It seems you can no longer buy orbs through emulators

LuxSpes

I tried to see how much money I had left on my google play balance while playing Heroes and the message I got was :

217dae661a.jpg

EDIT: After looking around, it seems that it's not a notification against the account, but more a new mechanism in the game that prevents the purchase of orbs through emulators (no idea if rooted vs unrooted emulation changes anything.) I can still summon heroes and do arena battles, but it does seem like this enforce F2P status for all emulator players. 

EDIT2: Apparently this issue could also arise on rooted phone, but I'd need confirmation on that.

Edited by LuxSpes

From what Ghast also said, buying orbs on a rooted device (even if it's not an emulator) will not work. Yeah, for some reason the developers felt like banning a lot of people today. I hope this doesn't turn into another Pokemon Go situation...

Wow, that's terrible. Any chance the devs might look into situations like this, or keep their terms the same because of potential abuse?

I play on an emulator (Nox), too, but I don't collect orbs on it and make my purchases exclusively on iOS. To think that I was treading such a fine line...

13 minutes ago, Falcom said:

From what Ghast also said, buying orbs on a rooted device (even if it's not an emulator) will not work. Yeah, for some reason the developers felt like banning a lot of people today. I hope this doesn't turn into another Pokemon Go situation...

I somehow assumed that if I bought orbs through the app, it would send the money to Nintendo regardless of the game being an emulator. Since this was my first mobile game and that I don't own a smart phone, I looked around and saw people say it was ok to use Bluestacks. I have no idea what a rooted device even is (like if an emulator is rooted by default or you have to do some additional step to do so). I'm just kind of depressed and mad at myself for not somehow realizing that there could be a problem with buying orbs on an emulator...

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

Wow, that's terrible. Any chance the devs might look into situations like this, or keep their terms the same because of potential abuse?

I play on an emulator (Nox), too, but I don't collect orbs on it and make my purchases exclusively on iOS. To think that I was treading such a fine line...

I have absolutely no idea. I don't even know if I can dispute this.

All I know is that if this account is banned for good, I'm probably not gonna play Heroes anymore. I have no interest in leaving this account behind and starting from scratch and even if I did, I don't have a smart phone so I'd just risk having it banned again.

Just now, BANRYU said:

Deos having your account banned make you incapable of playing or just incapable of buying orbs?

I can still play the game and do arena match, but they won't allow me to buy orbs which I find weird.

If buying orbs through the emulator meant that my money went to the void or to some third-party and I got orbs back anyway, I can understand that my account got banned.

But if Nintendo received my money, I'm trying to wrap my head around why they would ban such account. They got money anyway, what does it change for them that I was on my PC instead of my phone?

And I know I can still play the game and summon heroes without buying orbs, but I'm afraid that being restricted to the free orbs will just kill my drive to play in the long run when focus with characters I like pass and I can't get them because I got unlucky with the limited orbs.

I guess it's a blessing in disguise for my wallet.

Since they're not banning people from the game, but just blocking purchases, I wonder if it's something on Google's end rather than Nintendo's (don't all in-game purchases technically use Google/Apple as a middleman?)

Yeah it's probably for the best financially speaking dude lol.

And I dunno man, I can't comment on the legal stuff, but if you've already spent money on it then it kind of seems like a waste just to let it sit and rot and never be touched again. Might as well do the best you can with what you got already and suck it up, in which case, welcome to luck-dependent F2P land lol. 

Wow, rooted devices too?  There's nothing wrong with rooted devices though...

I don't think Nintendo knows what its talking about.  They won't allow Android x86 users to play their game either, despite the fact that android x86 is a full, authentic version of windows verified by google. 

Does anyone know if using an emulator is ok as long as we don't purchase orbs...I have two accounts.  How am I supposed to play on two accounts without an emulator?

And before anyone asks, Nintendo should be greatful I have two accounts.  It makes me totally addicted and significantly more likely to spend money on the game (haven't yet though).  And why the hell would they ban people for spending money on the game with an emulator?  They still get the money...LOGIC: "Let's ban some people financing our games...because we don't like the way their financing our game.  They might be hackers despite the fact that their still buying orbs"

EDIT: Wait, I'm confused.  Did they ban your account, or just block the purchase?  This is a bad title.  If they just blocked the purchase this makes total sense, maybe they want to make sure you're using a secure service to purchase things so they aren't liable.

