it to be perfectly honest...unless I want a goddess Lucina when I'm doing a F!Robin run.  (Also Ignus on Lucina works nicely activates more frequently and Morgan gets rightful king which can be useful depending on the build that you're going for.  Also he starts in the tactician class saving you having to reclass to get veteran because you will want to give him galeforce which is far more useful for him to have then any other female exclusive skill...if you want him to keep up with his mother and what not.)

Edited by TheSilentChloey

3 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

+Speed is usually the go to Asset in this game depending on who you are going to marry.  Most people choose between either -Luck, -Resistance, or even -Defense for their flaw.  I usually choose either luck or defense for the flaw, but it depends on who I am going to marry.  Owain is one the best Magic kids in the game because of Lissa.  Which is what makes Ricken! Owain so good.

Yep, I agree with this again. Basically +Spd and -Lck or -Def are considered the best combinations from what I have heard (although as someone mentioned previously, -Lck does reduce stat caps for Mag and Atk). I actually thought that -HP wasn't a terrible choice either when I first started playing Awakening, since HP will always reach 80 with enough grinding and maybe a few Seraph Robes, but it actually does -1 to more stat caps than I expected lol.

But yes, Owain and Morgan's magic just become amazing with Ricken!Owain. Although I don't pass down Lethality to Morgan since it becomes so unreliable later on (I still love its animation though, it looks so cool when it does activate), this thread was actually an interesting read for me as well for Owain's build since, as I said earlier, I'm currently doing a Lunatic/Classic run and planning to marry Ricken!Owain.

Don't get me wrong though, there are still plenty of other eligible 2nd gen fathers besides Ricken!Owain, such as Lon'qu!Brady who was my second choice for my current run (iirc +7 mag, +5 skl, +6 spd, etc. to Morgan). That, like with Chrom's potential marriages, depends on what kind of Morgan you want since Owain will make a powerful magically offensive Morgan but Brady would make a fast and skilled Morgan.

2 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

How about marrying whoever you want if it's your first run?  Perhaps that is a far better option then doing what to me appears to be a loose screw around at best.  Why bother optimising on a first playthrough when you can just have fun and not sweat about optimisation?

I would normally agree with this especially as OP has said this is their first FE experience, but at the same time they literally stated in their original post "... wanted the best children in the game. Story does not matter so much as I can play them through other ways". Everyone has their own unique way of playing, so I won't argue if that's what they want to do (although I will admit I only tried optimal pairings after a Normal run as well).

Edited by Dolce

I have some extended time off work so I wanted to get through everything so I could see the story till the end before I am back at work. Then mess around with other things and see how other pairings work out. I want to know I wont get stuck and then have to restart late on and then not finish the game before I am back at work. That way when I am back at work I can take a more casual style to my gaming.

However my play style on most games is like this. I always prefer the optimal route first and then mess around with other settings etc. Maybe not the way round most people like but it works for me. If I can know the optimal route I can understand the game better oddly enough when I play through it differently thus I enjoy and understand it more.

Chrom is happily married to Sumia now. But I defiantly think for story reasons next time I am going elsewhere seems she is a bit too sweet for him.

Thanks again guys. I am leaning towards Owain for my avatar once he is born of course.