Edited by Lushen

10 minutes ago, Lushen said:

EDIT: Wait, I'm confused.  Did they ban your account, or just block the purchase?  This is a bad title.  If they just blocked the purchase this makes total sense, maybe they want to make sure you're using a secure service to purchase things so they aren't liable.

I guess I could have use the ''Your account cannot be used to purchase Orbs" thing from the in-game notification. I also had just seen Ghast's video who used the same words in the title to describe this issue.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Does anyone who has experienced this have a notification from Nintendo in the "To You" section of their notifications?

My "To You" section only shows "None"

1 minute ago, LuxSpes said:

I guess I could have use the ''Your account cannot be used to purchase Orbs" thing from the in-game notification. I also had just seen Ghast's video who used the same words in the title to describe this issue.

Typical youtuber clickbait.

Are you sure you can't just purchase orbs on your/friend's phone when you need to?  Of course, that would involve you putting your CC On a friend's device...so maybe not.

That's really weird. I use Bluestacks and have every intention to continue playing free, so I haven't had any problems like this, but still, that's a really weird issue. Hopefully they don't do anything worse.

36 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

I somehow assumed that if I bought orbs through the app, it would send the money to Nintendo regardless of the game being an emulator. Since this was my first mobile game and that I don't own a smart phone, I looked around and saw people say it was ok to use Bluestacks. I have no idea what a rooted device even is (like if an emulator is rooted by default or you have to do some additional step to do so). I'm just kind of depressed and mad at myself for not somehow realizing that there could be a problem with buying orbs on an emulator...

Speaking from experience, rooting is a pain in the arse in general.

Thankfully, Nox has built in superuser (root) access that can simply be toggled in the emulation settings, but I previously used Bluestacks and had to stop because the game kept returning support codes every time I restarted my computer and I was getting sick of downloading 400+ MB updates every time I wanted to play, and I couldn't get root to work on it. 

But the more I think about, the more certain I am that the ban can't be disputed at all. It's unfortunate because of the avenue it presents to cheaters, but I think Nintendo getting hung up on emulation in general is more of a "them" problem than an "us" problem.

Looking around, I found information that apparently, despite the notification message saying my account cannot be used to buy orbs, I'll still be able to do it if I got to use a phone to do it. I'll have to edit the first post accordingly

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

But the more I think about, the more certain I am that the ban can't be disputed at all. It's unfortunate because of the avenue it presents to cheaters, but I think Nintendo getting hung up on emulation in general is more of a "them" problem than an "us" problem.

Cheaters wouldn't be buying orbs.  More likely, its a security feature to protect users from not receiving orbs they purchased.

I saw it on Ghast's video first too and tried to look and you can't buy orbs no Nox either. Seems I'm F2P for the rest of the game now.

I doubt the amount of people who will buy smartphones just for the ability to get orbs will outweigh the loss they suffer in sales.

5 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Cheaters wouldn't be buying orbs.  More likely, its a security feature to protect users from not receiving orbs they purchased.

On one hand, cheaters can't actually force the game to generate orbs for them, either, if I recall correctly. The hacking thread had some information on that.

On the other, that's why banning people for buying orbs via emulators for this reason is just dumb. It's hard to understand Nintendo's thought process sometimes...

Edited by MrSmokestack

3 minutes ago, Silith13 said:

I saw it on Ghast's video first too and tried to look and you can't buy orbs no Nox either. Seems I'm F2P for the rest of the game now.

I doubt the amount of people who will buy smartphones just for the ability to get orbs will outweigh the loss they suffer in sales.

If I read MrSmokestack's post right, Nox has a built in switch allowing to toggle rooted/unrooted. Does the problem persist no matter the rooted/unrooted status? 

9 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

If I read MrSmokestack's post right, Nox has a built in switch allowing to toggle rooted/unrooted. Does the problem persist no matter the rooted/unrooted status? 

I can't answer that, sadly. I haven't tried before since orbs don't carry over between Android / iOS, and now I don't want to try given this thread. Is there confirmation that the "ban" doesn't bar unrooted mobile devices from buying orbs with an affected account? That, and I haven't been able to get google play store to work on my end. How did you install the app?

18 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

a used phone should be $100 max. you can play it at a better convenient. but its your choice.

considering you spend money on the game.. i suppose $100 on a used phone via kijiji (Android 4) ... you should be good to go

I bought a seventy pound tablet and that runs it with only a little lag :) It only has 0.5 ram, but the game mostly runs fine with a little bit of freezing. I know everyone doesn't want to do that (and I was buying a tablet anyway), but it's always an option.